Sign in to follow this  
Nedo68

Which GPU to Buy For VR?

Just switched from a 1080 to a 3090, there is unfortunately not much difference...It maybe depends on the resolution, which I will see once the Reverb G2 arrives.

@Nedo68 What is the 3090ti in the signature, never heard of it... 😉

Edited by Chandler

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

I am no expert, far from it but I do know that while you need a decent GPU, much of the decent software is being bottlenecked at the processor. I have an i7700k OC to 4.8GHz and an RTX 2080 Ti with my HP Reverb and on P3D 4.5 my performance is rubbish, perhaps it's a bit better on P3D V5.0 but the only software that I use where VR truly flies is DCS. I have heard that IL2 is even better than that but I am less interested in that. 

Using DCS with an older 1070 and a CV1 was unplayable. I believe when we see different API's allowing more efficient use of multi-core/multi-threading or much faster GPU's then we will see true benefits of VR. But as I said DCS, rocks in VR!

Edited by aidanlegras

4 hours ago, aidanlegras said:

I am no expert, far from it but I do know that while you need a decent GPU, much of the decent software is being bottlenecked at the processor. I have an i7700k OC to 4.8GHz and an RTX 2080 Ti with my HP Reverb and on P3D 4.5 my performance is rubbish, perhaps it's a bit better on P3D V5.0 but the only software that I use where VR truly flies is DCS. I have heard that IL2 is even better than that but I am less interested in that. 

Using DCS with an older 1070 and a CV1 was unplayable. I believe when we see different API's allowing more efficient use of multi-core/multi-threading or much faster GPU's then we will see true benefits of VR. But as I said DCS, rocks in VR!

I also have a HP Reverb and there is a huge gain within P3D V5.1! You should really try it. Even all shadows turned on is now possible! 

They did a major improvement and the "stutters" are almost completely gone. I use "more heavy settings" and FSLabs, which is known being heavier on FPS!

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 10/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, Chandler said:

@Nedo68 What is the 3090ti in the signature, never heard of it... 😉

LOL! thank you for the hint, the "ti" is left fom my previous card 😉

anybody tried 3080 the 3090 miles too much money

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

I'm still having VRAM creep issues going into and out of VR in P3D 5.1.  Anybody know of any fixes or workarounds for that?

Edit: incorrect post.  Apologies.

Edited by cmorg

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

stereo better than single pass , seems to be vram improvement using steam over occulus for rift, finnaly remove trueglass was causing a lot of my digi hung errors which i had put down to vram.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

On 11/11/2020 at 4:58 PM, cannow said:

stereo better than single pass , seems to be vram improvement using steam over occulus for rift, finnaly remove trueglass was causing a lot of my digi hung errors which i had put down to vram.

Wow so looks like things really have improved on the VR side if this is the case, as using single pass was pretty much the best playable method performance wise before V5.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2