Sign in to follow this  
mikeklimek

MSFS Memory Leak?

Lately as I've taken more flights, I've noticed my average frames tend to drop as the flight goes on.  For example, I'll start the flight at roughly 60 fps (1080ti with high settings), fly around the area for 30 minutes or so, and by the time I land and park, my fps will be around 30-32.  

None of my other sims or games exhibit this behavior.  Is this indicative of some type of memory leak within MSFS?  Have others reported similar issues?  

• Upvote 1

yeh something going on. I see it in the throttles where they move smoothly on the first flight but the second they are lagging a bit 🤔

4 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

Lately as I've taken more flights, I've noticed my average frames tend to drop as the flight goes on.  For example, I'll start the flight at roughly 60 fps (1080ti with high settings), fly around the area for 30 minutes or so, and by the time I land and park, my fps will be around 30-32.  

None of my other sims or games exhibit this behavior.  Is this indicative of some type of memory leak within MSFS?  Have others reported similar issues?  

I have taken two flights of nearly 2 1/2 hour duration and have not noted any degradation.  My flying is GA and these longer flights have been in the DA62.  I will add that I have had two CTD's so far.  Each time was when I had spent considerable time and multiple trips in and out of the flight planning functions of the G1000 trying to find a method of substitution for the lack of a Direct To function for an upstream flight plan waypoint.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

That's funny, I thought mine got quicker:-

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

44 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

Memory leak means the memory usage of MSFS keeps going up and MSFS is not able to relinquish that memory.  Check your task manager.  If the memory of MSFS keeps going up and that memory is not released, even when you exit the flight and go back to the main menu, then it may be a memory leak.

FPS changing may be related to a lot of factors, including the scenery you are in, whether you have cache enabled, the speed of your internet connection, the speed of your hard drive if the swap file is accessed, etc.  Now if you take off in the same airport runway and you land in the same airport runway, and you don't really change any settings during your entire flight (ie. you don't change the weather or time, or the amount of traffic, etc), then in theory, your takeoff and landing FPS should be relatively close.

Taking off from one airport and landing at a different airport is not a fair comparison.  For example, one airport may have auto generated scenery because there is no photogrammetry for it, while another airport may have heavy photogrammetry.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

after the latest patch I have had more frame drops mid flight and stutters than before the patch.

I have tried to adjust the graphics settings but still getting the stutters and frame drops.

I think someone in the official forum mentioned something about the ATC window getting filled with messages over time, resulting in more stutters.

Maybe worth checking out?

Hi guys, 

So the first image is after a few flights, i arrive at EGNT.

The second image is the same airport, same time but the first flight. 🤔

MzhnftN.png

3ajdeej.png

8 hours ago, mikeklimek said:

There's something going on.  It seems to be with certain aircraft like the Longitude.  

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

10 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

That's funny, I thought mine got quicker:-

How are you replying to ATC without the  ATC window being open?

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

9 hours ago, UKflyer said:

Hi guys, 

So the first image is after a few flights, i arrive at EGNT.

The second image is the same airport, same time but the first flight. 🤔

MzhnftN.png

3ajdeej.png

There is an issue with the FPS for airliners and their glass cockpits,  it’s a well known issue and Asobo is working on it.  In your second photo, some of your gauges are off so who knows if that has an impact on your FPS.

A better test would be using a plane the Cessna 152 and 172.

Airliners and their glass cockpits will give a large variation in FPS, probably until Asobo fixes the issue with them.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I haven't seen an issue running FS20 but I will say, as posted previously here and at FS dot com, the game absolutely needs to run from a clean (cold) boot and if you come off you should do a hard (i.e full shut down and restart) before running anything else in the slightest bit CPU or GPU heavy.

31 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

There is an issue with the FPS for airliners and their glass cockpits,  it’s a well known issue and Asobo is working on it.  In your second photo, some of your gauges are off so who knows if that has an impact on your FPS.

A better test would be using a plane the Cessna 152 and 172.

Airliners and their glass cockpits will give a large variation in FPS, probably until Asobo fixes the issue with them.

ok thanks, hope they fix it.

Here's a shot with all the gauges on 🙂

GUsraxI.png

I've not seen any escalating memory usage doing lots of longish GA flights. In fact memory use is incredibly modest, only using around half of both my 6GB VRAM and 16GB of system RAM. Even pushing settings to Ultra comes nowhere near saturating either, even if it hurts performance - 30fps v 50fps. I've not touched an airliner, so things may be different there. I've had one CTD, cause unknown.

Edited by Novation
  • Like 1