Sign in to follow this  
DaedalusX

P3DV5 HT ON or OFF with 10700K

Just wondering if there is a new community consensus on the use of HT in P3D. It used to be strongly discouraged but maybe it's changed now ?

I run a 10700k with all 8 cores at 5.0 ghz with idle temps at 33-35. If I turn HT ON my temps are pretty much the same. So do you have to set a specific affinity mask or does P3D now recognize HT properly ?

Your idle temps aren't really a measure of much...the trick is to keep temps within bounds and the CPU stable with it under load, as it puts more stress on your overclock...higher temps, more voltage droop etc.

P3Dv5 appears to spread out the workload of the simulation "core" (not to be confused with a hardware CPU core) workload to LPs 0, 2, and 4, as opposed to all of it on core 0 in v4.x and earlier versions.  I run HT off on a 10-core 10900K, but if I were to run with it on, I would probably try it first using the CPU's ability to do per-core HT and only enable it on the cores beyond core 4 (in your case cores 5-7) and see if it makes any observable difference.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On a 8 core Ryzen 3700X I run with SMT off, no affinity mask other than the profile specific one FSlabs sets 

It does seems that at 5.1ghz under heavy load it is more stable with HT OFF than ON - With HT ON, even though the temps under load are similar, I do get the odd CTD under prime95.

13 minutes ago, DaedalusX said:

It does seems that at 5.1ghz under heavy load it is more stable with HT OFF than ON - With HT ON, even though the temps under load are similar, I do get the odd CTD under prime95.

Typically, HT off will allow you to get a 100-200 MHz bump in best overclock at a given set of voltage and LLC settings, at least if your CPU cooler is keeping up.  And conversely, if you did your OC with it off and then turn it on, then you may have to nudge your OC down a notch or two.

I also stopped using P95 as my go-to stress test...I think it's much too aggressive, especially if you run it with AVX instructions enabled.  I use RealBench now for a more realistic stress test.

• Upvote 1

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

27 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Typically, HT off will allow you to get a 100-200 MHz bump in best overclock at a given set of voltage and LLC settings, at least if your CPU cooler is keeping up.  And conversely, if you did your OC with it off and then turn it on, then you may have to nudge your OC down a notch or two.

I also stopped using P95 as my go-to stress test...I think it's much too aggressive, especially if you run it with AVX instructions enabled.  I use RealBench now for a more realistic stress test.

Thanks. I do prime95 with all AVX turned off. My cpu seems to max out at 72deg so I think I should be fine with a RTX3080 FE even if it'll add a few degs. Cooler is N-D15

So, is it best to still go for INtel chipsets for the single core (Core 1) performance over AMD Ryzen's which are better at multi-core applications?

Chris Camp

I have a six core AMD Ryzen CPU with HT on, and when I fly over heavy scenery, I see core/thread 0 being at max, but all of the other threads (out of 12) also work hard. If you overfly sparse scenery, most of the other cores run at low %. In FS2020, I see four threads running high, while the rest are almost idling.

• Like 1

I am bedding in my upgrade at the moment with HT on i want to run the sims and burn-in with AI learning before i OC but i will test with it off as well. i changed my case as well to fit 360 cooler and fitted Noctua industrial 140mm case fans, runs cooler than i expected.  

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I built an i7-10700K workstation about three weeks ago, with Noctura NH-U12A air cpu cooler and have run numerous stress and performance tests.  I noticed that P3Dv5 loads core 0/thread 0 fully during normal use with HT enabled and I recall a discussion in LM P3D forum a year or two ago by a LM developer.  I disabled HT on my AS Rock Z490 Extreme4 board and noted that now P3D loaded core 0 fully but note this is double what was observed on half of the core.  I keep HT off.  CPU temps run in the low 60's C during heavy loads, normally closer to 40 C.

LM comments then still apply:

The default behavior is to use all cores. The only purpose of applying an affinity mask would be to disable one or more cores. We don't recommend this, but we recognize that it may be beneficial in some cases. For example, there could be an add-on that communicates with another application. There could also be other unrelated windows applications running, that users don't want to close when they run Prepar3D. Higher fidelity training devices often rely on additional applications to perform simulation work. In that case, the system might be configured to allocate specific cores to specific applications. This can be done via OS settings, but the AM setting in the cfg makes it a bit easier.

The other use case that is often mentioned is to disable the hyper-threaded core that shares a physical processor with the primary thread. Sometimes doing a full workload on the HT core can slow down the primary. This is really chip and workload specific. We updated our job scheduler in v2 or v3 such that it typically uses core 1 without overloading it. In our tests, even with HT on, using all cores was typically better than masking off core 1 after the scheduling changes were made. Since then, we have not recommended custom AM settings.

One last thing I should note is that add-on dlls are considered to be part of the Prepar3D process. The AM settings will be applied to those dlls as well. Add-on developers may be creating their own threads and assigning heavy work loads to them.

Beau Hollis P3D Software Architect
23 Apr 2018

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

I cannot run HT On with P3Dv5 on my 10900k, which is the same as when I was running v4 on my 8700k.  The stutters are horrible with HT On, and I was never able to find an Affinity Mask setting that would make them go away without introducing quite pronounced blurries.  If I run P3D, I have to turn HT off first.  With HT off, no stutters at all.

P3D is the only application where I have to do this - flight sim or otherwise.

(My 10900k I currently run stock, by the way - I haven't taken the time yet to try to overclock it.)

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

3 hours ago, PurdueKev said:

I cannot run HT On with P3Dv5 on my 10900k, which is the same as when I was running v4 on my 8700k.  The stutters are horrible with HT On, and I was never able to find an Affinity Mask setting that would make them go away without introducing quite pronounced blurries.  If I run P3D, I have to turn HT off first.  With HT off, no stutters at all.

P3D is the only application where I have to do this - flight sim or otherwise.

(My 10900k I currently run stock, by the way - I haven't taken the time yet to try to overclock it.)

Keep in mind that you have another, possibly better option for HT, and that's to use the 10th gen chipset's capability to do per-core HT.  You might try it with HT turned on for cores 5-9, leaving cores 0-4 with HT off so that the simulation's primary threads on cores 0, 2, and 4 don't compete with other process threads on LPs that would be paired on those cores if HT were enabled on them.  No need to mess with HT in that case...you'd have 15 LPs in use, the first 5 are dedicated physical cores with primary process loads on three of them, and the last 10 are LPs paired-up across the remaining 5 cores.  I keep threatening to try that experiment, but I have a to-do list a mile long before I get around to that kind of tinkering.

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

Keep in mind that you have another, possibly better option for HT, and that's to use the 10th gen chipset's capability to do per-core HT.  You might try it with HT turned on for cores 5-9, leaving cores 0-4 with HT off so that the simulation's primary threads on cores 0, 2, and 4 don't compete with other process threads on LPs that would be paired on those cores if HT were enabled on them.  No need to mess with HT in that case...you'd have 15 LPs in use, the first 5 are dedicated physical cores with primary process loads on three of them, and the last 10 are LPs paired-up across the remaining 5 cores.  I keep threatening to try that experiment, but I have a to-do list a mile long before I get around to that kind of tinkering.

Yes, I have thought about that, but I just don't want to spend a lot of time customizing things to work with one application. I am not sure how much performance benefit I would realistically notice for P3D from the extra virtual cores anyway (I mean, I have 10 physical cores as it is!).  That's why I haven't bothered to even spend time overclocking the 10900k - when I measure per-core clock speed, the cores run at 4.8 anyway just on Turbo with stock BIOS settings. All I have done is enable XMP for my memory.  It is on my eventual to-do list to see what I could get from an OC (mine is a de-lidded k-processor, after all), but for now I am fine with the performance and I don't have to worry about stability.

The only nuisance is I have to reboot and disable HT before I run P3D (I have BIOS profiles set where only thing different is HT On or Off).

- Kevin

Windows 10 / i9-10900k / Zotac RTX-3080 Trinity OC (12GB) / MSI MEG Z490 ACE mobo / Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT liquid cooler / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3333MHz C16 DDR4 RAM / Dell Alienware AW3418DW WQHD 3440x1440 GSync / Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB (OS) & 860 EVO 4TB SDD / WD Caviar Black 4TB HDD  / EVGA Supernova 850 G5 PSU / Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 case / Virpil Warbird base with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS grip / MFG Crosswind rudder pedals / Virtual-Fly TQ6+ throttle quadrant / Winwing Orion HOTAS F-18 Throttle / Virpil TCS+ collective base with Hawk-60 grip / Saitek Trim Wheel / Saitek Radio and Switch Panels / Winwing Combat Ready Panel / Tobii 5

12 hours ago, w6kd said:

or just dont faff with the bios and just apply an AM that replicates that core use? 😉

although with 8+ cores, it's probably more than enough to just disable HT anyway with no performance loss..?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png