Sign in to follow this  
Guest RGH

Vista Home Basic good enough for FSX?

Or do you need Premium at a minimum? considering pricing, and if you buy system now, all you get is a "home basic" upgrade, will HB support DX10 and run FSX current and after the DX10 release?scott s..

>>all you get is a "home basic" upgrade, will HB support DX10 and run FSX current and after the DX10 release?<

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Stick with XP Pro, all other things being equal (according to MS) XP will run 15% faster for "games".There is no reason to run Vista right now, nor will there be for some time.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Guest FxF3

Hope it will be if I have to move on up to Vista thats all I want.

AFAIK, Vista Home Basic will not include the DX10 API.Only Home Premuim and above will get it......

>AFAIK, Vista Home Basic will not include the DX10 API.>>Only Home Premuim and above will get it......that's really cheap. Are you sure? I know that the cheapest edition doesn't get the Aero effects, but no DX10? I have trouble believing that.

>AFAIK, Vista Home Basic will not include the DX10 API.>>Only Home Premuim and above will get it......I don't believe that's correct.DX10 will only ever be available for the entire Vista platform, not XP, 2000, 98 etc.I believe what you meant by alluding to the Home Premium release was the Aero interface which contains all the nice glass effects and makes Vista look rather pretty :)

Guest allcott

Vista = DX10XP = NO DX10Vista = expensive OS, plus need more costly RAM just to make the OS work = lower fps for FSX under DX9. Throw in the license uncertaintites and the complete absence of ANY need whatsoever for DX10 at this time and Vista is a waste of time, money and effort - a pure marketing exercise that seems to be suckering punters in.Keep XP, spend less money on hardware upgrades. Actually have a better running FSX, not worse.Simple.Allcott

Every Vista below Business doesn't even use dual cores.While the dual cores do not help much for current gaming, it would be just a waste.See here for more information:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_VistaI'd rather stick with XP and avoid this Vista bloat as long as possible.When you buy a new computer you have to pay the Windows tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Tax) anyway.Alex

Guest RGH

Hi scottDuel core cpu will work on all the vista programs.What will only work on the top bussiness one is double GPU'sblogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=130The given link dose not work.Google (will vista use dual core technolgy)and read Vista mythbustersall the bestRex