Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Best Trim Wheel

In the old X-plane, there was a piece of program which shows the relative positions of the sim throttle and the physical throttle, and therefore one can physically move the throttle to match those positions before disengaging the AP.

Is it possible to implement something similar for the trim wheel?

Just curious.

KK

Edited by KKLEE

12700K@5.1Ghz, ASUS TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4, Noctua NH-U12S, G.SKILL 32GB Kit F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600MHz, SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD 1TB, Gigabyte RTX 1080 Ti, Cooler Master V750 Gold 750W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell 24" 2408WFP 1920x1200 30 frames vSync to 60Hz, Fulcrum One Yoke,  MFG Crosswind V2 rudder pedal, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Multi Panel, DIY Cessna 172 Radio stack (via Arduino/MobiFlight), Air manager V4 on 10" 1920x1080 monitor

Maybe this one. Need to wait another week or two for it though. I'm designing it. Trying to get it finished in time for the Flying Iron Spitfire MkIX due any day now for MSFS. It may be made for a spitfire but works with any aircraft. https://authentikit.org for more info. 

trimsoon.jpg

Edited by Spit40

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

On 9/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Manny said:

I know for sure one trim wheel that does not work properly and that is the Saitek Cessna wheel. Horrible. It goes to sleep and when you move, it tries to wake up and its all over the place. I tried many things to prvent it from going to sleep...but no success. Saitek ought to have fixed this but they never did

Manny

Zero problems with the Logitech G (ex-Saitek) Trim Wheel.

Works fine since years in all flightsims!

Have to "wake" it up only once when starting the sim.

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

3 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Zero problems with the Logitech G (ex-Saitek) Trim Wheel.

Works fine since years in all flightsims!

Have to "wake" it up only once when starting the sim.

Problems with USB peripherals going to sleep are usually a Win10 issue, not the peripheral itself.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Problems with USB peripherals going to sleep are usually a Win10 issue, not the peripheral itself.

Not in this case :)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

15 hours ago, KKLEE said:

In the old X-plane, there was a piece of program which shows the relative positions of the sim throttle and the physical throttle, and therefore one can physically move the throttle to match those positions before disengaging the AP.

Is it possible to implement something similar for the trim wheel?

Just curious.

KK

Well, there is a trim position indicator in the external view HUD and of course many cockpit indicate trim position.  Not sure if that helps though.

amazon has this trim wheel in stock, it has some other stuff on it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Pro-Flight-Multi-Panel/dp/B01LWRNBI0/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I’m beta testing the new Spitfire MkIX with this trim wheel.

• Like 1

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

This one is a little pricier, and is designed for home cockpits, but if you’re looking for a faithful representation of a Cessna style trim wheel: 

Simmax C172 trim wheel

(if the site loads in Italian, there’s a language switcher in the main menu)

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:59 PM, teenflon5 said:

I’d love to get or make a trim wheel that works with FS2020 as I find trimming quite difficult otherwise. Does anyone know any products or 3d printer projects that work with fs2020?

You are asking for the wrong hardware, you need a forcé feedback yoke ( too expensive ) or joystick.

( these have to be second hand , SideWinder 2 or Logitech g940 )

Trimming in sims without forcé feedback is unnatural, thats why you have autotrimming in the a320.

Either fly in autopilot, buy a forcé feedback yoke or joystick  or just get used to it.

Edited by warning23

I imagine everyone already knows about the new 'pro' model taking pre orders to replace their other trim wheel. You have both sensitivity and trim on one controller.

https://flightvelocity.com/collections/flight-simulator-flight-controls

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Just onto this thread. 

So on my works toy, we have a double electric motor on a jack screw that moves out horizontal stabiliser. the elevator will return to neutral when in trim. So our yokes sit central. The bottom of hte jack screw has a drum with cables wrapped round. If the cables are locked stopping the drum from turning it locks up mechanically so the motors can't spin the jack screw. Those cables travel 100ft or so to a horizontal drum. The drum is rotated by two chains with sprung tensioners on them to a pair of wheels on the centre pedestal. These are mirror image alloy castings. With flick out handles. beware. these are evil devil tools designed to rip your knees off your leg!

The chain tensioners are what give the clattering sound when trimming. Those big trim wheels can go years without ever being touched..... so in reality, anyone flying the PDMG 737NG really doesn't need a physical trim wheel. They're bloody vicious! 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!