Sign in to follow this  
ggerolamo

Future of p3d according to Mathijs Kok

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The good news is that both MSFS and P3d5 have effect-based clouds and 3D trees

I am using P3D 4.5 and do not see 3D trees unless you are talking about those horrible neon green trees that everyone turns off because they are ugly and use way too many resources. I do not have v5, but does v5  have something different?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Another good point will be in a few weeks/months when fslabs releases the sharklets. We will see screenshots all over the place which will further prove development and purchasing has not ceased for P3d. However likely has for aerosoft level products in p3d

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

54 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

More austerity from you, sir; it doesn't matter where the topic is located as long as opinions expressed are inline with the topic.  Again, this isn't your house....

Never said it’s my house. Especially since I use both sims. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Another good point will be in a few weeks/months when fslabs releases the sharklets. We will see screenshots all over the place which will further prove development and purchasing has not ceased for P3d. However likely has for aerosoft level products in p3d

Do you expect companies to abandon products that are 80%+ complete?  I doubt they would be so willing to throwaway their investments.  To that point, it really doesn't prove anything; the proof is how many fresh developments will you see.  I suggest the major add-on companies won't start new projects for P3D.  To that point, you won't see a new PMDG or FSL aircraft designed for legacy simulators again.  Of course, that will change if the SDK allows for dual development...

Matt King

3 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Do you expect companies to abandon products that are 80%+ complete?  I doubt they would be so willing to throwaway their investments.  To that point, it really doesn't prove anything; the proof is how many fresh developments will you see.  I suggest the major add-on companies won't start new projects for P3D.  To that point, you won't see a new PMDG or FSL aircraft designed for legacy simulators again.  Of course, that will change if the SDK allows for dual development...

The amount of people who purchase the sharks will be a pretty strong statement. We can argue back and forth. At the end of the day msfs has promise for the future for people who do airline flying. But it’s the future not the present. That is undeniable. I look forward to the future though. 

• Upvote 1

On a more general note: Everyone saying “Just give Asobo more time to fix the bugs etc.“ - which of course is correct - should also be fair enough to grant LM the same courtesy. Compare what MSFS can offer right now with what P3D can offer right now, and of course with add-ons.

• Like 3

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

From Aeroplane Heaven...

Simply, developing for MSFS, and I mean genuine dedicated MSFS add-ons, is a far more complex, time and resource consuming process than for any other sim. This time consumption has an impact on smaller companies' cashflow. We can't develop in the volume we could for say, P3D in the same timeframe. And if we are not developing for P3D/FSX, we lose that income stream. Many devs will feel this pain as they dive into developing for MSFS. If people no longer buy add-ons for P3D, smaller outfits are going to find it hard to survive while they develop for the new simulator. Some may even implode.

Add to all this that the SDK is still not complete - there are large tracts of invaluable info and data missing - which is hampering the release of genuine, dedicated new product, life, shall we say, is getting very interesting.

In a nutshell, the development industry needs people to continue to support P3D while MSFS and developers find their feet.

Well he's right I've stopped buying for P3D a year ago. I do keep P3Dv3 for some aircraft.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I respect Mathijs, he’s consistently promoted new platforms in the past and declared them great foundations an new innovations, he’s done it for P3D and for XP and for FSX, etc.  

However, I don’t recall him drawing a line in the sand before on any platform, so this is a new approach and I’ll assume he wants to try to shift more users to MSFS.  Given the mediocre reviews of MSFS on Steam and MS Store, perhaps he’s concerned about his contract investments in MSFS products and potential revenue from those MSFS products?  Sales not meeting expectations?

This is the only reason I can come up for making such a public announcement given Aerosoft have a massive volume of existing P3D content which he seems to be writing off ... not sure how that’s good for Aerosoft?

Cheers, Rob.

Medicare reviews?  The game currently has 12,405 review, which are "MOSTLY POSITIVE."  The preponderance of the initial bad reviews were related to install issues, were were addressed in last weeks patch.  Since, the game has received overwhelming positive reviews, which moved the aggregate rating from 'mediocre' to 'positive.'  

Seriously, you can't think of another reason?  Is it possible his notion is based on empirical data (e.g. sales, forum activity, shared information and market trends)?  To that point, if nobody is buying said existing library, how could he be writing it off? I believe that's his point.  He's stating what obvious to everyone but a few poster that have personnel, economical or emotional attachment to P3Ds.  

• Like 5

Matt King

Medicare reviews?  The game currently has 12,405 review, which are "MOSTLY POSITIVE."  The preponderance of the initial bad reviews were related to install issues, were were addressed in last weeks patch.  Since, the game has received overwhelming positive reviews, which moved the aggregate rating from 'mediocre' to 'positive.'  

Seriously, you can't think of another reason?  Is it possible his notion is based on empirical data (e.g. sales, forum activity, shared information and market trends)?  To that point, if nobody is buying said existing library, how could he be writing it off? I believe that's his point.  He's stating what obvious to everyone but a few poster that have personnel, economical or emotional attachment to P3Ds.  

When it’s possible to simulate airline flying with more realistic aircraft models and accurate taxiway and gates perhaps msfs will have arrived. Right now I consider it an emerging market. 

2 hours ago, aguiar said:

That's your opinion, IMHO Active Sky is far better looking, with the advantage that live weather really Works, it isn't locked to 225/3

The winds /weather is a bug acknowledged by Asobo and to be patched shortly.  

I have a different opinion about the look of the weather compared to you though.  We'll just leave it at - two opposite opinions.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Those responses to Mathijs on the Aerosoft forum are petulant and embarrassing.  He was asked a question on his company's website, and he answered it while quickly explaining why.

Almost as embarrassing are the responses here either loudly or circuitously suggesting he's just a dishonest shill primarily concerned with ensuring MSFS supremacy.  Or the people saying they don't care and AS products suck anyway, despite apparently spending enough time on their forum to see and reply to his comments in the first place.

If he says P3D-based sales have flatlined for them, then I'm hard pressed to call him a liar.  That doesn't mean he's speaking for every 3PD in the business.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, micstatic said:

When it’s possible to simulate airline flying with more realistic aircraft models and accurate taxiway and gates perhaps msfs will have arrived. Right now I consider it an emerging market. 

That's coming, sir.  New update is expected this week and a group of people are turning the default A320 and 747 into viable simulator platforms. The latter is what's very exciting; we have simmers donating their time to make the default aircraft better.  To that point, we could have a Zibo type aircraft that negates the need to buy expensive third-party add-ons. Finally, I find your statement regrading flight models to be antithetical to my real-world flying experience.  As a PPL holder, I'm using MSFS to continue to evolve my skills flying around NorCal; in fact, I find MSFS far more conducive to those efforts than P3D. The environmental immersion is something I've never experienced before...       

• Like 3

Matt King

That's coming, sir.  New update is expected this week and a group of people are turning the default A320 and 747 into viable simulator platforms. The latter is what's very exciting; we have simmers donating their time to make the default aircraft better.  To that point, we could have a Zibo type aircraft that negates the need to buy expensive third-party add-ons. Finally, I find your statement regrading flight models to be antithetical to my real-world flying experience.  As a PPL holder, I'm using MSFS to continue to evolve my skills flying around NorCal; in fact, I find MSFS far more conducive to those efforts than P3D. The environmental immersion is something I've never experienced before...       

Like I said. Emerging market. Many of us are real life aviators to varying degrees. My comments are about airline flying. I’ve also been monitoring the developments you list and I am excited about them too. But I get excited when something has arrived and ready for me to use. For now msfs is installed but not clicked often right now.  Hopefully we will get some comments from pmdg, fslabs and maddog soon on their progress.  I believe in them because they have demonstrated they walk the walk and not just talk the talk. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kingm56 said:

Does anyone actually navigate to the forum via headers? 

Uh.  Is there another way to navigate the forum?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

Uh.  Is there another way to navigate the forum?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/436-the-prepar3d-forum/