Sign in to follow this  
Kronzky

Landing Gauge

If you like to practice your landings (or test your aircraft tweaks), here's a gauge that might help a bit with that:

It replaces the mechanical hour counter (which probably nobody cares about anyway), and shows altitude & sink speed during approach, and then, once landed, measures the distance until the plane comes to a full stop, and retains the vertical speed which was achieved at touchdown.

Unfortunately, it only works with planes that have that hour counter gauge, but if you're handy with config files, you might be able to replace another unused gauge with it...

• Like 2

Yeah, for normal flying it doesn't really matter all that much.

But once you get into bush flying, where a stopping distance of 50' more than planned might mean a crash, you really want to bring your top game when it comes to landings... ;)

Thanks for sharing...

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

On 9/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, Kronzky said:

If you like to practice your landings (or test your aircraft tweaks), here's a gauge that might help a bit with that:

It replaces the mechanical hour counter (which probably nobody cares about anyway), and shows altitude & sink speed during approach, and then, once landed, measures the distance until the plane comes to a full stop, and retains the vertical speed which was achieved at touchdown.

Unfortunately, it only works with planes that have that hour counter gauge, but if you're handy with config files, you might be able to replace another unused gauge with it...

This doesnt work for me, do I need any external software?

6 hours ago, Lourenco7 said:

This doesnt work for me, do I need any external software?

No, you only need the gauge.

Where did you install it, and which plane are you trying to use it with?

Install what? that's my question...

What do I have to install, where and how?

I used the same airplane as video and the same gauge, but only hours appear

This is targeted at those who are new to flight sims,  but many airport have what are known as PAPI lights.    These lights will help you capture the right glide slope and will help you grease landings with a little judicial energy management.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

Furthermore,  you can use geometry to evaluate your glide path.   There will be one point on the runway that doesn't appear to move upward or downward as you approach the runway,   that spot is on your glide path.

Edited by Waldo Pepper