Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

Graphics settings question

Hi,

I wanted to ask the most experienced for advise.

I currently own an RTX 2070 but don’t have 4K resolution monitor yet. In the graphics settings of the sim, should I put “High” instead of “Ultra”? “Ultra” should be the resolution for 4K? Not having a suitable monitor, with “Ultra”, I would have a weight load of the sim, correct? The resolution I currently use is 1920x1080.

For other settings you have recommendations to set according to the video card and processor (I7-8700K with 32gb ram)?

Thanks.

Edited by gianmarcoragazzoni

Your settings should be at a level that gives you a frame rate you're happy with. This is of course an individual preference.

I have a fairly similar system, an RTX 2070/i7-9700/32 Gb ram/2560x1080 monitor, and I have nearly all settings at High, except for buildings at Ultra, which gives me a frame rate around 45 fps in most places, which I'm happy with.

2 hours ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

should I put “High” instead of “Ultra”?

When I installed the sim it suggested High settings.  I set it to Ultra because I wanted to see what the sim was capable of regardless of frame rates.  I don't measure my fps but I suspect I'm getting around 30.

You can always go back and change the graphics settings after install.

There have been comparison videos between the various settings and Ultra is not really that much different from High.  Also, although I cannot confirm this, I've seen evidence that MSFS will reduce your settings "on the fly" to keep within systems limits.

I recommend not using caching as some report it can cause problems. You can always turn it on, but turning it off might not do what you think.  It's up to you, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Good luck!

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Its not all about FPS, because I think you will good frames on both high and ultra.

But you will maybe experience "stutters" (micro pauses in the animation).

So I will recommend you follow this guide, no matther what hardware you have.

https://www.msfsaddons.org/reference/maximise-performance-sofly-guide

And if you someday want to upgrade your monitor, I can really recommend you look into "Nvidia G-sync" tech. It is what every flightsim-fan should have 🙂

Edited by thbrix

Try it on Ultra. If you like it stick with that. Nothing will break anything so experimenting is the thing to do. I run on High but the game thought I should be on Low. I am loving High so have no desirte to change it. I did try Ultra but things started getting choppy at the big airports.

CJ

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

Ok, many thanks all. 
if you any other advice based on your experience please tell me.

Thanks.

I have an 8086 at 5 Ghz (was 5.2) and a 1080Ti now at default clocks (was overclocked by about 10%).  16GB Ram.

I did two things to stop having CTD's.  1 - I put everything down from ultra to high, and 2, I stopped overclocking everything too much.

To avoid heat build up and noisy fans, I also locked my frames at 30 using an external program (NVSS).

Don't use the MSFS internal frame rate limiter and vertical sync settings - it is proven as buggy and broken at the moment.  Set it to 60, and VS off and leave it there.

I could play all other games at my overclocked settings, but MSFS uses everything at max all of the time, using all CPU cores, and over extended time periods (flights lasting hours sometimes) and everything was getting really hot or just couldn't cope!   GPU was constantly at 100% with fans raging!  

Since doing this, I am not getting any problems.  Although an extra 16GB of RAM won't bring extra framerate, it might help stability on higher settings, as the cause of my stuttering was either due to the windows paging file (swap file) furiously trying to unload my RAM to fit in more MSFS stuff, or the two Cache files, which are known causes of stutter.

Since reducing overclocks, going down from ultra to high, and deleting the two Caches, I now hold 30+ frames everywhere, with no stutters, and no crashes to desktop.

It looks great at 2560 x 1440 and 130% scaling.  TAA switched on (a must) and aniso at x16, supersampling at x4 - no issues - loving it! 👍

I didn't really note much difference between Ultra and High anyway.  The level of detail setting looked better on 200, but once again brought me problems so I went back to 100.

As for the pauses after adjusting the weather etc. I think everyone gets them and it is just a characteristic of how the sim needs to load stuff in.

Edited by bobcat999
Clarity
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have used it and it tended to want me to have 60fps rather than the 20-30 I am happy with. I went back to the in-game graphics settings and simply set them as high.

I have never had any stutters at any setting. If I set to Ultra then the game will get choppy but I would not call them stutters. If I am way up in the sky then the game is smooth at pretty much any setting, just big airports on ultra can cause it to be choppy, usually even then once all the data is loaded it smooths out.

I have a medium spec machine - an Asus Laptop Nvidia 1060 with 6GB Ram, I7-8750, 16Gb Ram, 1TD NVME SSD. I would say that the NVME was transofrmational for running the game is it is so much faster than a normal SSD and way, way faster that a conventional modern HD. It was transformational in the sense that load times were so much faster. I suspect it is also helping in game a lot with scenery loading.

CJ

Not all settings are equal.  If you set to "ultra" then your LOD (mesh level of detail)  sliders (object and Terrain go to 200).  This setting is very CPU and GPU intensive as it sets the boundary of when you have higher detailed mesh form, and when object popin begins.  

Movng that from 200 to 100 can have a very large effect on performance with little difference in out the window representation.  (Think of the differences of the area of a circle 100 units in radius from your plane and the data contained in a circle that has twice the radius).  

Also Texture Resolution has a huge effect.  That is the ONLY setting that you need to restart MSFS2020 for changes to take effect.  Higher resolution textures for mesh and objects mean higher quality, but affect your GPU performance and VRAM usage.  You'll learn that somethings are really graphic intensive and others are not.  Finding the happy balance is one of the things that keeps us tweaking sliders.  I can compromise on a lot of things, but my clouds have to be ultra.  

• Like 1