Sign in to follow this  
Scottoest

OrbX Innsbruck vs. MSFS Premium Innsbruck Head-to-Head

https://fselite.net/reviews/head-to-head-orbx-innsbruck-and-msfs-hand-crafted-airport/

Basically the "premium" airport has buildings etc. in the right locations, but appears to be created using a lot of the sim's generic assets with a few bespoke touches.  On the other hand, the OrbX version goes all-in on the very fine details.

I'm sure people who own it already know all of this haha, but it's interesting to see the direct comparison screenshots and stuff.

Edited by Scottoest
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for posting. The extra detail on the Orbx version makes a big difference. But the faults in the Orbx winter snow images should never have escaped quality checking. The snow effect on the airfield looks notably less good than the original MSFS. The patches of completely missing snow texture are a glaring immersion killer. Seems to be another of a series of issues with Orbx addons, rushed out for MSFS. Hopefully will be fixed before too long.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

John B

That's a nice comparison. The only problem with it that it just compares the eye-candy. The default handcrafted airport works with all core airport functions right now, while the OrbX one doesn't.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

While the review is very laudatory to Orbx, I do note small things like default airport vehicles actually having interiors rather than simply textures like the Orbx versions. 🤔

When going back and forth between the two versions, there is a definite difference, but considering its not an airport I have high interest in, its a knife edge decision whether there is enough difference to coax money out of my wallet.

Still pondering.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I see literally zero reason to get the Orbx version of this airport, unless you are from that region. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

6 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

That's a nice comparison. The only problem with it that it just compares the eye-candy. The default handcrafted airport works with all core airport functions right now, while the OrbX one doesn't.

Really? I didn't know that. What core functions are you referring to?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

As expected, there's a lot of room for high-quality payware scenery to replace the MFS default scenery, even with the "hand-drafted" airports included in the three different MFS versions. Innsbruck LOWI is such an iconic and scenic airport, and ORBX has been the master in reproducing it at his best.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 hours ago, captain420 said:

Really? I didn't know that. What core functions are you referring to?

Working approaches, ground services, things like that. Fixes for that might be on the way, but most payware airports (not just from OrbX) seem to suffer from problems with the SDK right now that prevents them from having all of the features and functionality of the default airports. 

For me, the quality of default handcrafted airports is perfect: Apart from the 2 or 3 airports that I do know really well and would buy addon scenery for, I wouldn't recognizes the little details anyway.

11 hours ago, Biggles2010 said:

But the faults in the Orbx winter snow images should never have escaped quality checking.

Apparently it’s a bug asobo are aware of..... 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

I have purchased the orbx version and am impressed and have not noticed any drop in FPS. There are a couple of issues that need to be resolved, static aircraft can't be turned off and the PAPI lights for Rwy 08 don't work - always show white.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My summation is that the MSFS 2020 general scenery is the best in flight sims so far

I have MSFS 2020, P3Dv5hf2 and X- Plane

However details of airports are not comparable with Addons like Orbx when they are available 
Early days!

xxd09

The one thing that bothers me the most, is the default lack of markings and texturing detail on the runways, taxiways, and parking aprons in all the MSFS default airports.

Otherwise they are pretty good as default!

Chris Camp

The thing that sticks out for me with the hand crafted airports vs third party is Microsoft versions are all missing corporate signage and logos on hangers etc.

for example the JetBlue hanger in MCO is indeed blue in the Microsoft handcrafted but doesn’t have the JetBlue logo on it. Usually 3rd party developers have all the correct logos in place.

Just a relatively small thing but if you know something is meant to be there and it isn’t it tends to jump out at you.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.