Sign in to follow this  
aktorsyl

Best locations for bush flying in Alaska

So I'm using OnAir to fly some cargo and pax back & forth in a Caravan and I'm loving it. Currently flying around in Southern Africa, but I've always been tempted to do some bush flying in Alaska. I checked out the Inner Passage last night but wasn't really blown away by it. Any location in Alaska you guys can recommend for a bush flying HQ, with good photogrammetry etc?

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

There are some good free Alaska add ons you can download now for some of the better areas.. Best bush flying is actually in Idaho otherwise...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Someone did a freeware Unakaleet airport I'd recommend that.  Thats the area that the TV show Flying Wild Alaska was filmed in.

try new guinee, i say thats the best bushflying, hard to find fields in mountains.

I ended up flying between 2 of the Aleutian islands courtesy of FS Economy's out-of-date database, and loved it.  ATU (on ATTU) turns out to have an incredibly scenic approach from the SW.  And sad though I am to admit it, I don't think I ever knew this chain existed.  Contains both furthest West and furthest East spots in the US, and is in part a good deal closer to Russia than mainland US.  Love it when FS gets me onto wikipedia for half an hour to follow up the flying.  MSFS20 also has the advantage that abandoned airfields are still there, since of course the runway is still there on the satellite image.

• Like 1

Paul Skol

Not Alaska,  but have you ever hauled passengers and food/supplies into and out of Lukla?    That area is jaw dropping at dusk / dawn.

Might I recommend this video by a community member. Some inspiration if nothing else. If you haven't seen it already:

• Like 2