Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

DevMode - FPS

Hello everyone! Could someone please help me understand the below in greater detail? Thanks!

image.png

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

The key information is at the top

1) Frame rate FPS

2) How long the frame took in milliseconds   if you divide this into 1000ms it  should be the same as  (1)

3) there are some resolutions; not sure of the top one.  The bottom one is your monitor or window size and the middle one is what the game is rendering to based on the render scale slider.

4) each frame involves  a number of activities that occur in parallel.  It tells you the slowest one which is determining the frame time and therefore the FPS. 

In your case it is the GPU that is limiting the rate.  If you had a faster GPU then you would have achieved more than 59 FPS  but I see that your main thread took almost as long as the GPU so you would  probably only have gained a few FPS (maybe getting to 63)

You then see timings for the 5 main activities:

Main Thread - prepares and draws the frame on the CPU

Reader thread probably to do with loading (reading) scenery?

Manipulators - threads to manipulate stuff! - no idea what these do

CoherentGT draw - I think that this is the rendering of 2D textures e,g for GPS MFDs etc

GPU - rendering the frame on the display.

At the bottom it tells you how much computer and video card memory you are using.

Now the graphs I think are meant to show for recent frames how each activity did  against the frame rate that you have for vsync in your settings.   I assume that you have 60 FPS set there and that vsync is off (as otherwise the top resolution says SYNC).

The green graphs for CPU, RDR Thread and manipulators show that the CPU is all fine and could do 60FPS.   It is curious that the GPU is all green given it says that it is limited by GPU - perhaps the CoherentGT draw is also counted as a GPU activity?   I  don't know - the CoherentGT is showing yellow which indicates missing the target I believe.

I found some documentation on Coherent and it does seem to be a 2D renderer.  My best guess then is that the GPU coloured bar tells you whether the 3D rendering would have met the fps target, the Coherent GT tells you the additional GPU time it took but the graph is for whether the GPU as a whole could meet the frame rate target.  Limited by gpu also applies I think to the combination.

The top graph suggests that most of the time you are hitting 60FPS - i think that the height of the yellow bars then show you how much you missed by .

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

That is amazing, thank you so much! 

3 hours ago, SteveFx said:

4) each frame involves  a number of activities that occur in parallel.  It tells you the slowest one which is determining the frame time and therefore the FPS. 

In your case it is the GPU that is limiting the rate.  If you had a faster GPU then you would have achieved more than 59 FPS  but I see that your main thread took almost as long as the GPU so you would  probably only have gained a few FPS (maybe getting to 63)

Does that mean that if I get the new RTX 3080, performance would not increase a whole lot? Is it due to my CPU? I do have an i9-9900K O/C 5.0 GHz.

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I don't think I can answer a question like that based on a screenshot of the FPS counter and no context as to what you were doing at the time!     

In the (unknown) scenario it seems to me that the dev FPS counter suggests that you would get a small gain - but do you need more than 60?

You currently have a 1440p display.  A more powerful GPU  would allow you to upgrade to a 4K monitor whilst retaining the same frame rate.

With your current monitor a more powerful GPU would also allow you to increase some of the sliders that are GPU only - e.g you could increase the shadow buffer size in the UserCfg file and/or change the render scale over 100 and see if that sharpens the GPS displays perhaps.

It is also worth bearing in mind that there is a patch being release in the next week or so that might change the performance profile.

My system toggles fast between "Limited by main thread" and "Limited by GPU" I see this as my system and settings being properly balanced.

I run most settings on Ultra, but has lowered the most FPS demanding settings to High.

With the Cessna 152 over Orbx 1S2 Darrington , I see ~70 FPS, but over London (Orbx London City P + Orbx Land marks) I get around 50 FPS.

This is with 1920x1080 resolution.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home