Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

MSFS - My Take

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Video is hilarious.. 😄

Great stuff.😂 I haven't had that good a laugh in a long time.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

I have to say that MSFS has left me somewhat underwhelmed. Yes, the terrain is a massive improvement but still has its problems, but the rest to me at the moment is underwhelming - I definitely see the potential, but where MSFS heads rests on whether the developers take it there to satisfy the "harder" players, or they go down the path of appeasing the gamers or arcade crowd.

I can fly around Sydney, Australia for example, with no Harbour Bridge - making that area of Sydney look like it was before 1932 when it was built. This would be the first iteration that has covered that part of the world and this feature, being just one example, does not exist.

While there are major deficiencies it seems with heavy aircraft in particular and autopilots, I hope the developers will atleast give 3PD's the resources they need to make them right.

I think a lot of people have been so taken up in the pre-launch hype and are willing it to succeed so much that they overlook the fact that we are really still beta testing.

That is something add-on developers have been smashed for over the years.

David Porrett

33 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Video is hilarious.. 😄

No wonder that air travel is waaaay down.  😂

• Like 1

Bill  N7IBG     

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

The photogrammetry, while beautiful in some areas, is horrible in others.  A lot of work is needed to fix this issue.

I've decided not to purchase it and will go back to P3Dv4 as IMO this sim is just not ready for prime time.

Dave

I dont own the sim yet and that is my biggest mental roadblock to getting it - I have never ever liked photogrammetry or any kind or photoscenery. I was hoping MSFS would have a landclass mode but I now know it does not. As you said the areas where its good suck you right in and you enjoy the flying a lot. What kills it for me is seeing the flattened cars, houses & trees from the 2D satellite pics, its just a massive immersion killer for me. However photo scenery is here to stay and if I want MSFS I'll just have to get used to it. I have to say though that in the areas where coverage is good and high-rez it does look nice - from altitude. Theres no doubt what Asobo have done is amazing, a 1:1 of the entire planet. Staggering, and it will only get better with time. 

The planes also look fantastic - but only the GA planes. The A320, B748 & 787  look like plastic toys from outside, there seems to be no "weight" to them and they are too clean 😀. Granted I have only gone by what I see in screenshots and YT vids. Im sure mods will come to fix all that.

I will get MSFS about 6 to 9 months from now.  I will use it to do scenic flying in and use XP11 to get my Zibo fix.

I see all sims as valuable. This is a niche genre in ocean of FPS and RPGs. All sims can co-exist. I will always have XP11 and MSFS sitting happily together on my system.

Edited by ThrottleUp
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThrottleUp said:

I dont own the sim yet and that is my biggest mental roadblock to getting it - I have never ever liked photogrammetry or any kind or photoscenery. I was hoping MSFS would have a landclass mode but I now know it does not. As you said the areas where its good suck you right in and you enjoy the flying a lot. What kills it for me is seeing the flattened cars, houses & trees from the 2D satellite pics, its just a massive immersion killer for me.

Actually, you can turn off Photogrammetry, and I have good news for you... no flattened cars, houses, or trees.  The 3d buildings are quite well done, and cars drive along the roads..

You may like it better than you are expecting. Just watch some of the videos.

The big cities do suffer when only generic building are being displayed, at least when you get low enough for an inspection..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Each specific aircraft should have full control over controller input and it should NOT be a "generic" setting applied on a global scale

It's not just 1 setting forced on a global scale.

You can make as many setting profiles as you like and choose to use whichever you want, depending upon which plane you feel like loading.

My personal gripe about this is that I don't like the curves. I'd much rather have a true axis sensitivity slider or digital readout we could adjust instead.

Edited by hangar

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

You can make as many setting profiles as you like and choose to use whichever you want, depending upon which plane you feel like loading.

But, it's not automated. It should load that profile for the aircraft instead of requiring to manually do it in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Actually, you can turn off Photogrammetry, and I have good news for you... no flattened cars, houses, or trees.  The 3d buildings are quite well done, and cars drive along the roads..

You may like it better than you are expecting. Just watch some of the videos.

The big cities do suffer when only generic building are being displayed, at least when you get low enough for an inspection..

Thats nice to know. I know they cant possibly cover every flat 2D image, I will search for vids showing the sim with the photo scenery turned off. Its the detail from low level thats important to me - I want to use MSFS for back-country flying. The Carbon Cub looks great for this 😀

23 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

But, it's not automated. It should load that profile for the aircraft instead of requiring to manually do it in my opinion.

Yes it would be nice...but at least it's not a game breaker.

In XP11 we're able to assign a profile to whichever planes you select in a menu...then that profile gets auto loaded with the plane or planes you previously assigned it to. Works great and would be nice to see that feature here as well.

Edited by hangar

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

As far as sensitivity settings and curves, that really shouldn't be a part of this game/sim ... with perhaps the setting of a very small null zone to deal with potentiometer flutter from poor or low quality potentiometers.  I brought this same issue up with LM.  Each specific aircraft should have full control over controller input and it should NOT be a "generic" setting applied on a global scale ... IMHO that invalidates flight models/physics.

When user has a single yoke / joystick, then sensitivity setting are required to to fine tune the response. In a sea of many offerings (different throw travels etc.), no one should expect a yoke / joystick to conform right of the box for every plane...much less blame the sim...even if the suggestions you made were implemented.

This is why LR and DCS have very robust sensitivity adjustment features.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Thats nice to know. I know they cant possibly cover every flat 2D image,

But they can cover every flat 2D image! That's the beauty of MSFS. The company they partnered with has an automated learning process that can generate over 1.5 BILLION buildings very quickly.

Did you miss the Blackshark AI partnership video?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

56 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Thats nice to know. I know they cant possibly cover every flat 2D image, I will search for vids showing the sim with the photo scenery turned off. Its the detail from low level thats important to me - I want to use MSFS for back-country flying. The Carbon Cub looks great for this 😀

It is not the photoscenery turned off but the Photogrammetry turned off which only really affects cities (and not all of them)..

The Savage Cub in Idaho is actually fantastic 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bert

38 minutes ago, n4gix said:

But they can cover every flat 2D image! That's the beauty of MSFS. The company they partnered with has an automated learning process that can generate over 1.5 BILLION buildings very quickly.

Did you miss the Blackshark AI partnership video?

That is amazing tech, nice vid!  I want to get the sim only for flying out in the back country avoiding all urban areas. I saw a vid the other day of a low level flight following a river and thats where I spotted flat 2D vegetation imagery with no AI-gen 3D vegetation sitting on top. My guess is that person likely had the sim running at a lower setting. It will definitely be a fun game to mess about it doing low level screaming runs in the bizzjet and landing on gravel bars in the very nice looking Carbon Cub. Its the CC, TBM, C172 & Citation bizzjet that look so great in the game and I cant wait to check them all out. 

36 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is not the photoscenery turned off but the Photogrammetry turned off which only really affects cities (and not all of them)..

The Savage Cub in Idaho is actually fantastic 🙂

Oh I see ok, Im not into flying GA over any urban areas so that wont affect me much. The sole purpose of me wanting MSFS is to goof around in the back country. There is a YouTuber & vlogger called Trent Palmer and i want to recreate the kind of flying i see in his vids!

Edited by ThrottleUp
  • Like 2

The moral of the story is that FS2020 is a future looking technology.  Jump onboard and help shape the future of flight simulation if not for yourself then for your grand children.

Cheers

bs

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The photogrammetry is where 3D objects are reconstructed in the sim which look just like the real-life object.  This is done using images taken at multiple angles which can then be combined to reconstruct an actual object.

I have come across cities with ugly blobs rising from the ground which are supposed to be trees.  Then there are buildings which are very distorted.  Either the imagery is not good enough, or the process being used to reconstruct the objects has flaws.  I just think it needs refinement, and if it's not good enough in an area then the sim shouldn't use it and just revert to the generic 3D object placement, which as of now also has its own shortcomings.

This type of scenery is exciting and has great potential.  It will simply take time to get better imagery and then correct and improve the process.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS