Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Worse FPS when lowering scaling?

I know that increasing the render scaling is a quick way to kill frames but in trying to tweak my settings I experimented with lowering it to simulate 1080 vs my native 1440 resolution. I went from low 30’s at heathrow in the rain preset with the 787 to mid 20’s even after waiting a few minutes for it to stabilize. This makes no sense to me. Am I doing something wrong?  I also noticed after setting it back to 100 the FPS hit is still there some until I restart the sim. Do I j use need to try restarting after changing it to a lower setting?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I don’t have an answer, but can confirm this happened to me as well. At 60 rendering my image is more blurry than standard xplane yet my fps dropped, going back to 100 it remained low. 

I keep the render scaling at 80 on a 4k display so I can keep other settings at ultra. It's great to have extra frames on hand for when it scenery and/or AI get busy. It definitely improved my frames, but I would probably not drop the scaling any lower to avoid losing clarity of image.

Setting the render scale lower will reduce your GPUs performance and put more work on your CPU, you should only reduce graphics options if your GPU is the bottleneck in your system, take a look at this https://premiumbuilds.com/features/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-performance-benchmark-analysis/

"The saving grace here, of course, is that settings can be tweaked to perfectly balance GPU load and take the heat off of the CPU. So as long as your GPU is in the correct performance bracket you can fine-tune it to your taste and to eliminate CPU bound situations"

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I think you guys missed the point of the thread. It sure would be great to get better performance by reducing rendering quality, but that is not happening for us. My gpu (1070) is the bottleneck as cpu (ryzen 3600) never reaches over 45-50%. There is some kind of bug that the OP reported and I corroborated. I haven’t investigated this further as I don’t need scaling at the moment.

My I9 10900k normal workload is around 20-35%, I have tweaked my GPU to work between 90-100%, in that way I squeeze out max what my GPU can handle and relieve the pressure for my CPU, It is very handy to have reserv power when you come in for a landing on a crowded KLAX.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, shadow133 said:

I think you guys missed the point of the thread. It sure would be great to get better performance by reducing rendering quality, but that is not happening for us. My gpu (1070) is the bottleneck as cpu (ryzen 3600) never reaches over 45-50%. There is some kind of bug that the OP reported and I corroborated. I haven’t investigated this further as I don’t need scaling at the moment.

I think the 45-50% figure you are quoting is for an average of all the cores, you will probably find that one of the cores is being pushed to near 100%.

By lowering the rendering % you are pushing even more onto the CPU which is already near maxed out on 1 core.

I have a Ryzen 3700X and a 2070 Super running at 2560 x 1440 at 100 % scaling my GPU is running around 75-80% and my average CPU% is about 40% but if I check one of the cores I'll see it's about 80% .

If I adjust the rendering scale to 80% then my GPU drops to about 65-70% but my CPU average goes up to about 55% but one core is being maxed out at 100% so I get worse performance.

14 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Setting the render scale lower will reduce your GPUs performance and put more work on your CPU, you should only reduce graphics options if your GPU is the bottleneck in your system, take a look at this https://premiumbuilds.com/features/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-performance-benchmark-analysis/

"The saving grace here, of course, is that settings can be tweaked to perfectly balance GPU load and take the heat off of the CPU. So as long as your GPU is in the correct performance bracket you can fine-tune it to your taste and to eliminate CPU bound situations"

Thanks that makes sense. I also have FPS limited to 40 for now in Nvidia control panel. The sim was hammering my cooling loop when allowed to run flat out. I’m going to be adding a second radiator soon and then I should be able to unlock it again. After that I can retweak to maybe up some of the settings that affect gpu only to ultra from high and try to get out of being cpu limited.

That website makes it sound like I should more be targeting Ultra vs high for a 2080 Super at 1440p. Though I’ve pretty much already done that with the guide on the msfs forum. limiting the FPS though is keeping me out of potentially being gpu limited though. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro