Sign in to follow this  
corinoco

This thread for VISTA users comments only please.

I have read that there are people who are running FSx on Vista beta based machines.Can those people (only!) please give us their comments (and include system specs please) Thanks Barry

Barry:See my system specs below. My performance is, in a word, horrendous. I think that if you have FSX running as well as possible under XP then leave well enough alone.The Video drivers are not optimized, Vista exacts a frame rate penalty since it is a 3D OS now and all tests have shown that almost across the board, games run more slowly under Vista as well as just about all, 3D marks.I'm waiting for ATI to come out with Vista RC2 drivers to see if there is a difference. Nvidia has RC2 drivers out, but I don't have a Nvidia card to compare performace.Trust me, stay with XP, for now, you've been warned.

Agreed. I set up Vista with FSX and a GeForce 7800 GTX card. I have 2 gigs of RAM and an Athlon FX-55 processor. Overall, MUCH slower than on XP 64. Gonna have to wait for those DX10 cards and try it again.

I've just rebuilt my system with dual-boot XP / Vista RC2. (Rebuild due to Symantec AV eating my registry)The next step over the weekend is to install FSX and try it out!I was in the beta, and both demos worked extremely well on my system, but all the intense discussion makes me a bit nervous.My rig is AMD64 3800, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 7800GTX-256, SB-XFi, which was great for the demos, but seems it will be a bit wanting for the real thing... a shame as it can do stuff like run Oblivion with everything set to max and still be silky smooth!My first intended test is in the Extra - FSX had better be able to to lomcevaks(torque rolls) properly! When done correctly, the smoke should come out perpendicular to the aircraft, from under the wing (if you've ever seen one in RL). Way back in the mists of ancient time, Flight Unlimited 1 was the first program to do lomcevaks correctly. It also had gliders with tow planes and flexing wings - in DOS, in 1996! I think X-plane can do lomcevaks, but so far I have yet to see any of the Flight Simulator xxxx series get them right. I have high hopes...I also notice lots of people discussing multi-core/thread/HT, but honestly don't see how that could really help FS - it doesn't seem to have 'bucketable' programing quanti like say, 3DS Max. The point is, the major processor functions - the physical sim and graphic renderer are tightly tied together. Threading tends only to work well when the seperate processes don't interact. This is just my $0.02, but I think the implementation of a physics processor along the lines of Havok (software) or Aegia (hardware - if that ever gets popular enough) would be a better performance solution than MC/MT/HT. Maybe with the advent of the 'GP-GPU' paradigm under DX10 we might see this kind acceleration kick in.Hmmm, the more I think about that, the more I wonder if that is actually what may happen in a hypothetical FSX.1 or FSXI.The other technology apart from HavokAegiaGPGPU I'd love to see in FSX.n is Speedtree. That's what makes Oblivion so pretty, and it's heavily used in architectural rendering (what I do for a living) and is capable of stupendous feats like 1,000,000 trees on screen at once, running at 24fps on 2004-era hardware.Anyway, that got a bit off topic (naughty) but my Vista vs XP tests will appear over the weekend.