Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Remove toolbar handle - works well!

I find the pop-up tool bar handle at the top of the screen a little annoying.  Maybe it's good for beginners to show them there is something there at the top (the menu icons), but most of us know how to find them now.

I was hoping MS/Asobo might put a toggle for it in the settings menu in a future patch, but some kind soul has developed a little mod to remove it.

It works just as advertised.  The menu icons are still there of course when you move the mouse to the top of the screen.

It's a really small file, about 8kb.  Just drop it into the Community folder as usual.  Works a treat. 👍

Now if we just had a mod to quickly toggle the outside view instruments on and off without having to go into settings, I would be even happier! 

Edited by bobcat999
Tag
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

What's the problem with the tool bar "handle"? Another solution in search of a problem......

What's YOUR problem with someone developing a solution that fixes a problem for other people?

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

What's the problem with the tool bar "handle"? Another solution in search of a problem......

What's the problem with me wanting the option to remove it if I want? 

Personally I find it annoying and distracting when it pops up every time I move the mouse.  If you don't, fine! 👍 it It is a mod; you don't have to install it if you don't want to.

• Like 12

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

14 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

It's ugly and annoying and because I don't like it... that's the problem. Stop worrying about other people.

• Like 2

The problem was that there was no problem at least we thought there was no problem. Now we are conscious of the problem, we get very annoyed when we see the problem. So thank you for solving the problem which was no problem but will anyway download the mod because I want the problem solved now. Thank you for solving this problem!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

The problem was that there was no problem at least we thought there was no problem. Now we are conscious of the problem, we get very annoyed when we see the problem. So thank you for solving the problem which was no problem but will anyway download the mod because I want the problem solved now. Thank you for solving this problem!

😄 You need to take more water with it!

PS.  I never solved the problem.  Someone else solved a little annoyance that I had.  I think quite a few will download it actually. 

While it may not be a problem for some, having the white tool bar handle pop up in your vision every time you move the mouse is totally unnecessary once you know where the menu icons are.

To save further debate:  This is a mod that will please some people, not others.  If you don't like it you don't have to have it - move on!... 😛

• Like 3

The problem for me is that when I'm trying to take a nice screenshot, that bar shows up and I have to wait a few seconds for it to disappear again before I can take that shot. When I'm trying to get that perfect shot, it matters.

• Like 4

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Proplem for anyone? 

Make a SEP

Thx for the hint to this mod! 

• Like 4

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Bobcat999.......

• Like 1

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

9 minutes ago, ctdlg said:

Thank you bobcat999

Useful mod.
I also use an auto mouse hiding program that is very easy to use for your snapshots/videos !

Hey, that's useful.  Thanks!  👍   Saves having to move the moue cursor off to the right hand side of the screen all of the time.

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Especially at night,that white sign is very enjoying. And whenever you move the mouse, il will pop-up. Doesn't bother you, that's fine but sarcastic remarks are perhaps a problem for others. 

• Like 3

@bobcat999 pointed out in another thread that this mod hasn't been updated for 1.8.3.0.  I figured I could update it quickly, and in the process of doing so I saw the way it had been done, which combined with other thoughts I've had recently and discussions about best modding practice I've had with the rest of the folks at Working Title

As a result, I didn't just update the mod.  I quickly restructured it to have a smaller impact on the stock files, and wrote a bit of a mini-dissertation on modding practice that I hope can be helpful to current and future modders.   It addresses a few of the problems that I'm already seeing, and can easily predict we will see many more of, given the liberal and anarchic modding that is going on right now.  Don't get me wrong, I'm nothing if not a liberal who loves a bit of chaos, but sometimes you need just a little bit of restraint.  I hope folks will take the time to read and think about it -- and share it with others who might be interested.

Anyway, here's the repo.  The README is my dissertation.

https://github.com/kaosfere/msfs-toolbar-nohandle

And the initial release:

https://github.com/kaosfere/msfs-toolbar-nohandle/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Let me know if you have any problems.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2