Sign in to follow this  
chass32

Concerned about VR perfomance.

I´m quite happy with the fps I´m getting with the sim right now. I get 40-50 in Orbx London city and Innsbruck with the longitude and CJ4 and around 60 on flight. The fps drop significantly when I land on busy airports like heathrow or Charles de Gaulle to 25-30 (I try to avoid these kind of airports for that very same reason).

I fly in 1440p, and all the options and sliders are on "High", but while the fps are quite nice on a 2D screen, it can be a disaster with the HP G2 that I preordered. We could easely have 20 fps less than a 2D screen, and that means 20-25 fps on handcrafted airports and 10-15 on busy ones and that in GA not even an airliner. I try to get more fps in advance of that but changing the options to medium does not make a difference to me in terms of fps. 

Jurgen Neumann said that everytbody should play the sim in VR, so that means it can´t be that bad, and I hope that the version for the new Xbox will bring DX12 onboard and with it, DLSS 2.1 (ready for VR by the way) but are we ready for a long journey thru the desert?

I must be looking for a bit of encouragement, something obvious that I overlooked, and the VR will be simply amazing and fps friendly. I´m not ready to buy a 3080 (3090 is out of my league) after getting the G2.

Am I being overly pessimistic? I can´t help thinking that I´d need 75-80 frames on 2D to be sure that I´ll have 45-50 in VR.

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I am pessimistic. At least a *very good* DX12-implementation is needed, with low-level calls, and I doubt that Asebo can produce such for the XBox launch. If ever, VR has not been a top priority, and the user base is still small.

• Like 1

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

I think there is a reason VR wasn't considered initially. They quickly realized that noone would be able to run it upon release and I guess it's easier to just say "we're working on it" rather than get major complaints about unplayable VR.

With the upcoming 3080ti (or perhaps 3090), the latest Intel and fast memory...yes, I think VR in FS2020 could happen - even with an highres device such as the Reverb. Question is how many will have the ability to get all that cash. But that is another topic....

Bottom line, a smooth running FS2020 with high settings in a headset like G2 - man....I would do almost anything

• Like 1

I fly in DCS with 90 FPS on my 1080Ti & 3600X at 70% render scaling. Even half resolution looks still nice in a HP Reverb. So dont worry about VR performance, just be ready to drop resolution somewhat.

Edited by Gomoto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gomoto said:

I fly in DCS with 90 FPS on my 1080Ti & 3600X at 70% render scaling. Even half resolution looks still nice in a HP Reverb. So dont worry about VR performance, just be ready to drop resolution somewhat.

I have no problem downgrading the resolution as long as the inmersion and smoothness are there.

Thanks!

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I can run the Cessna 152 at LOWI with medium settings at 100 fps so that scenario  should work fine in VR. I have a 9700k and RTX2070

• Like 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 9/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, flightsim1818 said:

I think there is a reason VR wasn't considered initially. They quickly realized that noone would be able to run it upon release and I guess it's easier to just say "we're working on it" rather than get major complaints about unplayable VR.

Nope it wasn't that at all, they simply didn't design the Sim for VR use and then later on realised just how good VR is and so resorted to "bolting on" support for it once us VR users made some noise.

Quite frankly it's bewildering why they didn't include it from the very start, when other flight and cockpit based Sims utilised it so very well and plus the growth of VR was clearly there for all to see - They dropped the ball big time, i just hope they don't rush it in and implement support properly.

Here's a quote for which I'm referring too;

Original Article (October 10th, 2019): Speaking to AVSIMhead of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jörg Neumann reveals that although VR support wasn’t initially on the drawing table, that they’re trying to make it a possibility.

“It honestly wasn’t our plan [to support VR], but we are listening, and we heard it, so we will try our darnedest to make it happen,” Neumann explains. “Whether or not we’re going to pull it off for launch, […] we can’t commit to that at this point in time, but we have the desire.”

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 minute ago, MarcG said:

Nope it wasn't that at all, they simply didn't design the Sim for VR use and then later on realised just how good VR is and so resorted to "bolting on" support for it once us VR users made some noise.

Quite frankly it's bewildering why they didn't include it from the very start, when other flight and cockpit based Sims utilised it so very well and plus the growth of VR was clearly there for all to see - They dropped the ball big time, i just hope they don't rush it in and implement support properly.

Yes, when did they start the development anyway? How could they have missed the importance of VR? Or haven't they seen all ambitious (and perhaps less ambitious) attemtpts we've been forcing ourselves to do in order to make flying as immersive as possible? VR is THE solution.

Would be interesting to analyze the general FS 2020 target. I mean, in here we assume everyone wants to be on airliner captain level (more or less). But how many out there are just kicking back in a Cessna flying under bridges and try to land in Central Park - just for fun. 

25 minutes ago, flightsim1818 said:

Yes, when did they start the development anyway? How could they have missed the importance of VR? Or haven't they seen all ambitious (and perhaps less ambitious) attemtpts we've been forcing ourselves to do in order to make flying as immersive as possible? VR is THE solution.

Would be interesting to analyze the general FS 2020 target. I mean, in here we assume everyone wants to be on airliner captain level (more or less). But how many out there are just kicking back in a Cessna flying under bridges and try to land in Central Park - just for fun. 

I think it was 2016 but don't quote me on that, the worrying thing was they got to 2019 by which time it was more than obvious that VR was more than a gimmick for them to then realise they needed to support it. 

Regardless that doesn't matter now, the fact they are adding it in its good but as above i just hope it's not a crappy bolt on that fails miserably and takes months of patches to "work".

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Well you can always gamble that the vr pilots will get it even if it don´t support VR. In the dedicated simracing, simflying communities a lot have VR. According to steam 23 % have even but nobody care about this small niche really anyway it´s more important that console joe likes FS 2020 to increase sales as they outnumber simflyer jim by a million so if that demographic is in the calculations VR support would seem to be a bad investment. 

One method they can use, which actually works incredibly well in VR (tested in DCS World via a community mod) - is they can only render a short distance outside of the player's FOV

My name is Steve and I prefer hand flying.

Co-Founder of Hype Performance Group, MFS 3rd Party Developers

Released Projects: HPG H135, HPG H145, HPG Hot Air Balloon

On 9/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, flightsim1818 said:

Actually, I think VR has been on the roadmap if not quite from the word go, at least for quite some time now.  The developers even outright said so in a recent interview wherein they claimed to have had a whole team dedicated to it for more than a year already.  However, it was conspicuously absent in their statement was just what constitutes a "team".  Or, in all fairness it could have been just a simple oversight, too, as I don't think anyone actually posed the question.

Reading in between many lines, and considering the cosy relationships between MS, Asobo, HP, Valve, and Steam, along with my belief that they're using the Reverb G2 as their in-house reference device leads me to conclude that the plan has been for some time to have virtual (no pun intended) concurrent releases of VR support and the G2 as best buddies.  I think if they really thought it was going to be a widespread problem that basically only 0.01% of their user base (if even that) would be sufficiently equipped to run adequately they would have already pulled the plug, probably many moons ago.  Before they 30-series was "released", my 2070 Super was listed as one of the top 3 or 4 devices to run the G2 adequately at full resolution, and frankly I'm counting on that assessment being correct.

However, unlike many, perhaps even most other dev teams, I actually have faith that these guys will pull it off.  Yes, it will probably necessitate at least a half-decent implementation of DLSS 2.0 or better to do, but I think they have known that for a long time now, and are almost certainly working specifically with that knowledge in mind towards meeting their implementation goals.

If it turns out I'm wrong in all that fancy horse manure I just typed, well, someone will be processing an RMA from me, probably with a gift bag attached with my regurgitated lunch packed inside if I get motion sick as a result. 

I don't think anybody is under the illusion that a system that just barely meets the "minimum specs" will be sufficient for VR, but I also don't think they're building it only for those with dual 3090s in SLI and the most expensive CPU money can buy, either.

As for what impact the XBox launch might have, I don't think it will be all that much.  Most parents (and let's keep it real, most people running this sim on an XBox will be children spending their parent's money fantasizing that they can actually fly a 747) are not going to spend more for an HMD than the XBox itself cost, just to improve their offspring's simming experience.

KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

On 10/23/2020 at 7:52 AM, KevyKevTPA said:

I don't think anybody is under the illusion that a system that just barely meets the "minimum specs" will be sufficient for VR, but I also don't think they're building it only for those with dual 3090s in SLI and the most expensive CPU money can buy, either.

it will run good, i have no doubt. I use VR since 2012 when the Oculus DK1 came out, in the last 8 years alot changed. See here in 2017 i flew P3D in VR very smooth with all the nice ORBX stuff installed: https://youtu.be/1YJ2VPPYcls and this was with a i7 4790k / GTX 1080 !

Edited by Nedo68

re. VR on the new Xbox; this is a statement from last year from the Uber-chief of the Xbox division Phil Spencer himself:

"I have some issues with VR," Spencer said. "It's isolating, and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We're responding to what our customers are asking for and... nobody's asking for VR."

and before that in 2016/2017:

"I think we might get there [eventually]," Spencer said to Stevivor. "But yeah, that's not where our focus is."

I think, unlike many other "games", flightsimulator has never been the role model for "kind of together" games, rather the opposite. "togetherness" hapens here and in many other forums only to share tips and tricks, bug fixes etc. online flying is only another niche, not really the typical VR place.

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

@turbomax You're making me thinking of these:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

😂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)