Sign in to follow this  
Dylanear

Win 10 2004 and 1.7.14.0 = always stuck on blue bar.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:04 PM, CJ1045 said:

I am running 2004 and 1.7.14 no problem at all

CJ

Same here - never any problem or ctd (except when triing to use complex goflight modules - but that s due to still missing driver).

I don t want to miss to mention: I never use any anti-virus software, allways switch off the fire wall on local connections and dispensed user account control - so I allow the operation system to „breathe“.

Well, I tried the latest cumulative updates to Windows and then deleting my profile in Steam for FS2020. Same sticking on the blue bar. 

I guess I could try the logging into my MS account in Edge thing. But I'm more convinced this is a bug with the app catching on something particular on my system. I guess I could try removing any and all related items in the registry after the uninstall before reinstalling. 

Funny thing about the Steam profiles. I tried deleting everything in that directory and while a new profile file wasn't recreated only a config file, the "remote" directory in there was recreated and the files in it reappeared with the same date stamps and content in the files as before, so Steam must be backing up and restoring those on their end?

I'm tempted to try a Game Pass trial account and trying the Microsoft version of the game in case this is a Steam problem. I've generally found Steam games and apps very reliable and install, uninstall, reinstall on multiple machines without troubles.

You are not alone sir, as I am going through the almost exact same grief as you. I finally caved in after far mour than nine hours of trying to fix, and installed it with no problem on an older computer. I went back to the computer having failed attempts, and formatted the hard drive. I booted up, got everything needed, and commenced to download the sim.

It gets to the blue bar and with under 1 GB downloaded, crashes and automatically reboots the computer. I downloaded it via Steam, and as you stated have never had a problem downloading or upgrading a patch for another game.

I hope you figure it out, and if you do please let me know. I'll try it again in a few days when I can tolerate the frustration.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, CJ1045 said:

I am running 2004 and 1.7.14 no problem at all

CJ

Same here, NO problem with that combination on my LOW END PC.😀

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I know you are reluctant to format and fresh install as I suggested in a much earlier post in this thread, but you have been battling this thing for several days. My guess is that you have some bunged Windows registry issues at the very least. If you factor in the time you are spending on trouble shooting and the immense frustration that goes with it, and will continue to go through, you are really better off considering the option. As I stated, Windows takes 10 minutes to install. Then you need to install your copy of Microsoft Office maybe? Another 15 minutes, and another 10 to set up your email. 10 minutes here and there to install apps like Adobe Reader, maybe Photoshop... sometimes it just does not make sense in time and hassle. The rest you can install as and when you need it.

If you do decide to go this route, just make sure you back up all your files, including your email data file. I see you have several drives so that will be easy. Do not install another antivirus, Windows Defender is perfectly adequate. Do not install stuff like CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Keep your pc free of junk, it will be faster and more stable.

if you are unsure how, there are excellent step by step tutorials here: https://www.tenforums.com

Either way you play it, good luck.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

2 hours ago, Jack B said:

It gets to the blue bar and with under 1 GB downloaded, crashes and automatically reboots the computer.

What did you install prior to installing the sim on the fresh Windows install? Anti virus package? Did you install any specific drivers for your motherboard, or let Windows handle it. Did you install 2004 from a USB, deleting old partitions and creating new ones? Does Windows Device Manager show a clean report, no missing drivers?

Another thing to try is go to Control Panel and open up the option for Power Plans. Change settings there to High Performance option, not allowing PC or components or drives to go to sleep. Set max performance for everything. You need to select the option to Show other power plans as the high power option is hidden by default.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

2 hours ago, Jack B said:

You are not alone sir, as I am going through the almost exact same grief as you. 

[Snip]

I hope you figure it out, and if you do please let me know. I'll try it again in a few days when I can tolerate the frustration.

Misery loves company, helps to hear I'm not the only one with deep frustrations. But sorry to hear of your troubles. I'll certainly keep this thread updated with my future successes and/or failures. I'll keep messing with it a bit, but mostly have lost all hope until the next patch, version release. The only thing I plan on trying in the near term is getting an xbox game pass trial and see if I'm just having a Steam version issue or something more fundemental to FS2020 itself.

10 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

I know you are reluctant to format and fresh install as I suggested in a much earlier post in this thread, but you have been battling this thing for several days. My guess is that you have some bunged Windows registry issues at the very least. If you factor in the time you are spending on trouble shooting and the immense frustration that goes with it, and will continue to go through, you are really better off considering the option. As I stated, Windows takes 10 minutes to install. Then you need to install your copy of Microsoft Office maybe? Another 15 minutes, and another 10 to set up your email. 10 minutes here and there to install apps like Adobe Reader, maybe Photoshop... sometimes it just does not make sense in time and hassle. The rest you can install as and when you need it.

If you do decide to go this route, just make sure you back up all your files, including your email data file. I see you have several drives so that will be easy. Do not install another antivirus, Windows Defender is perfectly adequate. Do not install stuff like CCleaner and Malwarebytes. Keep your pc free of junk, it will be faster and more stable.

if you are unsure how, there are excellent step by step tutorials here: https://www.tenforums.com

Either way you play it, good luck.

Window 10 install in 10 minutes?! I have not found that to be the case. 🙂 Maybe once I get a new mobo with NVMe. I actually have no plans to reinstall Windows until then and that could be a year from now or more, this old workhorse X79 system has held up amazingly well for it's age. A rtx 3080 may eat up my hardware budget for the next year!  And I have a LOT more than just Office and Adobe Reader. The time of the OS install is minor compared to re-installing everything else on the PC. I probably have about 10 or 12 imaging applications from Photoshop, to Capture One, Video apps DaVinci Resolve, Premiere Pro,  I have various 3D apps like Maya, Houdini, Unreal. I have a large slew of other games, benchmarks, wide variety of utilities. Not to mention DCS, Prepar3d, X Plane. And other than Fight Sim 2020, everything works great. This has been a solid install of Windows for some time and I've spent ages getting everything installed and everything set up as I like it. Third time I'm saying it in this thread, I will NOT be reinstalling Windows for one just released app that's only had it's first patch when dozens and dozens of other apps, many related to my profession and livelihood, are working beautifully. I'm working 60+ hour weeks for at least another month, I need this PC working as is for the foreseeable future. 

I spent my one day off this week trying everything under the sun to get FS2020 working again and other than a few tries here and there, I'm done spending time on this until the next patch/update is out. But at some point I will try the Game Pass trial and see if that version of FS2020 has any better luck installing and starting. And I plan on taking some time soon to properly document my case at FS zendesk.

I appreciate these suggestions come from trying to help and I do agree a fresh install is likely to fix whatever glitch is causing FS freezing. But there's no assurance of that, could be the current drivers for my hardware are problematic with this build of FS. And even if I knew for absolute certain it would make FS run perfectly I simply can not reinstall the OS for at least a month when I'd have time to reinstall my vast trove of apps and get everything else in place in a non stressful pace. And I'm not inclined to spend any future time off reinstalling a whole C drive. Now, buying a new SSD and installing a fresh, separate Win 10 install to boot from alternately is a tempting test, possible temporary way to fly on my limited days off, leaving my current OS install and SSD as is. 

But I encourage any and all suggestions OTHER than an OS reinstall.  🙂  Keep 'em coming if you got em. Maybe this thread will make a generally helpful compilation of things to try for people who are freezing during the blue bar after a new install or reinstall. 

Edited by Dylanear
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:35 AM, Dylanear said:

This is not a dedicated flight sim machine. This is my general PC and it's got a lot of important apps and various set ups on it. A full reinstall of the OS is days and days of full time work to get everything set back up. That's simply not happening any time soon. 

Sorry to hear that Slait. Very worrisome. I've paid for the sim and the deluxe/premium content and it was more or less working before the patch and my reinstall attempts. So the idea this may be unresolvable for the indeterminate future is deeply frustrating. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I sure hope there's some unmentioned work on reliability and installation/start up issues! I guess we'll see around the 20th. 

PATCH #2!

• Patch is finishing final testing. Being prepped for release.
  • Patch will be released within the next 10 days.
  • Full patch notes will be released with the patch.

PATCH #2 HIGHLIGHTS (full patch notes will be released with the patch)

• Performance improvements
  • ATC updates
  • UI updates
  • Aerodynamic updates
  • Aircraft updates
  • Cockpit visuals and animation updates
  • General aviation system updates
  • General aviation avionic updated
  • Airliner system updates
  • Airliner avionic updates
  • Live Weather updates – (e.g. 225/3kt wind fixed, persistency fixed, etc.)
  • Upgraded multiplayer servers
  • Marketplace updates
  • Content Manager updates
  • Localization updates
  • Accessibility updates
  • Camera updates
  • Bush Trip updates (e.g. completion trigger fixed/Completionist achievement fixed)
  • World updates

Hi!

I am experiencing the exact same problem.

Tried everything mentioned here and on ten other forums at least.

Spent 10 hours. I give up and wait for the next patch.

Well folks. I signed up for the Game Pass $1 first month. Installed FS2020 (the first 1gb) and on the first try to "play it" it just gave an error about "bad game data, unable to proceed". I waited a day and tried it last night and it started right up and took me to the big (90gb) download. That took about an hour and it completed then hung. I restarted and it worked, was able to take a flight. Which is fantastic, even if I don't have the deluxe/premium content I paid for on Steam. And it has crashed about 8 times in 4 hours, mostly when changing settings, especially anything related to the rolling cache. But it has not crashed when flying like I had in the Steam version when it still worked pre 1.7.14.0. 

SO.... If you have given up getting the Steam version working, it may be worth trying the XBox version. I'll try the Steam version again after patch 2 is out. 

Hi!

Just had an exchange with Steam support.

They claim the game was fully downloaded from their end and that MS is patching the updates directly (which I knew) - So it is not their responsibility. I reminded them I actually bought and paid for the game at Steam and that I regard them as responsible for the transaction, that the game is installing and running properly on my PC. If they can not help me I will demand a full refund and buy the game directly from MS.

Good luck with that, Ambivrt. My understanding is you can't get a refund from Steam after 2 hours of gameplay. But the large majority of now 23 hours of "play" racked up on the Steam version is from hours and hours of constantly trying and failing to get it to run. It is infuriating. I've never had any problems with a Steam game/app in about 10 years or more of use, but this one is a disaster. And a $120 USD disaster. $160 Canadian. I suspect this will all get worked out eventually, but it may not be soon. Praying the patch 2 fixes it, but given patch 1 was where I first ran into issues, I have my doubts.

15 hours ago, Dylanear said:

Good luck with that, Ambivrt. My understanding is you can't get a refund from Steam after 2 hours of gameplay. But the large majority of now 23 hours of "play" racked up on the Steam version is from hours and hours of constantly trying and failing to get it to run. It is infuriating. I've never had any problems with a Steam game/app in about 10 years or more of use, but this one is a disaster. And a $120 USD disaster. $160 Canadian. I suspect this will all get worked out eventually, but it may not be soon. Praying the patch 2 fixes it, but given patch 1 was where I first ran into issues, I have my doubts.

I got a full refund from Steam after a second try and a bit harsher tone from my side.

Bought the game on the Xbox store and installation went butter-smooth. All good. Finally.