Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Best Trim Wheel

I’d love to get or make a trim wheel that works with FS2020 as I find trimming quite difficult otherwise. Does anyone know any products or 3d printer projects that work with fs2020?

2 minutes ago, teenflon5 said:

I’d love to get or make a trim wheel that works with FS2020 as I find trimming quite difficult otherwise. Does anyone know any products or 3d printer projects that work with fs2020?

I have considered this one, which states is compatible.

https://flightvelocity.com/products/flight-velocity-trim-wheel

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I know for sure one trim wheel that does not work properly and that is the Saitek Cessna wheel. Horrible. It goes to sleep and when you move, it tries to wake up and its all over the place. I tried many things to prvent it from going to sleep...but no success. Saitek ought to have fixed this but they never did

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes trimming with an on-off button is extremely difficult, my Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas was pre-programmed with the trim function on the joystick's point of view button, it did not work well, I moved the trim funktion to the increase-decrease axis option on the throttle instead, and now can I fine-tune very easily, the difference with having the trim function on an axis are like night and day.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

19 minutes ago, Manny said:

I know for sure one trim wheel that does not work properly and that is the Saitek Cessna wheel. Horrible. It goes to sleep and when you move, it tries to wake up and its all over the place. I tried many things to prvent it from going to sleep...but no success. Saitek ought to have fixed this but they never did

Manny

Saitek Cessna Wheel works flawlessly for me. I only have to wake it up once, at the beginning of the flight. Works great for me, especially in the GA planes. 

• Like 2

Eddie
KABQ

1 minute ago, haskell said:

Saitek Cessna Wheel works flawlessly for me. I only have to wake it up once, at the beginning of the flight. Works great for me, especially in the GA planes. 

Hmmm... Interesting. 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

28 minutes ago, Manny said:

Manny

Saitek products and Windows Advanced Power Management do not work well together.  Well documented here.  Two steps to take.  First, Control Panel, Device Manager, Human Interface devices.  Look at the USB devices.  Unplug and then plug back the trim wheel to identify it.  Then look at it's Properties, Power Management, and uncheck that option.  Then do a web search for Saitek Windows Power Management Registry.  You should find one or two small apps that patch the power management registry entries for Saitek products.  Run it.  Then see if your experience improves.  The process cured issues I and others had.

Read through this earlier topic for more information:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/527198-saitek-yoke-freezing-during-flight/?tab=comments#comment-3774635

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've used a Saitek setup for years.  First with P3D and now MSFS 2020.  

I use a program called SPAD to drive Saitek equipment (2 x FIP, 1 x radio panel, 1 x switch panel, 1 x multi panel, 2 x throttle quadrants, 1 x Cessna trim wheel, 1 x rudder pedals and 1 x yoke ... all Saitek) .  I think SPAD cost about $20.00 (years ago).  I'm not an expert by any means in SPAD functionality, but, I was able to figure out how to make it work with P3D and create profiles (single engine, twin, 3 engine and 4 engine).

So, I've learned a few things with MSFS 2020, SPAD and Saitek equipment.  

SPAD published a software update to it works with MSFS 2020.  So, that's great.  It was easy for me to use with MSFS 2020.

I've created a MSFS 2020 SPAD profile that's working well with all single and twin engine planes.

After experimenting with SPAD, Saitek and MSFS 2020;

I've shut off SPAD functionality to 2 x FIP, 2 x throttle quadrants, 1 x trim wheel and 1 x yoke.  SPAD makes it easy to turn OFF functionality to specific items.

The FIPs do not work well with MSFS.  They bog down sim performance.  The first MSFS 2020 patch did not fix this issue for the FIPs (I think it's to do with Simconnect and refresh rates ... but I don't really know).  While I liked using the FIPs in P3D (especially the HSI with course and heading adjustments) I'm finding I don't miss it too much with MSFS 2020.  I'm using MSFS cockpit panels for all navigation.

I'm using MSFS 2020 to drive the 2 x throttle quadrants, rudder pedals, brakes, yoke and trim wheel.  This works fine.  I'm hoping the MSFS 2020 development team will provide an update for control surface sensitivity, calibration and operation.  The MSFS 2020 internal set up does not feel right.  I've got (for axes) a limited dead band set with low sensitivities.  This works OK for fine adjustments (less than 1/2 of axis rotation).   Once I exceed this parameter the axis goes full tilt.  For example, with ailerons and elevator everything is good with about 1/2 yoke travel deflection.  After that the control surfaces transition too quickly to full deflection.  Again, it's not right.  I'm getting used to it and flying accordingly.  I've ordered a new Honeycomb yoke with the hopes of much better control axis fidelity.  

The Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel shows up in my control choices in MSFS 2020.  It was easy to program the trim axis using MSFS functionality.

The radio / nav stack panel, switch panel and multi-panel are all great additions to any sim (all driven by SPAD).  They make everyday sim flying and / or PilotEdge network flying easier, more enjoyable and more true to life.  

For me the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel works great.  Again, having a trim wheel makes sim flying much more realistic.  When flying MSFS 2020 GA aircraft I'm paying close attention and actively using the trim wheel.  This is especially important because of my comment above (more than 1/2 yoke axis deflection).  If I'm really good about keeping the plane in trim I've got decent control fidelity and all is well.  If I'm out of trim control surfaces react too fast and things are much harder to control.  So in a backwards way this has helped me to be a better sim pilot with a more concentrated focus on keeping things in trim.

One other important item I learned about the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel.  I must have read this on a forum somewhere.  This is imperative.  If I don't do this I need to reboot the sim and / or computer.  This has been a constant for me for 3+ years ... both P3D and MSFS 2020.  

When I turn my computer on I give a a minute or so to do it's thing.  Shortly there after, before doing anything else, I rotate the Saitek Cessna trim wheel forwards and backwards a few times.  I'll eventually get a beep in the computer (like it's recognizing an item).  I also notice the green light on the Saitek trim wheel blinks (like it's being recognized).  If I do this ... all is right with the world.  I boot up MSFS and the trim wheel works perfectly.  If I forget to accomplish this item ... its a shut down the sim and reboot the computer moment.  Weird.  I know.  But, it has worked for me.

Sorry for long winded reply.  I only did so because I like your question above.  For me, having a functional radio stack, switch panel, multi panel and trim wheel make sim flying much more true to life and enhances the entire experience.  It makes flying on PilotEdge much more realistic.  With a yoke mounted push button (part of the Saitek yoke), functional radio / navigation stack and trim wheel it's just like sitting left seat in a Skyhawk (or pick your favorite).  The biggest difference is a lower fuel bill and the delicious hamburger off my patio grill doesn't cost $100.00!

Since I ordered the Honeycomb yoke (waiting for delivery) I noticed on their product page they're coming out with a new (and very cool looking) throttle quadrant.  It has a trim wheel as part of the package.  Depending on how my Honeycomb yoke experience goes, and the forthcoming throttle quadrant reviews read, I'll be seriously looking at that item for my next update.  

Hope this helps with your question above.  Good flying!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, haskell said:

Exactly the same here.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

A dedicated analog trim wheel is becoming increasingly problematic, depending on the sim and the particular plane. First, the trim sensitivity is not precise enough: one small turn sometimes makes the pitch go up or down too fast. Second, some aircrafts simply fly more precisely with keyboard trimming.

I know this, because I build quadrants, and a dedicated trim axis is always a 50-50 shot.

It's good to have one, but don't expect it work on all sims and all planes equally well.

I find that the best approach is to have a trim switch as well.

tc

10 minutes ago, flyforever said:

I find that the best approach is to have a trim switch as well.

Do you mean like assigning buttons to the trim up and down commands?  I was considering picking up a trim wheel but now I am a bit concerned if you are saying the analog ones don't work really well.

20 hours ago, teenflon5 said:

I'm presently doing a review of the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant and for a little more than what you can get trim wheels for you can get a whole lot more with the Bravo TC.  It works great!  Review should be out next week.

https://flyhoneycomb.com/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant

• Like 3

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

18 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm presently doing a review of the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant and for a little more than what you can get trim wheels for you can get a whole lot more with the Bravo TC.  It works great!  Review should be out next week.

https://flyhoneycomb.com/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant

Dave.  Where will your review be posted?  Thanks,

54 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

Do you mean like assigning buttons to the trim up and down commands?  I was considering picking up a trim wheel but now I am a bit concerned if you are saying the analog ones don't work really well.

As you can see from various responders,  some folks are happy with their trim wheels choices, and I still use mine. It's sim and airplane specific, so if you really want one get one. It's the only way to find out.  On the other hand, if you have the money to purchase a quadrant that has a trim wheel, you might be getting a more complete set up for the long run.

tc

• Like 1