Sign in to follow this  
Roman Design

Greater Toronto Area enhancement pack (work in progress)

q30epxmd41n51.jpg?width=2325&format=pjpg

I posted Oakville downtown area before, now this is Mississauga downtown. Very close to CYYZ - Toronto Pearson International Airport. Toronto has photogrammetry in MSFS, and Toronto Island CYTZ is a custom airport, but photogrammetry ends outside of Toronto proper, and starts again around Burlington and Hamilton area. Many important Greater Toronto Area VFR landmarks and POI are left to autogen.

I've decided to correct that as much as I can, importing and editing Google photogrammetry, as well as fix some glaring terrain errors, such as a huge and long weird "aqueduct" type ridge with a river on top.

The areas I'm working on are: Mississauga downtown bildings and condos (see photos), very close to where the Pearson airport is and clearly visible on every arrival and departure, Some distinctive areas on Toronto lakeshore beyond photogrammetry area, Oakville Downtown, Oakville Trafalgar Hospital area with a helipad, and two major GA airports in the area: Downsview CYZD and Burlington Executive Airport CZBA.

Buildings are cut off from the rest of the imported mesh, so all roads and trees and minor buildings are from default autogen and satellite imagery. Careful batch texture color correction, together with contrast and brightness correction is leading to good blending of custom and autogen.

I'm aiming for making the whole GTA area comfortable for VFR flights and authentic CYYZ approaches and departures, and make local GA flights more enjoyable. So far I've done Oakville downtown and now Missisauga downtown. Meshes optimized and heavily edited, textures color corrected to blend with autogen building.

I left textures unbaked, as all my experiments with baking textures according to guides keep ending up with inferior look and much larger file size with the same FPS hit as hundreds of texture files. 8192x8192 baked texture look very pixelated with this scenery size, and 16384x16384 produces packages that are 3 times larger, and still have weird artifacts.

3atdy4nd41n51.jpg?width=3138&format=pjpg

4jx0x1nd41n51.jpg?width=3283&format=pjpg

1lkam1nd41n51.jpg?width=2518&format=pjpg

auwx5ymd41n51.jpg?width=2891&format=pjpg

p59zg7nd41n51.jpg?width=2495&format=pjpg

mgz17zmd41n51.jpg?width=3499&format=pjpg

ufw3n3nd41n51.jpg?width=3006&format=pjpg

pi7q40nd41n51.jpg?width=2698&format=pjpg

8sipy4nd41n51.jpg?width=2374&format=pjpg

vgfuv4nd41n51.jpg?width=3214&format=pjpg

kpy4x2nd41n51.jpg?width=3223&format=pjpg

Edited by romandesign
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 6

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

Are these files available somewhere? Thanks

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

Great work!  👍 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Vancouver has the same problem. Only downtown Vancouver and a little outside of downtown has photogrammetry.  The rest of metro Vancouver doesn't have photogrammetry. Actually, most Canadian cities don't have much photogrammetry.

While CYVR (Vancouver International Airport) looks decent given that it was not handcrafted, it would be cool if a 3rd party did a detailed and handcrafted version of CYVR.

• Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Vancouver has the same problem. Only downtown Vancouver and a little outside of downtown has photogrammetry.  The rest of metro Vancouver doesn't have photogrammetry. Actually, most Canadian cities don't have much photogrammetry.

While CYVR (Vancouver International Airport) looks decent given that it was not handcrafted, it would be cool if a 3rd party did a detailed and handcrafted version of CYVR.

I think FSimStudios is working on CYVR (maybe including some enhancements of the city). Which would be great.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Looks great! Following with interest. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Looks fantastic, will look forward to it when released.

Just love the enthusiasm for the scenery in MFS at the moment, there is some fantastic stuff coming out.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

Awesome,

Looking forward to trying this

Great work, thank you

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I think FSimStudios is working on CYVR (maybe including some enhancements of the city). Which would be great.

Kind regards, Michael 

Oh, that's good.  Edmonton International airport (CYEG) looks really ugly in MSFS and it's not close to the real airport.  I see FSimStudios did a good job with CYEG for X-Plane so hopefully, they do a great job for CYVR too!

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

. Actually, most Canadian cities don't have much photogrammetry.

I guess I'm lucky.  I'm out in the 'burbs in the Ottawa area and I can see my house.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Fabulous, thanks for doing this.  It’s interesting that there would be such a big gap in the photogrammetry data in between two areas that are covered.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU