Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

I tripled my frame rates.

4 hours ago, wthomas33065 said:

No,

When MSFS is running, click the Windows key to bring up your taskbar.  Bring up Task Manager by right clicking on the clock/calendar.  In task manager, click on the details tab and right click on FlightSimulator.exe  Click set priority and change to high from normal.  It's a bit of a pain, but you only have to do it at the start of a session.

Again, I am not promoting the guide, YMMV.  Just gave a quick readers digest version of what was said.  

Also, for the GPU Scheduling option to appear, you need to have Windows 10 version 2004 AND your driver needs to support it.  From what I understand, very few AMD drivers support it, so you might not see it in your options.

Can this not be done with some kind of switch on the shortcut?  Any Windows expert that can chime in?

There's also the suggestion to set game mode to ON. 

No mention of HT. This one made a difference for me.

I set my graphics settings to High-End after I turned on HT and have not touched the settings since.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

10 hours ago, Doug47 said:

I turn OFF game mode in W10 and it seems to improve performance or noticeably stutters. 

Hmm I’m gonna try this...

35 minutes ago, canuk_22 said:

So after reading the Tom's hardware article I think we can conclude that we will be tinkering for a while.  Many of us spent money on nice rigs and they tell us even a 2080Ti cannot achieve 60fps, sure glad I got the 2070 Super!  LOL, Is this not what we did with FSX?

No, FSX was a pig even after two service packs, MFS runs far better out the box than FSX did. 60 FPS is perfectly achievable on current hardware if your settings are adjusted accordingly, expecting any new AAA release to run maxed out 60 FPS 4K on current hardware is unrealistic.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

10 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Set Priority to Flightsim.exe to high in Task Manager.

How are you doing this in Windows10  ?  no way to set priority in task manager are you using a program - thanks 

You have to open the "Details" tab.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, canuk_22 said:

Can this not be done with some kind of switch on the shortcut?  

I have Project Lasso so I haven't tried this, but I think you should be able to use the /HIGH flag via a batch file to automatically have flightsimulator.exe run at "high" priority each time it starts up:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/start

I made my fps 10x by setting all sliders to the left and running at 640x480

• Like 3

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Setting priority does not affect fps in my tests. With HT enabled the simulator will choose logical processors and shared cores don't affect fps. So the best thing to do is not worry about these things.

I'm seeing (on the runway) 67fps on 1920x1080, and 32fps on 4K, all Ultra or highest settings with AI traffic and vehicles at 25%, no lens flare. 9980Xe, 64GB, NVLINK 2080Tix2.

All the NVLINK does is improve bandwidth to the GPU. Newer cards and motherboards will handle more bandwidth on 30 series GPUs.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

3 hours ago, DJJose said:

No mention of HT. This one made a difference for me.

Not all CPU's support it.  My 7th gen i5 didn't support it.  I didn't want to get a new MB so I bought an i7 7700 which does do hyperthreading.  And yes, the difference is palatable.  I am rarely limited by main thread anymore.  Now my GPU is the bottleneck.

Also, reports are that HT doesn't make a lot of difference on processors that have more than 4 cores. Most if not all  8th and 9th gen i5's and i7's don't even support it.  But they have more than 4 cores, so it doesn't provide the benefit that it does to the 4 core CPU's.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I thought the days of all of this would be over. Ahhhh well...... 

This!

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

55 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I thought the days of all of this would be over. Ahhhh well...... 

As long as there are sliders to slide, it will never be over.  Of course if you buy the Xbox Series x, then you won't have all of the adjustments because the game will be tuned by the company for the specific platform.

It's not just flight sim, it's most of PC gaming.  If you are looking for Max FPS, there will always be guides and tweaks telling you how to get more.  At some point you just tell yourself it's good enough and stop fiddling.

• Like 1

Ok, I can't confirm this, but I've seen some evidence that MSFS will adjust some of your settings on the fly to keep resource utilization within limits imposed by your system.  One example is that my system never reports more than 10 or 11 gig RAM usage on my 16 gig system while others report somewhat higher on 32 gig systems.  Another example is that I've occasionally seen lower than normal settings for clouds and others.

This might be why some people are reporting only slight differences in fps, for example, from different settings.  

Thanks to @B787Pilot3222 for the comparison video on the first page of this thread.

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I tripled my Frame Rates as well...!!!!

I just set all the sliders to LOW and set the resolution to 1024x768!

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

I tripled my Frame Rates as well...!!!!

I just set all the sliders to LOW and set the resolution to 1024x768!

I just went back to FSXSE (lol).