Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

V5 and VRAM OOM's...?

Only thing keeping me from upgrading to V5 (DX12) is the fact that I have a 2080 Super with only 8GB of VRAM.

Plan on doing most flying with my PMDG heavies over ORBX TE Regions with add-on Airports with heavy AI traffic and Activesky live weather...

Will I get CTD's due to lack of VRAM in these settings when playing?

Thanks!

Chris Camp

Depends on your settings. Easy to avoid VRAM OOM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Yeah it's easy to avoid VRAM OOMs--just tank your settings to below what you were used to in V4. Welcome to the future?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

Yeah it's easy to avoid VRAM OOMs--just tank your settings to below what you were used to in V4. Welcome to the future?

Nothing has changed in the world of flight sim, "Why can`t i use this XXX sim with the sliders maxed out " it needs fixing.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, Chapstick said:

yep but what did you expect from Joe? Think yourself lucky you did not get a dig at the another sim thrown in for good measure.^^

To the OP, I have a 8GB card and running at 1920x1080 helps a lot, but if I get them and I do, it's normally on the sim loading in, then CTD.  But it can be and is down to say when i try to set off at dusk or dawn, so straight night or day is a much better bet. Your setting can tip it over, but suggesting you're (OP)expecting to run at max is a joke anyway but there you go that another well thought out reply from Ray.. 🙂 So just be carefully because if you reduce to much v5 is pointless. EA is really nice and that does make the sim feel like a new sim, but you get the good old cloud draw problem, no layers etc, but with EA the lighting is so much better it's worth the cost of the cloud problems. IMO trying to run TE could well eat your VRAM. OLC and addon airport FSL etc and I am good, just, TE would not buy it and would not risk it on 8GB VRAM. v5 reminds me of FSX and having to only have the two airports your using and be carfull or bang. But 8/10 flight are fine as I know my PC limits.

I suggest to you, you wait till 5.1 and hopefully v5 will be a better sim then, with EA sorted and hopefully some VRAM/DX12 optimization. If both happen then v5 will shine.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sorry to say that your 8gb card is now the new minimum for v5. Ive been in TE Florida for the last few days and averaging about 3.5 to 5.1 gb vram.

I do believe these numbers dont show quick fluctuations which can result in CTD wo notice. However Ive had flights in  v5 which were visually impossible in 4.5

and the desire to stay in 4.5 has been fading as the possibilities with EA are overwhelming. Yes, waiting for 5.1 is a logical step. Also waiting for 5.2 is logical. Will 5.1 meet everyones desires? The answer is already known. I have no regrets with v5 purchase. Each point release(previous in v4) has been like a mini xmas  but after awhile you want something new/better and the cycle repeats in v5.

Edited by rickgo

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

19 minutes ago, rickgo said:

Sorry to say that your 8gb card is now the new minimum for v5. Ive been in TE Florida for the last few days and averaging about 3.5 to 5.1 gb vram.

I do believe these numbers dont show quick fluctuations which can result in CTD wo notice. However Ive had flights in  v5 which were visually impossible in 4.5

and the desire to stay in 4.5 has been fading as the possibilities with EA are overwhelming. Yes, waiting for 5.1 is a logical step. Also waiting for 5.2 is logical. Will 5.1 meet everyones desires? The answer is already known. I have no regrets with v5 purchase. Each point release(previous in v4) has been like a mini xmas  but after awhile you want something new/better and the cycle repeats in v5.

My P3Dv5 can't even handle 2080Ti 11GB with TE Florida + LatinVFR Miami

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

It sounds like people with GPU's that have less than 8GB or VRAM should not even try v5, is that correct?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

8 minutes ago, BMW969 said:

My P3Dv5 can't even handle 2080Ti 11GB with TE Florida + LatinVFR Miami

:-) and then the MaddogX in 4K , bang :-)

I manage to have 4K with modest sliders and the Maddog X (even at KMIA) but also have a 11GB VRAM card (10GB used in sim)

So as David say 1080P for 8GB is proberly going to do the task 99% of the time

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe
  • Like 2

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

You will have to buy a not modest 3090 ))

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

I think v5 with EA is where the VRAM limitations are rearing their heads.  Without EA, v5 is still an improvement, making better use of parallel processing...the processor loading is more even and much less limited by that single-processor wall in the previous versions.  A 6+ core CPU shouldn't be nearly as dependent on an aggressive overclock as before.

Without EA, but with an 11GB 2080Ti and a 4K display, I have never had a VRAM crash here, and that's running a wide mix of high-end addons, both acft and scenery.

High-performance settings are going to require high-performance hardware.  Nothing new there.  DX12 is not forgiving if you try to overtask your hardware...P3Dv4, with DX11, will allow you to overstep and then dial it back without crashing...DX12 will just blow up in your face if you overdo it.  But the measures needed to keep from overdoing it are within your control, and nothing more complicated than being conservative with the sliders.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 questions on this topic - 

1. I've seen many threads on DXGI errors as well - are those actually VRAM OOM errors?

2. I thought the sim brings up a window alerting to change the settings in case VRAM is reaching the limit. Is this not the case?

3. What sliders impact VRAM the most?

Thanks!

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

1 minute ago, Shomron said:

3 questions on this topic - 

1. I've seen many threads on DXGI errors as well - are those actually VRAM OOM errors?

2. I thought the sim brings up a window alerting to change the settings in case VRAM is reaching the limit. Is this not the case?

3. What sliders impact VRAM the most?

1 As I understand it, basically Yes.
2. In my experience (before hf2, newest nVidia drivers, and sliders to the left), by the time I saw that warning message it was too late. Whatever I clicked the game crashed.
3. There are many experts here, but I believe it is the sum of all sliders. I left few in ultra,  most in high or med, and others like shadows and traffic on low (except when I fly the Caribbean where I set all traffic planes and boats to 70%), my bloom is 0.2.

Haven't had a single DXGI erros since I lowered my expectations.

• Like 1

i Actually got one DXGI ERROR at gate 19 in ORBX ESGG with the MaddogX tonight trying to get GSX to dock . I was properly very impatience 🙂

Restart PC and issue gone

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

2 hours ago, RamonB said:

1 As I understand it, basically Yes.
2. In my experience (before hf2, newest nVidia drivers, and sliders to the left), by the time I saw that warning message it was too late. Whatever I clicked the game crashed.
3. There are many experts here, but I believe it is the sum of all sliders. I left few in ultra,  most in high or med, and others like shadows and traffic on low (except when I fly the Caribbean where I set all traffic planes and boats to 70%), my bloom is 0.2.

Haven't had a single DXGI erros since I lowered my expectations.

The DXGI error is not always linked to out of VRAM.  If you are using an aircraft that has TFDi TruGlass there is a bug that causes a DXGI error that some (myself included) have gotten to stop by turning off VSYNC in the sim menu.  TruGlass is still in beta for V5 so hopefully this will be fixed in a future release.

Edited by exeodus

Alan