Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

September 10th, 2020 - Development Update

8 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Will there be elbow patches available for that in the future?

I believe a community mod is being worked on as we speak. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cepact said:

In real life the weather is not generated from METAR, but it's the opposite. If we want "as real as it gets" it's better to have a realistic weather injection from meteoblue and not from METARs. The METARs, just like in real life, should be calculated in the simulator according to real time weather. if it matches 90% it would be good enough

That's just it, you think hours old forecasted weather is "as real as it gets"? Sorry, but forecasted weather is just a weather models best guess at what the weather will be, not what the actual conditions turns out to be. For instance, last couple days, rain was forecasted to be 70%. Got 0%. Today, forecasted at 40%, had rain for about 20 minutes. A METAR will give conditions that at most will be 1 hour old for the airport which is very relevant to this sim.

Eric 

3 hours ago, Slides said:

This is not true

Saying this with no context or facts to back up your statement is useless. If saying this you mean the weather looks realistic to your subjective opinion is also not relevant to the facts of how it works.

Eric 

1 hour ago, NovemberUniform said:

If it's still not at a level I wish it would be, I will vote in their forums again, as I've done before. Nowhere have I read that it's their plan to deliver 12 h old live weather...

Nor will you read it in their forums. You think Metoblue is injecting what the real world weather is right at the moment? If so you have zero clue how this stuff works. Metoblue derives their weather data from global models, models that run about every 12hrs. Once the model data is updated into Metoblue servers, it then spits out the weather. What you are seeing is the forecasted weather from a model run anywhere from 1 to 12 hours old.

Eric 

For me its not too important to have weather that is 100 percent accurate at this very moment. Whats more important for me is that it FEELS real and you have the impression of an organic athmosphere. Which its is actually for me. I flew from good into bad weather situations, even saw frontal systems and what not...The weather in MSFS is not perfect but it has a very natural feeling and thats what counts for me.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

It's not like there isn't a fair argument here, made more difficult by the fact that what exists in the sim is not working properly yet.  But METAR based sim weather systems have large gaps in coverage, do not form a cohesive whole, and rely on various smoothing techniques to create anything resembling reality when you are travelling from point to point..  Now yes, we're all used to that from 20 years of simming, so it seems normal, but I'm more than happy to explore the possibilities of a new approach.  Having the weather be exactly what it is outside right now might seem to be a laudable goal, but how useful is it really?  most forecasts are reasonably accurate, and if it can be molded into a simulation of the whole body of moving air, why wouldn't that be preferable?

2 hours ago, cepact said:

In real life the weather is not generated from METAR, but it's the opposite. If we want "as real as it gets" it's better to have a realistic weather injection from meteoblue and not from METARs. The METARs, just like in real life, should be calculated in the simulator according to real time weather. if it matches 90% it would be good enough

Well said.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

11 minutes ago, B777ER said:

If so you have zero clue how this stuff works.

Maybe, I'm not a meteorologist. Are you a meteorologist? 

I know that the forecast for any local area is updated very frequently on the meteoblue website, otherwise I wouldn't use it for personal use.

Moreover, it's a huge difference if you are working with data that's been forecasted 12 h in advance for a certain local time (being 12 h not updated at time of usage) or using data for a wrong local time. You said the second is currently going on (not sure this is accurate). At least that should definitely be possible to fix. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

21 minutes ago, NovemberUniform said:

Maybe, I'm not a meteorologist. Are you a meteorologist? 

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows (With apologies to Bob Dylan). Seriously though, forecasts are just that. They are only going to reflect what's happening in a generic sense. They aren't like either NEXRAD radar or even METARs. I know that most MSFS users don't care about this issue, but a few of us do. At least Asobo should update the SDK to let people who know about aviation weather have a crack at fixing things. HiFi is just sitting on their collective thumbs waiting to release a version of Active Sky for MSFS. I'll be the first in line to test it, just like I was with the Navigraph for MSFS beta.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Yep. Looks like they've been far busier than we thought. They're pretty much touching on all aspects of the simulator with a single update. If they keep this up for at least a year, we will be looking at a much more healthy and complete simulator then.

In one of the last videos I watched, Jörg Neumann said something like them having around 200 people working on the sim + external contractors (like blackshark and meteoblue).

This potential together with the significantly improved care for the community is what makes me focus on MSFS as future platform. Even if it's lacking on some parts, it's the potential that fascinates me every time I start it up again.

• Like 4

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

20 hours ago, gunther said:

They're called moon and stars.

🤣 sorry, couldn't help myself

Funny but at Innsbruke at night there are doubles of some of the ground lights a couple hundred feet in the air,,,maybe more places as well?

• Like 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

4 hours ago, martinboehme said:

I believe a community mod is being worked on as we speak. 😉

Can we get a community mod to mod the community?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FAZZ3 said:

There working on a new SDK feature called node based particle effects, which allows for development of anything that uses particles, like contrails, engine condensation, smoke etc. 

Edit: forgot to mention, it’s not included in this patch, but was mentioned to be released in a future update. 

I hope in not long. Hoping for the third update?

Banner-FS2-Crew-Beta-Tester.jpg

t-l-chargement

So are they just never going to fix the massive trees? I mean look at those screenshots in the thread above. Especially in Chicago, trees are massive and overlap the roads and some are half as tall as sky scrapers!

• Upvote 2

Chris Virgilio