Sign in to follow this  
Chock

I knew Boeing were good, but this is new....

Okay, here's a wierd one that's also a first for me in any version of FS I've ever had:I was flying the default B747 with the FS2 crew add-on for it, on the tutorial flight for that add-on (which is a 2 hour trip from Korea to Japan), and just to be different, I decided to use the plain white B747 rather than the Boeing liveried one that the saved flight loads with. In every other respect, I had all the stuff set up just as the tutorial suggests, so I suspect that the FS2 Crew add-on was nothing to do with what happened next...Everything fine in the flight until we get cleared to 19,000 feet, so I select that on the autopilot (since the default aircraft has no VNAV). After being busy with the cockpit set up, departure clearance, cabin announcements etc, but now comfortably in the climb to cruise and only waiting to make the cruise announcements, during this relatively quiet period of the flight I thought I'd take a look at the external view and check out the terrain.Somewhere between about 3,000 feet, where I'd had a quick look on the external view, and the approach to 19,000 feet, it seems the Boeing staff had repainted my aircraft in the Boeing livery. Yup, that's right, a new FSX innovation, in-flight repainting!Note that the computer CTD'd when the aircraft was 500 feet from levelling out into the cruise too (which is also a first, and may be FSX, or the FS2 add-on, I don't know, but FSX has never crashed before).So, either Boeing have developed a completely new in-flight painting system, FSX has a bug, or FS2 Crew's add-on has a wierd side affect on the sim.If Boeing have developed an in-flight painting system, this will no doubt cause panic at Toulouse, since the paint will dry much quicker with a Mach .78 slipstream racing past it, and that will enable Boeing to deliver aircraft quicker than Airbus can.Zut alors! as they say in Toulouse.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest TPN_Turnip

This innovation has been around for many, many years. It was first introduced in 1987. I was an inspector for Boeing when the first 747-400 was in the jig at Everett. There is a special coating applied that disappears at 5000 ft altitude. Glad to see FSX has incorporated it into flight simming.System Specs:P4 3.0SB LiveATI Radeon X800 GTO (256)1 Gig DDR RAM

All they need to do now is develop a system which will pop rivets back into place and then P.I.A. 747s will no longer leave a shower of rivets all over the runway at EGCC Manchester every time they go for another overloaded take-off :-)I bet the P.I.A. pilots wish there was an option on the real thing to untick the aicraft stress effects, like FS has. Although to be fair, I did hear from a BAE employee that they no longer do this kind of thing since they received a series of hefty fines.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here