Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Can anyone make the G1000 AP fly an approach?

I was flying (Textron 172) into KAPF using the VOR RWY 5 VOR approach.  I was at 3,500' on the runway heading inbound at 2 NM from the first waypoint in the approach (LEV).  I had previously LOADED the approach.

I pressed ACTIVATE and the flight plan / approach section suddenly had USER as the first waypoint at 5 NM at 90° to my current heading and then LEV appeared twice, at the correct bearing, but a distance of 9,500 NM.  I tried to delete the USER waypoint but when I did the AP did a 360° and headed off to some unknown waypoint on a bearing that did not correspond to anything in the flight plan.

Does any of the approach technology work in the G1000?

I have no problem making ILS approaches using a VOR/Glide Slope.  I was quite proficient with GPS approaches in FSX. 

I have operated very complex Garmin GPS Nav systems/autopilots in big boats for several decades including systems with multiple displays as in our AC - I have no idea how to make the G1000 work. 

Is it me or is this really a BETA Bug in the G1000?

This is just one of MANY problems I have with the G1000, e.g. flying at 5,000 and change the altitude bug to 3,500 and select FLC 107 kts (current speed).  The appropriate FLC info shows at the top of the PFD but nothing happens for several minutes.  Then suddenly, with no further prompting the FLC change begins, OR sometimes it never begins. 

I am getting very frustrated!@$

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

18 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

I was flying (Textron 172) into KAPF using the VOR RWY 5 VOR approach.  I was at 3,500' on the runway heading inbound at 2 NM from the first waypoint in the approach (LEV).  I had previously LOADED the approach.

I pressed ACTIVATE and the flight plan / approach section suddenly had USER as the first waypoint at 5 NM at 90° to my current heading and then LEV appeared twice, at the correct bearing, but a distance of 9,500 NM.  I tried to delete the USER waypoint but when I did the AP did a 360° and headed off to some unknown waypoint on a bearing that did not correspond to anything in the flight plan.

I have no problem making ILS approaches using a VOR/Glide Slope.  I was quite proficient with GPS approaches in FSX. 

I have operated very complex Garmin GPS Nav systems/autopilots in big boats for several decades including systems with multiple displays as in our AC - I have no idea how to make the G1000 work. 

This is just one of MANY problems I have with the G1000, e.g. flying at 5,000 and change the altitude bug to 3,500 and select FLC 107 kts (current speed).  The appropriate FLC info shows at the top of the PFD but nothing happens for several minutes.  Then suddenly, with no further prompting the FLC change begins, OR sometimes it never begins. 

Ha have tried numerous times and the answer is NO. The TBM is the poster-plane for these French dudes, so have been defaulting to it for testing and it fails to the point can't even get an ARNAV armed/activated properly let along ride the rails. Believe this is known issue listed in next patch notes...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

Try it again but this time activate the approach before you get to the last nav point in the flight plan that comes before the IAF of the approach.  Not completely confirmed as I have not had the time to do repeated trials, but it appears the MSFS G1000, in at least some of the MSFS aircraft, activates the segment in the flight plan that leads TO the IAF when the approach is activated.  When you are already inside that segment it appears to get confused and return to that NAV that starts that segment.  But maddingly it appears to continue on past that nav point, possibly flying the flight plan in reverse.

Yesterday I flew an approach at the end of a flight plan based on that assumption and it flew the approach correctly.  I activated the approach prior to that last fix before the IAF.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've been flying approaches in the TBM and have had no issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Understand.  At what point are you activating the approach?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Usually just before I reach the last waypoint. I then get the user entry with the red leg bracket linked to the first waypoint of the approach.

Vic

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Have done at least two flights from EGGP to EGLC using the C172 G1000 automation system for the entire route with no issues

Edited by EvidencePlz

20 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Try it again but this time activate the approach before you get to the last nav point in the flight plan that comes before the IAF of the approach.  Not completely confirmed as I have not had the time to do repeated trials, but it appears the MSFS G1000, in at least some of the MSFS aircraft, activates the segment in the flight plan that leads TO the IAF when the approach is activated.  When you are already inside that segment it appears to get confused and return to that NAV that starts that segment.  But maddingly it appears to continue on past that nav point, possibly flying the flight plan in reverse.

Yesterday I flew an approach at the end of a flight plan based on that assumption and it flew the approach correctly.  I activated the approach prior to that last fix before the IAF.

The other execution that worked at least once for me is when I activated after that last fix before the IAF and it turned me around, I waited a minute or two and then went into the PROC page and activated the approach a second time.  It then flew that previous fix and picked up the approach correctly.

Now to be clear here. On these occasions I was on a lengthy flight plan with multiple interim navpoints.  I have not attempted to load an approach other than from such a flight plan.

The flights I refer to were all in the DA62.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

49 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Then guess if the magenta diamond gives one the correct glide slope.

LOL, it's only correct if you are high.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

6 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

LOL, it's only correct if you are high.

Yep.  It "Kinda" catches the GS but the indicator doesn't move and is below the expected GS. Puts you down about 200ft from the end of the runway. 🙂

9 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Yes, but there are numerous ways to set this up. I find if you set up the approach on the flight planning page then it is more likely to be successful. If however, you allow ATC to assign an approach and you try to load it using the PROC in the G1000/3000 then it will fail most of the time as the flight guidance tries to route you back to the first waypoint in the flight plan. 

Even when it does work, I find that it does not follow the procedures correctly adding a user waypoint as opposed to flying a correct HILO and having incorrect constraining altitudes in the flight plan. 

I would say it sort of works, but do not expect actual Garmin logic to how it does it. YMMV.  

One thing about it, it has improved my hand flying skill. Panics AP disconnect. Last thing you want to hear a pilot say. "I have the GROUND" in sight.