Sign in to follow this  
Dylanear

Win 10 2004 and 1.7.14.0 = always stuck on blue bar.

Originally I was running 2004 with the original release version of the game on a standard hard drive. I felt that I needed to speed up the load times so bought and installed a fast nvme ssd which is much, much faster than even an sata ssd but you need a pretty modern mother board with an nvme slot. I did a clean install of a just downloaded 2004 from a usb stick. I then installed the release version of MSFS, copying the main folder over from my original hard drive to a new folder on the ssd and pointed the msfs instalker at it when it asks where you want the install. Only some days after this did the patch release which I installed with no issue. I only write all this to point out that mine was effectively a clean install not one that has evolved over a long time.

• Like 1

The 2004 update may not have anything to do with it. But it was the only thing that changed on the PC after uninstalling and reinstalling. It could simply be a problem reinstalling. It was originally on my E drive a second SSD with more space than my C drive. I've heard there can be problems installing on drives other than the C drive. So, I really don't know at this point. Could just be an install/reinstall issue. Could be that there was something on the PC the original release didn't catch on that 1.7.14 does freeze on? 

All I know is I tried a myriad of ways over about 9 hours and I'm giving up. I have no hope this version is going to run on this Windows install. Hopefully they will patch it again soon and fix this. All my other games and tons of apps all run fine. I can run benchmarks and stress tests all day long. Windows is very stable. Just Flight Simulator refuses to get past that blue bar on the load screen. Freezes just to the right of the highway. Every single time. 

Try the last Windows 10 2020-08 Cumulative Update.

Microsoft release this update last week which solve a lot of bugs that came with the 2004 version.

Go to Settings - Update & Security - View optional updates (in blue). If you have this blue text then click it and go to Other updates - click checkbox 2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview ... (KB4571744) - Click Download and install button.

It can probably help to solve your problem.

Jose Serro

Also make sure to have the Xbox gaming services installed and updated in the Microsoft Store App.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

11 hours ago, JPLS said:

Try the last Windows 10 2020-08 Cumulative Update.

Microsoft release this update last week which solve a lot of bugs that came with the 2004 version.

Go to Settings - Update & Security - View optional updates (in blue). If you have this blue text then click it and go to Other updates - click checkbox 2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview ... (KB4571744) - Click Download and install button.

It can probably help to solve your problem.

Interesting? I'll try this when I'm home from work tonight. What could go wrong? Beside my whole Windows install getting messed up. ;)  Windows update is pretty horrible about giving me the latest updates, I had to install 2004 by downloading the Update Assistant app. I don't see an Update Assistant for this update, but I see a download file? Never used a Win 10 update delivered this way?
2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x86-based Systems (KB4571744)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4571744

11 hours ago, Marco Manieri said:

Also make sure to have the Xbox gaming services installed and updated in the Microsoft Store App.

Yeah, definitely did that. It was all up to date other than a Cortana update. 

23 hours ago, Dylanear said:

Thanks for that report CJ1045. Good data point to have. Maybe reverting to 1909 will not help and be it's own pain in the rear. 

I do think this is a MSFS2020 issue, not an OS issue, but I'm at my wit's end. I don't know anything else to try. Reinstalling over and over and restarting the application over and over certainly has not helped. 

Best to just reinstall windows and start from scratch lol. Next time uninstall the right way and save yourself some headache. And no it's not a msfs2020 or Asobo problem, you messed up when you deleted files. 

9 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Best to just reinstall windows and start from scratch lol. Next time uninstall the right way and save yourself some headache. And no it's not a msfs2020 or Asobo problem, you messed up when you deleted files. 

Lol. A: No way I'm reinstalling Windows for this one app. This is not a dedicated sim/game machine. Primarily it's a machine for my personal work, photography, 3d applications, video editing.

B: Not a msfs2020 or Asobo problem? Funny how countless other apps and games work just fine including DCS, P3D v3 and v4, Xplane 11. Various other Steam apps and games all work fine. The first uninstall and reinstall was done precisely according to the official instructions here:
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016125019-How-to-repair-or-remove-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-on-Steam

There's a huge number of people having issues with this software. But sure, I'm sure it's my fault. Hilarious. 

3 minutes ago, Dylanear said:

Lol. A: No way I'm reinstalling Windows for this one app. This is not a dedicated sim/game machine. Primarily it's a machine for my personal work, photography, 3d applications, video editing.

B: Not a msfs2020 or Asobo problem? Funny how countless other apps and games work just fine including DCS, P3D v3 and v4, Xplane 11. Various other Steam apps and games all work fine. The first uninstall and reinstall was done precisely according to the official instructions here:
https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016125019-How-to-repair-or-remove-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-on-Steam

There's a huge number of people having issues with this software. But sure, I'm sure it's my fault. Hilarious. 

Well alot of us aren't having any problems so it can go both ways. I also use my pc for photography. Trust me, it will do you some good to reinstall windows lol

Just now, devgrp said:

Well alot of us aren't having any problems so it can go both ways. I also use my pc for photography. Trust me, it will do you some good to reinstall windows lol

I do suspect that a clean install of windows would probably do the trick. But if every game and app needed a fresh install of Windows to work that'd be a rather pathetic and untenable situation. Tons of other apps and games install, run, uninstall and reinstall on this system without issue. It would also be a massive inconvenience and large amount of work to get my system back to where it is now. And I also suspect sooner or later there will be an update that will fix the install, reinstall problems so many are experiencing. Hey, it worked just fine for me when I installed on launch day. I guess we'll see. Something will fix it eventually.

Here is one more suggestion I gleaned from https://www.flightsimulator.com/known-issues/
Find your "UserCfg.opt" file (typically located in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator).
Open the file in notepad and verify that InstalledPackagesPath is set to the path where your packages are installed. Note: This is typically the last line in the file
(e.g. InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages")
If not correct, edit the path and save the file then try starting the sim again.

Steve

12 minutes ago, spc4529 said:

Here is one more suggestion I gleaned from https://www.flightsimulator.com/known-issues/
Find your "UserCfg.opt" file (typically located in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator).
Open the file in notepad and verify that InstalledPackagesPath is set to the path where your packages are installed. Note: This is typically the last line in the file
(e.g. InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages")
If not correct, edit the path and save the file then try starting the sim again.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I tried that. Also tried deleting that file entirely, tried leaving that file and deleting the rollingcache file, and obviously tried deleting everything. None of that worked. 

OK, One more thing you might try is deleting your overall "Profile" file and let the Sim re-build it from scratch.
The file is "....\Steam\userdata\<your Steam user number>\1250410\remote\profile_00"
After deleting it, the sim will lead you through the initial setup screens you saw the very first time you ran it.

Steve

Trying update 2020-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4571756), it's newer than  2020-08 Cumulative Update Preview ... (KB4571744), and what Windows Update offered me. Will report back after I try it out. If that doesn't get it, I'll try the Steam profile. 

Thanks for the suggestions! Very appreciated.

hi, have you tried loggin on to your ms or xbox account in edge before starting the game? it happened to me once apparently the game tried to ensure the account is valid once or everytime theres is an update

Edited by kapitan