Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Change visibility

Maybe I’m going mad but I can’t figure out how to set the low level visibility in fs2020. In fsx you could set cloud layers and surface vis distance but I can’t see where to do this in the new one? 

The advanced weather is much less advanced than in FSX.  First, be sure you have real traffic turned off, because having it on locks your weather.  Then you can go to the menu and modify your weather.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Impossible to set visibility in a new "state-of-the-art" flightsim....but there is a Godzilla addon!

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I bet, Godzilla is not oversensitive in flight controls either.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

15 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Impossible to set visibility in a new "state-of-the-art" flightsim....but there is a Godzilla addon!

Yes, you do have a valid point there.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

The Visibility "adjustment" in other sims is simply a cheat.  Visibility is a result of conditions. It's not the condition itself.  You can definitely create those conditions in in the sim to give you as much of a realistically reduced visibility as you want.  Increased Aerosol Density for one example. 

• Like 3

I vaguely recall something called "aerosol" during the alpha, have you tried changing the settings? I cant seem to find much info about ActiveSky for FS2020, really hope these guys can come to the rescue.

5 minutes ago, dpcnh1 said:

The Visibility "adjustment" in other sims is simply a cheat.  Visibility is a result of conditions. It's not the condition itself.  You can definitely create those conditions in in the sim to give you as much of a realistically reduced visibility as you want.  Increased Aerosol Density for one example. 

I hear you, but it would also be nice to look at a metar, and set the same parameter in the sim without having to go figure out what exact condition will create the desired value for visibility...

Edited by 757FO

45 minutes ago, dpcnh1 said:

This so much ! People don't really understand what visibility is. The sim's weather engine can generate really insane IMC conditions once the criteria is met based on real world data.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

The sim may have a great weather engine but it's still not practical! I want to set a specific visibility to simulate flying VFR at VFR minimums which has been a bit of a pain to figure out! 

I sat on the runway, tuned ATIS, and figured out the weather settings for different visibilities. As far as settings go;

• Aerosol density does nothing to change visibility
  • Scatter does nothing to change visibility

The only way I have found to change visibility is to set a cloud layer which is from the ground up to whatever altitude and vary the coverage. Other factors in my tests don't appear to do anything. Here is the scatter percentages to set for certain visibilities;

• 1/2 Mile - 100%
  • 3/4 Mile - 90%
  • 1 Mile - 85%
  • 2 Miles - 80%
  • 3 Miles - 70%
  • 4 Miles - 60%
  • 5 Miles - 50%
  • 6 Miles - 40%