Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Why do I still use FSX?

12 hours ago, W2DR said:

Three reasons. 331 add-on aircraft. 603 add-on sceneries. And, most importantly, they all work.....flawlessly.

Well I do not have that many of either.  I primarily fly four FSX (now FSX SE) aircraft.  The Realair TDv2, Milviz B55 Baron, Milviz Cessna 310R, and the A2A Cessna 182.  I have 306 add on airports, mostly GA and freeware (quite a number are in the freeware Orbx Global Airport scenery).  I have flown into and out of all of them as I find and add them as I plan my flights based on real life events.  I also use Megascenery Earth as my underlying scenery, and at the altitudes I fly are quite acceptable.

My flights average just under two hours, some much longer, some much shorter.  I also fly with real time weather, which is often IFR and IMC, so realistic weather is important.  And thus navigation and AP implementation are important to completing flights.  

My FSX SE and add on installation appears to be sticking around for quite some time....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, I say why not? I learned not to use add-on airports, and still run both FSX and FS9 in my laptop. I keep X-plane for some VFR sightseeing, until I get a better rig (or I'm sure enough my laptop won't complain about heat with MSFS2020).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

The new MSFS has a lot of flaws and limitations, but I'm spending most of my sim time with it just to learn all the ins and outs. Just an example I'm on autopilot and ATC gives me the approach/transition (which is pretty cool actually, not just defaulting to vectors to final), so I put that in the GPS and the plane turns way off in the wrong direction, nowhere near the the transition waypoint. The thing that most impresses me is the performance on my lousy old laptop is quite respectable while also looking really good visually with no tweaking, that's not at all the case with FSX which took a lot of extra work to look good and perform well.

I'm not giving up FSX though, too many great addon aircraft, wonderful AI traffic thanks to AIG and fantastic weather simulation thanks to AS16.

• Like 1

Barry Friedman

My hats off to folks who get the most out of what they have and don't have to go dancing after the pied piper chasing every new thing. Marketers do hate them.

• Like 1

Vic green

One reason--the PMDG MD-11

I keep FSX on my portable sim rig for the occasional MD-11 flight, and sometimes the J-4100 too.  But were it not for the MD-11, I'd probably have already dispensed with FSX.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, fs4fun said:

so I put that in the GPS and the plane turns way off in the wrong direction

There appears to be a flaw where the G1000 / AP in some aircraft need a fix in place that precedes the IAF for the published approach in order to function correctly.  If the approach is activated with the IAF as the next fix appears to cause the issue.  I hope to better test the theory tomorrow or the next day.  In the aircraft I am flying the 172 (G1000) seems to be OK with the IAF as the next fix when the approach is activated, but the DA62 turns in the opposite direction.  
Now this is my experience when flying on a flight plan and is based on just when an approach is first "loaded: and then the approach is "activated" on the PROC page of the G1000 after passing the final enroute fix of the flight plan.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 minutes ago, fppilot said:

There appears to be a flaw where the G1000 / AP in some aircraft need a fix in place that precedes the IAF for the published approach in order to function correctly.  If the approach is activated with the IAF as the next fix appears to cause the issue.  I hope to better test the theory tomorrow or the next day.  In the aircraft I am flying the 172 (G1000) seems to be OK with the IAF as the next fix when the approach is activated, but the DA62 turns in the opposite direction.  

Thanks, yes this happened to me in the DA62. I'll try the G1000 C172. In my case I was cleared to the IAF after crossing my last enroute waypoint and I immediately activated the proc.

• Like 1

Barry Friedman

6 minutes ago, fs4fun said:

Thanks, yes this happened to me in the DA62. I'll try the G1000 C172. In my case I was cleared to the IAF after crossing my last enroute waypoint and I immediately activated the proc.

Also try again in the DA62, activating the approach before that last enroute fix and see what it does.  I have been too busy elsewhere this weekend to test it out.

By the way.  Thank you for being a donor and supporter here:

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

5 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Collectively we will get ahead of this.  Then we can clamor for the fix.

What we need here is for some member with actual G1000 experience to verify how it's logic works in this respect.  I have taken quite a number of rides in a GTN 750 equipped Cessna 310, and even more rides in a Baron with dual GNS's and have been declared proficient and delegated to handle those duties.  I have not on even one occasion ridden along on a flight in a Garmin glass panel equipped aircraft.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

This is the only reason I keep FSX-SE/P3Dv3 around is for this aircraft.  I've done a lot of work on the Howard (paint) and the only thing I don't like about those sims is the lack of self-reflections which MSFS does very well.

Howard 500 by Milton 

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

This is the only reason I keep FSX-SE/P3Dv3 around is for this aircraft.  I've done a lot of work on the Howard (paint) and the only thing I don't like about those sims is the lack of self-reflections which MSFS does very well.

Howard 500 by Milton 

Hi TeD,

Yes I totally understand your decision to keep FSX and P3D around. 👍

Thats a nice aircraft.Did you add in the rivets and the screws yourself?  That's pretty impressive fuselage detail and the chrome reflections on the engine cowling look quite convincing.😁

Thanks for posting.

That also reminds me of another (5th) reason I also kept FSX around...

A good 3-5 years ago I invested a lot of time (100+ hrs I would say) spent designing airport scenery. I released 8 major versions of Frankfurt Airport for FSX with the latest detail of the airport layout, runways and taxiways as well as buildings I designed in GMax. Its nice to go back and get some enjoyment out of what you personally put into the sim even after all this time.

....oh and BTW that EDDF version is way more frame rate friendly in FSX than the commercial version sold by a well known distributor. Excuse me for a brief moment while I blow my own trumpet a little  🎺 Toot toot!

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

13 hours ago, aldridgem said:

Hi TeD,

Yes I totally understand your decision to keep FSX and P3D around. 👍

Thats a nice aircraft.Did you add in the rivets and the screws yourself?  That's pretty impressive fuselage detail and the chrome reflections on the engine cowling look quite convincing.😁

Thanks for posting.

Yep, all new normals (bumps), screws, rivets, and panels. Remarkable aircraft and basically the same aircraft from the FS2002 days, although it's been updated by Milton to FSX/P3D status.  FSX (bumps) and P3D (reflections). 

On 9/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, fppilot said:

There appears to be a flaw where the G1000 / AP in some aircraft need a fix in place that precedes the IAF for the published approach in order to function correctly. 

This is something that @cwburnett has been working hard on fixing for the CJ4 mod.   We're also going to be applying the same fix to the G1000 and (eventually) other Garmin displays.  So stay tuned to updates on either of those mods based on whichever you're interested in.

On 9/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, W2DR said:

Three reasons. 331 add-on aircraft. 603 add-on sceneries. And, most importantly, they all work.....flawlessly.

I absolutely guarantee that 603 add-on sceneries in fsx do not work flawlessly together, and if they work at all acceptably it is only after a whole lot of work, testing and patching.  Been there.  If I could do a simple install of my fsx purchases, and be able to fly the MD11 again, I would do it tomorrow, but... life’s too short for all that noise again.

now, if you have a tuned and working fsx setup on your rig already, enjoy!

Give me a break. All I said was I HAD 603. Nobody is dumb enough to try to install all that stuff at the same time. I know what works together and what doesn't. It's not all that difficult to manage.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.