Sign in to follow this  
fbass

Interesting to see what folks outside our community are saying

You don't find the:Do you have any trouble running fs2004 with 2350 votes (compared to 62 reviews on amazon presently) that states:Yes Pc too slowYes graphics card problemsYes fs2004 can't startNo it runs fine with the top three clearly outweighing the "no it runs fine" somewhat similar?http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I don't know Geofa if your reading that correctly (or if I'm reading it correctly). I like Amazon's review system. I'm going to look at some other sites and see what reviewers are saying about FSX compared to previous versions. From what I've found so far your argument about this being the same set of issues all over again like what we saw with FS9 is officially blown out the water. FSX is in a class by itself...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well I think the stats on that site are pretty clear-the bars represent the number of votes and clearly the unhappy are the majority with fs2004. The amazon review and current polls out now such as you posted yesterday have only about 62 for the amazon to about 100 votes total for the other site-and I thought the other site looks pretty favorable-especially compared to the above fs2004 link. It is way to early to draw any conclusions however. It would be interesting to know the sales at amazon vs. the reviews at this point. I know when I buy something I rarely give a review if I am satisfied-but certainly do when not.In any case we will know in time. If you are really interested-try to find similar polls on fly,flyII,propilot, and flight unlimited.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest FxF3

Sorry amazon reviews are not polls. There just reviews half the people don't even own the product when they so call review it. I have read some stupid reviews on places like amazon.This is just an example review made up by me but you get the point.EXample onPlay Station rules Xbox Stinks I dont own a PS yet but it rules anyway. My bother said Xbox stinks and he knows because his friend which don't have one tolds him so.EXample off.The real test will be in about a year. Right now FSX works for me so I'm happy. Thats my vote.

Guest JoJoDawg

>Not only some people think all is going well, they even have>the gall to say that all of us are BS. 50 odd of those 64 gave>FSX a pathetic review-take that!!Unfortunatly half of those 50 are on crack. All I had to do is read the first few and conclude some of these idiots have no clue.Heck the first person was comparing framerates against fps games.Another person was saying his 300mghz box "that he/she thinks MS saysit is a optimal machine" would not even load. Well duh it doesn't evenmeet half the specs.Ken B#*$# and moaned about not having forward viz in 2d panel view and has "thousands of hours in the previous sims". Well maybe he shouldcheck out the option menu sometime and figure out things you can control.Btw my old honk of junk gets 10-20 fps on the barren landscape areas, but your're not going to see me B8$*3 and moan about how it runs. Onlypeople I feel sorry for is all the install and activation issuses. Ihad a install problem that was fixed by just switching out dvd players.

Guest JIMJAM

Im willing to bet FSX is a strong contender for Flight Sim of the Year.

Guest B1900 Mech

I agree that this sim is a bloated dog,but what really kills this hobby of mine is the upcoming micro$oft eula for vista. A company couldn't have picked a better way to kill this hobby for people on fixed incomes. FS9 is it for me,Then its on to something new.Whats funny is that I work for a part 121 airline and my quality of living is actually going down :-lol Oh well,Ill keep playing powerball.

"I guess I object to knowledgeable folk like yourself who paint the FSX product AND the FS franchise with *your* paint brush. You do not speak for me. I do NOT object to your voicing your opinion, nor do I object to your opinion itself. Just that it goes no farther than your nose and those of he folks who share your view - right or wrong - and the same goes with my opinion."Vic, Thats cool I dont take any offense to what you say. We all are entitled to our opinions. I will say one thing, I was a beta tester and I cant say much more than that. I don't profess to speak for anyone else in here. What I am trying to get across is that If you are familiar with my history and my demeanor, I'm not a hothead. I have given a substantial amount of my time to this community and I WANT this sim to succeed in this arena. I don't see how its going to happen with what we have and it bugs me. So I post about it. Arguing about how many fps you can get is pointless. Pointing out things like porked landclass, memory issues, and installation bugs is not. Thats why I am here. The beta is over, and its time for the world to let MS and Aces know what we want fixed. If we don't say anything, do you want to live with a stuttering mess once we the aftermarket products start coming out? Personally I think there are several huge things Aces could do to help. We will see I guess. Hopefully it wont take too long. I understand the discomfort some have with this but I have always been all about telling it like it is, this situation is no different.Hornit

Arguing about sales is a moot point. This sim will sell hugely. Just the fact that they have plastered the TV with adds this time around will make a giant difference IMHO. Who in here has NOT seen that add??Hornit

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Initial sales ARE NEVER the end all be all of the products strength in the market. We need to wait for the end of the fiscal year to get a better outlook. If there are LOT's of unsold newly created inventory it will counter initial sales as well as returned units.

> Thats cool I dont take any offense to what you say. We all>are entitled to our opinions. I will say one thing, I was a>beta tester and I cant say much more than that....and unless you quit reading the ng, you should be as aware as I am that ACES knows all about the problems and are working hard towards a resolution... one which may hopefully be rolled into the planned DX10 update.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest FxF3

Its great sales are up means more FSX simmers the more the better.:) They will find it can be a great hobbie or even more.

I've been reading, with great interest, the rash of complaints concerning FSX. I would like to venture a point of view about what I believe is the problem. Most of the following is conjecture and not based on hard evidence.Supposition #1: Most of the complainers do not have systems that support FSX - regardless of what you've read on the "box." The reason for this is simple - the minimum requirements for operating FSX will not meet the expectations of most users AND these specs are not meant to allow the operation of FSX at max'd out settings. Bottom line - turn down the sliders or put up with the problems - your choice.Partial Evidence #1: Many people who complain about FSX have included in their posts their own system's specs. It is my opinion that most of you do not have enough system to do the job. Many of you have high-powered CPUs but you do not have enough RAM or video memory. I run a 3.8GHz CPU but I have 4Gb of RAM and my graphics card has 512Mb of high-speed memory. I run FSX with all sliders max'd out, high resolution, and 100% AI (over 7,000 afct installed) and I do not have any problems with the sim. Yes, I know many of you cannot afford to purchase more components. Therefore, I say to you - turn it down. You can't get there from here with what you have.Supposition #2: I noticed many people have pumped-up CPUs. I would bet good money that many of you do not have matched memory modules that work with these high-output CPUs. It took me three tries to get proper memory sticks to support my CPU - Corsair. It is more expensive but I can tell you it was absolutely worth it. NOTE: Cheap memory WILL NOT work.Supposition #3: Many folks out there that are complaining are "gamers." By that I mean they look upon FSX as just another video game. WRONG! FSX is NOT a game and requires much more experience with installation, operation, and management. The bottom line - it is NOT for the faint of heart. Far too many people think that FSX is a plug-n-play piece of software. They don't realize that it takes many hours of practice and some amount of knowledge of flight to successfuly operate the program.Partial Evidence #2: I've seen a number of posts in various forums about how FSX does not support dual-core CPUs. Most of these people miss the point entirely. The feature of a dual-core CPU that supports FSX (indirectly) is that you can run OTHER FSX support software using the second CPU. Add-ons like weather or interactive ATC can be run on the second CPU.Partial Evidence #3: I've also seen a number of posts that included screen shots of graphical problems associate with scenery. There was a post that displayed a screen shot of NZAA showing a horrible problem with a building. In many of the cases, I tried those same airports on my system and there were no such graphical problems. In my opinion, this goes back to RAM and video memory shortages.Supposition #4: Installation woes. I have no idea about the experience level of people who had installation problems but I would bet there was some user error involved. I installed a number of BETA disks and the new retail version and had absolutely no problems with installation. In every case I uninstalled each version and cleaned up disk before installing the next one. Some might say I was lucky but I don't think so.For the record - yes, I am an FSX BETA tester; no, I am not beholden to either ACES or MS. No, I don't have any dogs in the hunt other than to make this software the best it can be. That means providing information that can help those who do not have the experience to work with FSX properly. I am not throwing rocks at anyone but I believe those that are complaining the loudest are those that are not used to working with this level of software complexity.Come on folks. It will get better - I promise.fb

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Howdy, I briefly ran through some of this stuff. But all I can say is Big Brother. The best way to sway people towards a new system is make it a convience and make the older system look more like a nuisance so on and so on. Or just force them it's this way or the highway. And once you can get one sheep to move in the general direction the rest will follow. LOL Dang near giving our rights of freedom just to change hardware on our CPU's lol. Can't wait to see what it is gonna be like 20 yrs from now. Guess by then we will have to call to get permission to change our underwear. Just my 2 cents worth. Woops I mean my 2 credits worth whats money. Happy Landings, JoshP.S. Good thing there are still some white knuckle dirt grit eating hard noses still left in this world for now. Oh yeah don't see a post from me in a week or two probably got whacked for making this comment (LOL).