Sign in to follow this  
pacosancas

Over sensitive pitch for jets

Hi,I have a problem maybe someone could help me.When I'm flying GA aricraft like the Cessna, Piper Cub or Baron, I can fly them smoothly, pitch response is good to elevator input. No problems here.I am running into trouble with the jets however, even the slightest change in elevator makes them bounce up and down like crazy and I endup overcontrolling. However Aileron to roll response is good.Anyone has the same problem and perhaps a solution?Many thanks,Cristi

Guest jcomm

As a matter of fact, at least in my case the problem got almost solved by:1) Setting Sensitivities in ALL axes (rudder can be set at 3/4 though...) to FULL (full right);2) Setting Null Zones in ALL axes to "0" (full left).This may sound counter-intutitive but internaly FSX is most probably doing it's own damping to allow for an easier ride for people with Gamepads, etc...You now have to be gentle (as you're supposed to in a real aircraft, and that's the problem because of the illusive travels we are used to in flightsims) but the reponse is proportional and hence the final effect is OK!Give it a try and report back please...

Ok, I will git it a shot tonight, and will let you know.Thanks for the answers!Cristi

Guest allcott

Always best to calibrate the virtual controller in the VC - Difficult with the Airbus, but easy with the yoke-controlled jets.Look out for the `trap` - mistaking UNDER sensitivity for oversensitivity - I was shown a long time ago that the "move controller-wait for response-see no response-move the controller some more" can lead you to think the controls are over-sensitive when they are the exact opposite.The range of movement of the desktop device is less than the real device it mimics, so you actually are better off with greater sensitivity and lowest acceptable null zone, as noted above.Allcott

Ok thanks, that's very usefull information.I'll try it and call you back to report.

No, no ... besides setting the sliders to minimum, with a little null zone ... go to the aircraft.cfg file, open it and look for a part that looks like[flight_tuning]cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_effectiveness = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0yaw_stability = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0change elevator, aileron, and rudder from 1.0 to 0.6 or 0.7save and rerun.This has been mentioned on this board elsewhere. And you have to do it on each aircraft desired.I use CH Yoke and Pedals, and I still have to do this.

Ok, maxed out sensitivities, minimum null zone and I already see an improvement.However now it's a little hard to fly level.So I will try tweaking the _effectiveness also.I have the CH Yoke also (no pedals).Thanks everyone for your help. It is much appreciated.Cristi

With FSUIPC you could also use the "Slope" function to make the travel more progressive. I'm using a joystick, and this works fine with all the aircrafts.I don't know if it's realistic, but it sure feels better when an Airbus doesn't fly like a kite :-).Eagle

By default, in FSX (same as was in FS9), when sensitivity sliders are pulled left, the controls are dampened instead of making them proportionally less sensitive. This can be changed by adding the following line to the {controls} (square brackets) section in FSX.cfg: stick_sensitivity_mode=0 Then, adjust null zones and sensitivities to taste in the FSX menu (I have null zones set to almost zero and sensitivities to middle with my CH yoke). Otherwise, if sliders are lowered, the effect is felt as more sensitive (actually because control surfaces react with a delay to your inputs, which is for some reason specially noticeable with a yoke and not so much with a joystick).

Guest SimDog

I don't doubt what you wrote, but the Sensitivity slider "delays" input? How can that be? The two words do not even have the same meaning.If the sensitivity slider delays a control input, should it not be called the Delay slider? To me, the problem lies with the flight dynamic's settings of each aircraft. Surely a C172 and B747 have different flight characterists. If so, yoke inputs would be different for each aircraft. If that is also true, you could not expect the Sensitivity/Delay slider settings to be the same for all aircraft.I have found, using a PFC yoke, that the big jets have a smoother, more realistic response to roll, pitch, and yaw inputs. No, I do not fly real aircraft, so I am speculating. GA aircraft make very agressive movements with very little control input. I normally fly the KA350. Even with the sensitivity/delay slider set to 20%, the slightest pitch input causes large pitch changes. Makes ILS approaches very difficult. I sometimes find myself using the elevator trim wheel more that the yoke for small pitch changes.So to me, the problem or should I say correction, lies with in the aircraft.cfg.Thanks for the replies to the original post. The more I read, the more it helps me understand how the sim functions. Regards,SD