Sign in to follow this  
Guest OneTinSoldier

1m, 2m, 5m texture problems...

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Is seems when I set 5m textures within scenery settings, ALL of my stutters dissapear, when I select 2m they become noticable, and when I select 1m they are dreadful!I was just wondering, is this related to my GFX card? ATI Radeon X1600XT 256mb Gddr3.Also if I select max autogen in fs9 i get no hit, on sparse in this sim WITH THE TWEAKS done to set it like max in fs9. it wipes the FPS out! Why is this?IanAMD AM2 3800x2 X1600XT 256mb GDDR31GIG DDRII 667mhz1280x800 15" widescreen

Guest OneTinSoldier

Although it could have something to do with your video card(the X1600XT doesn't pump out as many Magepixels/second as the best cards), I doubt your card is the reason.Using higher resolution textures takes up more RAM. I have a video card that has 256 MB of RAM on it, I have 2 GB's of System RAM though, and have my AGP Aperture set to 256 MB in my BIOS, and I can use the 1m textures no problem.Yeah, the Autogen sucks the life blood out of the sim with current hardware, even when using the tweaks to lower it down, although using the tweaks to adjust the amount does make some difference. But just turning on Autogen at all causes the sim to parse an XML file(text file) that is almost 4.8 Megabytes in size(the 'default.xml' file). Parsing a text file of that size for a sim as demanding as this one puts quite a hit on performance, let alone the processing of where the stuff in it should be displayed at and processing of the polygons on screen.

Guest ianrivaldosmith

So If i stick another 1gig ram in, my stutters using 2m or 1m textures will be gone?

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hey, I can't give a definite answer! But I would think so. It's been stated by an MS Flight Sim development team member(tdragger), and observed and reported by some users on here, that FSX can utilize up to 2 GB's of RAM. Twice as much as FS9.So I would think the answer would be yes, but I could be wrong too. All I can say for sure it what's going on with my own system, and I can say it doesn't have any problem with the 1m textures.It is also possible that if you have a number of your settings and sliders turned up halfway, or all the way, and turned them all the way down, and then put your texture slider to 1m, that you would not get any stutters using them even with your 1 GB of RAM. As I said... possibly, I don't know for sure.But since FSX can take advantage of up to 2 GB of RAM, why not get another 1 GB if you can afford it? It should help to improve your FSX experience.Regards,JimSystem Specs:Intel P4 3.4C(C = Northwood Core with Hyperthreading) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU, 2 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, Samsung 214T MultiSync 21" Digital LCD Monitor, Sapphire Radeon X800XT PE AGP Videocard with Catalyst v6.9 Driver, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with Driver version 02.09.0016, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, Western Digital 250 GB w/8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Parallel ATA HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, Norton SystemWorks and Personal Firewall 2006

Guest ianrivaldosmith

so is anyone using 1m textures with 1gig of ram then??Ian

2 Gig RAM definitely did the trick for me :-) Added the extra GIG yesterday, and get a steady (locked) 20 fps for bush flying, and around 15 fps in denser areas, Scenery/Autogen at Dense. But I had to set the level og detail radius to Small, and use 50% textures except runways and taxiways.Also, the interface has normal response. With 1 Gig I got a delay every time I did something in the menus etc. I think some swap-file was in action then.Eagle