I would like to know if using an nvme for fs2020 would shorten the load time for the sim.   I'm already using an SSD which is reasonably good, but the wait times between setup and flight are a couple of minutes apart.  If the NVMe would shorten this, I'm keen on moving to that. 

Thanks

Won't make a difference for gaming at the moment. There'd be maybe a second or two difference. They are definitely handier to install and they look nicer in the case but for games they don't deliver any real benefits at this point in time. 

I have MFS installed on a Samsung 960 Pro 2TB NVMe and will probably be moving it to a 2TB SATA SSD in the near future to free up some space. For your benefit and mine, these are my current load times on the NVMe:

Clean start (after using my system normally with other programs for a day or so):

Launch time (to "press any key" screen): ~1:34
"Press any key" to Main menu time: ~1:53
Courchevel challenge loading time: ~0:50

Restart (close and reopen, meaning parts of MFS are still loaded in RAM):

Launch time: ~1:13
Main menu time: ~1:26
Courchevel challenge loading time: ~0:48

The drive is reaching 85% capacity, so these numbers may be a bit worse than a half-empty drive, but hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea when using an NVMe drive that is still pretty fast in comparison to the newest drives (Samsung Magician benchmark still gives me ~2GB/s sequential read times)

System specs are an i7-5960X @ 4GHz, 32GB memory, GTX 980, running 1080p @ ultra settings and dealing with the 25-30fps until I can get my hands on a 3080 🙂

You check your current load time of the Courchevel challenge to see how your current SSD compares, I'd be interested as well!

Edited by Funky D

My load time from "press any key" to the main menu are about 1 min 20 sec with my Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

My times with an Adata SX8200 Nvme are:

Launch time: ~0:51 | ~0:44
Main menu time: ~1:29 | ~1:06
Courchevel challenge loading time: ~0:50 | ~0:50

I took 2 measurements, closed the sim in between and starting it again after 10 minutes or so.

A Nvme is faster than a SATA SSD, but not nearly as much as the difference when going from HDD to SSD. However, Nvme are not much more expensive than SSD's so there's hardly any reason to choose an SSD anymore unless you don't have a M2 connector available, and there are ways around that.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5