Sign in to follow this  
Rusty10

Having Trouble With Yoke/Stick

Hi everyone.

I am really struggling controlling aircraft, in particular the TBM and Kingair.

I will try and explain, taxi - no issue, takeoff roll - slight controller issue (might be P Factor?). Rotation - aircraft pitches up/rolls all over the place! I cannot fly straight and level or even follow the FD.

I have tried both my VR Insight Yoke and my CH Combatstick, same issues. I have also tried setting curves/sensitivities within the Sim and by using SPADNext, still issues. I have even modified the flightdynamics.cfg effectiveness without success.

I have RL flying experience and for me the Sim is all over the place where I cannot seem to be able to control the a/c!

Please, if anyone has any tips or any suggestions on setting up controllers I would be most grateful?

Cheers!

Russ Bailey

EGJB

I had a similar issue. Check your physics settings, somehow I had it set to "legacy", I switched it back to "modern" and all was good again.

Edited by VIPERGTSR01

1 hour ago, Rusty10 said:

Hi everyone.

I am really struggling controlling aircraft, in particular the TBM and Kingair.

I will try and explain, taxi - no issue, takeoff roll - slight controller issue (might be P Factor?). Rotation - aircraft pitches up/rolls all over the place! I cannot fly straight and level or even follow the FD.

I have tried both my VR Insight Yoke and my CH Combatstick, same issues. I have also tried setting curves/sensitivities within the Sim and by using SPADNext, still issues. I have even modified the flightdynamics.cfg effectiveness without success.

I have RL flying experience and for me the Sim is all over the place where I cannot seem to be able to control the a/c!

Please, if anyone has any tips or any suggestions on setting up controllers I would be most grateful?

Cheers!

Hi,

You need to make some adjustments on the "flight_model" for the Kingair (TBM has that file hidden and can't adjust), before you do that please back it up.

So adjust the following please:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]

empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 26918.32  //35351 ; Empty pitch moment of inertia, Jxx (SLUG SQ FEET)
empty_weight_roll_MOI = 17362.97  //35351  ;18746 ; Empty roll moment of inertia, Jzz (SLUG SQ FEET)
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 34898.38  //51570 ; Empty yaw moment of inertia, Jyy (SLUG SQ FEET)
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 100 ; Empty transverse moment of inertia, Jyz (SLUG SQ FEET)

[FLIGHT_TUNING]

cruise_lift_scalar = 1
parasite_drag_scalar = 1
induced_drag_scalar = 1
flap_induced_drag_scalar = 1

elevator_effectiveness = 0.4   //0.8
elevator_maxangle_scalar = 0.8
aileron_effectiveness = 1.5  //0.95
rudder_effectiveness = 0.8
rudder_maxangle_scalar = 0.5

pitch_stability = 2.5
roll_stability = 1.0
yaw_stability = 2
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.33  //1.28

aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1
rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1
hi_alpha_on_roll = 0
hi_alpha_on_yaw = 0
p_factor_on_yaw = 1
torque_on_roll = 1
gyro_precession_on_roll = 1
gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1
engine_wash_on_roll = 1 ; Torque effect
rudder_engine_wash_on_roll = 4 ; Torque effect
wingflex_scalar = 1
wingflex_offset = 0

Regarding flight controls, please set yoke sensitivity at -9% and dead zones at 1.

You should be good to go, let me know how is working for you.

The issues here, I see problems related to pitch, roll, yaw moments and stability settings that make all the airplanes to behave totally unrealistic.

The control settings are also very rudimentary in aspect of adjusting and calibrating especially if you compare with XP 11 and even P3D. Instead of progressing and improving they went backwards on this issue (between many others).

In my opinion either they didn't listen to the beta testers or beta testers flight knowledge and experience was very limited or no real flight experience at all to bring a pleasant flight experience for the sim community.

From a real pilot point of view, unfortunately, how the airplanes behave (regarding being so uncontrollable, jumpy all over the place constantly)  it is not even close to the reality.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Hi many thanks for the replies, I will try and report back.

Thanks again, cheers.

Russ Bailey

EGJB

Quick update.

Kingair seems better thank you @killthespam for those edits. Also changed the physics back to modern and thank you @VIPERGTSR01 for that tip.

The TBM still feels a little twitchy with pitch if anyone else could confirm its the same for you and if so any recommendations?

Cheers!

Russ Bailey

EGJB

Having the same experience here. I am a real-world Cessna 172 pilot. A few years ago, I spent a few extra dollars to purchase a Cirrus Precision Flight Control yoke and higher-end Saitek rudder pedals that have worked flawlessly, supported by BOTH FSX and Prepare 3Dv4.5 for every aircraft in the sim, and which could be easily calibrated via the sim or with FSUIPC for a smooth, realistic flight experience that I found to be an indispensably useful training tool for a VFR/IFR pilot.

But these controllers have been rendered useless in FS2020. And I am quite familiar with where and how to access and edit controller sensitivity and dead-zone settings in FS2020 (thanks Squirrel!). But nothing works. Aileron and rudder axes are uncontrollably jerky, snap-rolling my aircraft into 60-degree banks, or snap-yawing the airplane far left or right of the centerline with the most minor of inputs,  no matter how or where I set the sensitivity/dead-zone sliders in FS2020 (currently aileron and rudder sensitivity 50%, with a 4% dead zone). Every takeoff is met with a stall warning after a zig-zagging takeoff roll. And if I do manage to get the aircraft airborne, landings are more like a real world emergencies than controlled smooth, enjoyable, or realistic experience.

I think FS 2020 is a X-Box gamer's sim. Great graphics. Super-realistic aircraft (though gone is the ability to access and undock 2-D panels like the G1000 MFDs and PFDs and drag them to a separate monitor below your windscreen view), scenery and weather I hoped to use as a training tool before a real-world VFR flight to an unfamiliar destination before I tried it for real in a 172. But no joy. I'm not going to dumb-down to cheaper, unrealistic hand-held controllers or FS9 joysticks and basic pedals just to make this work.  Maybe there will be a fix, maybe not. I wonder if they beta-tested this with real-world pilots? It's hard to imagine so.

Best From Baltimore,

• Like 1

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Have a check on external view before takeoff. For some reason I am finding that a lot of the prop planes have massive amounts of trim applied when the sim starts, like -65 for instance.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:01 PM, Rusty10 said:

Quick update.

Kingair seems better thank you @killthespam for those edits. Also changed the physics back to modern and thank you @VIPERGTSR01 for that tip.

The TBM still feels a little twitchy with pitch if anyone else could confirm its the same for you and if so any recommendations?

Cheers!

If you want the Caravan C208

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]

empty_weight_roll_MOI = 18262 

[FLIGHT_TUNING]

elevator_effectiveness = 1.4  //1

aileron_effectiveness = 1.3   //1.4  //1.15
rudder_effectiveness = 0.5  //1

pitch_stability = 2.0  //0.25
roll_stability = 2.3  //2.0  //1.5  //0.25
yaw_stability = 2.0  //0.25
elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.45  //1.35  //1.25

Enjoy!

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Yes thank you @killthespam and @VIPERGTSR01for the suggested tweaks. I'm going to test them in FS2020 tonight and report back.

AC

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

my experience...

I had a few flight devices plugged in (stick, yoke, throttle...).  Win 10 sees all this stuff, calibration no problem, very smooth.  MSFS also sees this stuff, sensitivity curves seem fine and smooth.  But things were still stupid and crazy when trying to fly, very twitchy.  So, when actually in the plane I went to an external view and watched the flight surfaces, and yes they twitched all over the place.  So I went into Widows and disable the other devices - no change, What??  So then I physically unplugged them and that was the magic bullet for me, very smooth now. 

Also do not forget to delete the default surface wind that is in all the pre-made wx selections.  You cant do this for the live wx, but I can tell you that regardless of the real world wx metar, it will still populate a ground level wind in excess of 5 knots, which of course turns on the turbulence.  This all may be fixed in the next patch.  

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K