Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Balkans – Mountains & Seas

Balkans – Mountains & Seas

The Balkans are a geographic area in southeastern Europe which takes its name from the Balkan Mountains that stretch throughout the whole of Bulgaria from the Serbian–Bulgarian border to the Black Sea coast. The Balkan Peninsula is bordered by the Adriatic Sea in the northwest, the Ionian Sea in the southwest, the Aegean Sea in the south.  Our flight will follow a zig zag route starting from Dubrovnik (LDDU) on the Adriatic Sea, proceeding southeast to Skopje (LWSK) in North Macedonia, and then turning southwest to the Island of Corfu (LGKR) on the Ionian Sea. Back across the mountains we land at Skithios (LGSK).  The last leg takes us across the Agean Sea to the Island of Samos (LGSM).  The total length of the route is 670nm.  While there are only four legs they are longish (150nm – 180nm) and will require an aircraft capable of cruising at 300knts.

Recommended Aircraft: Regional Airliner - Majestic Dash 8 Q400, Aerosoft CRJ.  As always you are free to fly any aircraft you wish.

6poSbxz.jpg

Note on Airports Selected: I selected the airports in the route because I have spent good money on payware and intend to get more value from these purchases.  Dubrovnik (LDDU) is Orbx, Corfu (LGKR) is FlyTampa, while Skithios (LGSK) & Samos (LGSM) are 29 Palms.  Of course the default airports will work perfectly well. 

In addition to the flight plan the pilots resource package contains some additional documentation that may be helpful for Q400 drivers.  There is a zip file with Q400 route (fpr) files for each leg.

Q400 Balkans Pilots Resource Package Link: HERE

• Date and time: Saturday Sep 12, 2018. 18:00 UTC. 
  • Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel
  • Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com
  • Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D).

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet (linked here). Your courtesy will save others a lot of time and effort. Thanks!

Recommend that you set your departure clock to 16:00 (4pm) in local time.

• Upvote 2

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

For those of you that don't own these payware airports and don't want to invest in new scenery now due to the infatuation with the awesomeness and perfection of MSFS there is an alternative. The Avsim library has all of these airports. They are for FSX so may not work in P3Dv3,4,or 5. I intend to try them tomorrow in P3Dv3 and will post my results. I can't help you with proper operational technique for the Q400 but having nicer scenery than default may alleviate the pain somewhat when you crash.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thanks Ted...
I too downloaded some from the library.. ( had the others ) For FSX.
- A nice upgrade, nothing special, for LWSK
- An awesome setup for LGSK by the famed George Keogh, but requires jumping through a hoop or 2.. ( primary, required, <optional, no need for the additional downloads with this optional file> )
Just got done doing elevation checks, all good there but... Can someone show me how to fly the Maddog? 😎
09Sep20%20134219%20%5BLGSM%20@%200.5nm%5

• Upvote 1

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Our final destination is Samos [LGSM]. This is an especially interesting finale because its tricky approach into Runway 09 is famous among European airline pilots. The 09 approach is made difficult because it requires the airliner to approach from the south and then circle to land. (A straight-in approach is impossible due to high terrain west of the airport.) What might seem to be preferable, an approach to land on Runway 27, is made less desirable because this too requires a tight turn for finals. And the local winds produce especially dangerous gusts and windshear for the Rwy27 approach. A straight in approach here is illegal because it would violate Turkish airspace which is prohibited for landings on the Greek island.

A brief description of this approach, along with videos, can be found here. (This document stems from our visit to Samos two years ago.)

The default runway is ok but the airport itself is rather barren with no local color. Pilots may wish to install the "Samos Package" by George Keogh. This is excellent for P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 pilots. And it retains its meaningful character in P3Dv5 despite the presence of P3Dv5 terminal which makes the realistic Keogh version look as though it has been enhanced with a glass and steel addition.

This package requires George Keogh's Samos Airport, Dimitris Ntaskas's Samos Photoreal v2.0 as well as George Keogh's Keffallinia. (Keogh includes clear instructions for the three-part installation.) However, if you would like a one-step not-quite-correct option, look in your email inbox.

• Upvote 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

7 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

infatuation with the awesomeness and perfection of MSFS

Meiow. 😄

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

7 hours ago, spokes2112 said:

Can someone show me how to fly the Maddog?

No Problem:

1. Control-E

2. Full throttles

3. Follow Jeff.

1 hour ago, MM said:

it requires the airliner to approach from the south and then circle to land.

Sounds like another Milford Sound but with high winds and possible hostile fire for a fireworks like Grand Finale while trying to keep everything working in the Q400......:ohmy: Thanks for the heads up Mike. I think I'd better practice this one in advance.

• Like 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

WOW - There sure are enough procedures for this area, a mind blowing headache!
Decided will try the available SID/STARs for the flight. The planning took longer than the flight will be!
So, if you are a "button pusher" or at least, want a hand flying reference in your FMC, here are my notes & intentions:

1) LDDU LWSK
Dep 12 = MOKU4C, Dep 30 = MOKU3D
SARA2B --> replace SKJ with D282J164/10.5 (XXX/8000A, left traffic downwind over mountains)
ILS 34 FF34

2) LWSK LGKR
Dep 16 = PEP2D, Dep 34= PEP2E
PITA2C (BETAK/BEDEX)
RNAV 35 (BETAK/BEDEX)

3) LGKR LGSK
Dep 17 = PARN1B, Dep 35 = PARN1F
AGH
NDBDME02 SKP or NDBDME20 SKP

4) LGSK LGSM
Dep 02 = KORO1B, Dep 20 = KORO1A
ORMO1C
VISUAL 09 : 
FD358 Gear down, flap schedule
SAM179/4.0 Flaps Full, 160/1850
SAM219/2.3 Abeam pier, 140/1100
SAM240/2.2 Commence turn, XXX/900
SAM262/2.1 Mid turn
SAM277/1.3 White shed, XXX/400

If you would like to see all the squiggly lines in one, on your map, the plan can be downloaded here. (probably not suitable for use)
Tomorrow will be fuel / balance day - oh joy! 😎

Great flight Jeff - Thanks! Was looking forward to this one and it did not disappoint! 👍
Not the best shots ever, quite a bit busy hand flying 😉 & pushing buttons during the "turn arounds". 👆
If wanted you may view them here.

May even revisit this one during freetime this next week - give Samos another shot even though it was "somewhat" successful. ( know can do better )

• Like 1

This really was a great flight - thanks Jeff. The addon scenery was quite a nice addition - thanks Mike, Roman, Ted. Great pictures, thanks Roman.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Wonderful screenshots. Despite your heavy workload, you got some inspiring award-winners.

• Like 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I really enjoyed that flight Jeff. I never got the time to practice in advance so I assumed it was going to be a crash party for me. I was quite pleased to make it home safely and a lot of that credit goes to Mike for the inflight instructional videos.

Nice shots Roman, especially the "Bat out of Haddes" Mad Dog departures.

Ted

• Like 1