Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

MSFS - My Take

1 minute ago, nbhall68 said:

But the part that amazes me the most is that it's only been out for 1 month.  Are any of you old enough to remember P3D 1 month after release?  Or X-Plane 1 month after release?  Or how about FSX 1 month after release?  Apparently not

Yes and FS95 and previous. Are you old enough?

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

Yes and FS95 and previous. Are you old enough?

Yep, my first flight sim was subLOGIC 1.0 (yeah, even before Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0 ever existed).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hangar said:

I think what he's trying to say is that... other than the visuals, what makes it more life like than it's predecessors for you?

..and for him the answer is little or perhaps even nothing.

I'm going to have to admit that I have no idea what makes it more lifelike than the predecessors.  The visuals are the big difference so it must be that.  And it IS a lot more lifelike, more like being in an actual small airplane.  There is magic going on, and I can't put my finger on it.  I guess that's OK, you don't have to understand how the magic happens to appreciate it.

It's probably much different for airliners than for GA flying.  I spent some time at 11,000 feet (testing my service ceiling) and it wasn't nearly as impressive as down low.

Yes, there are terrain anomalies.  But except for occasional brown cities in the midst of greenish desert, I haven't seen a problem in two weeks of flying.  Back around Pittsburg there were mesh gaps and lots of elevated water, but the community is able to fix most of elevation problems.  Out near El Paso and Las Cruces you can see a lot of the brown terrain in greenish desert and it is quite jarring.  There are also a few small areas of slightly blurry terrain with no autogen in the middle of good terrain in the area.  Stuff you just gotta ignore, because 99+% of the world looks great.  I just flew over some desert that, while not spectacular, was gorgeous.

The amount of detail is just mind-boggling.  I was picking out every ranch along my last fight path.  Still missing radio towers, but I suspect that'll be fixed at some point.  The Mount Rushmore monument was missing, but the visitor center was there.  The Crazy Horse monument was just buildings (probably depicting the scaffolding there) but it was obvious where it was.  While you might find the occasional detail they get wrong, the skyvector.com charts have even more errors and I had no idea they were as low resolution as they are when I was using them in P3D.  In MSFS every chart error stands out.

And it's still magic.  And it's all just beginning.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 3

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

40 minutes ago, nbhall68 said:

Are any of you old enough to remember P3D 1 month after release?

Oh, they're old enough.  They just don't remember what it was like to be a beginner. 😄 I still remember my very first flight on the Apple II, and the joy and wonder we got from all the early flight simulators just from being able to fly.  Even if it was wire frame or filled polygons.  Look how far we've come.

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

There is magic going on, and I can't put my finger on it.  I guess that's OK, you don't have to understand how the magic happens to appreciate it.

I think it's the combination of modern rendering technologies underneath, that give the sim's appearance something more ineffably "real".  Especially the lighting, from things both big and obvious (like the staggering sunsets and whatnot everyone loves posting), to the unsung heavy lifters like the realistic atmospheric scattering, and the interaction of light with materials.

Even in cases where the terrain might not be anything particularly special in terms of ortho resolution/autogen, the lighting elevates the overall scene to something that looks and feels like you're flying in a real world.  A lot of it is simply the difference between a sim that has this stuff implemented in it's core, versus something that has had some of that functionality bolted on through add-ons and updates.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I still remember my very first flight on the Apple II, and the joy and wonder we got from all the early flight simulators just from being able to fly.  Even if it was wire frame or filled polygons.  Look how far we've come.

Indeed.  I still remember the 2 frames per second I was getting on my Apple IIc and I was mesmerized.  It's hard to even believe what I'm seeing now.  I've had a lot of "journeys" in my life...flight sims have been one of them.  And what a journey it's been.

• Like 1

Me and noobs have no interest in what has come before FS2020 and certainly not interested enough to install, learn, support, tweak and invest money into.  Old sim attrition will happen fast and furious but I'll admit that old timers will hang on tooth and nail for a while.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

9 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The only aspect that is "new" to MSFS is Photogrammetry ... everything else has been done before including streaming sat/aerial imagery (remember tile proxy?).

I disagree.  Blackshark.ai's depiction of buildings and trees on a global scale is impressive and that hasn't been done before (in my opinion).  It makes photo real scenery work better than ever.  I can buy $500 worth of MegaSceneryEarth for P3D (and happy to do so) but it doesn't work very well without Blackshark.ai.  And tile proxy was a total hack...didn't work very well in my experience.  If I have to hack ring 0 drivers and violate EULA's to make it work then yeah...I'm out.

Is 7 FPS on a high end system "forward thinking" or just bad optimization or an old graphics API (DX11)

This has not been my experience at all.  If you're only getting 7 FPS with MSFS 2020 then there is definitely something wrong.

There is no PDK or equivalent (and never will be) in MSFS SDK ... in P3D the PDK is how you can leverage performance.

"Never" is a long time.  Pretty bold statement.

I'd love to share what LM are working on for P3D, but sadly I can't.

And sadly, I can't get excited about something I don't know about.  I've never been a big fan of "I can't tell you but just you wait and see".  Having said that, when LM steps up...I'll be first in line with my credit card.  Can't wait to see it!  Sounds awesome.

Edited by nbhall68
expanded

I tell you wants "new" about MSFS you can go anywhere in the world like you have Orbx TE installed. But unlike P3D when you need a top class PC to run that, no, not only run it but then turn all shadow on, turn traffic on and even then you don't have wonderfully sloped runways. The clouds and weather look stunning like nothing Ive seen in P3D with AS/ASCA or REX. Add TE add AS add a cloud app, add as much as you like.

What's "new" is I just did a tour of Portugal and Spain that looked 10x better that both PR I had for it in P3D and there is no TE for both. Also I don't need TE because MSFS comes with every where done so well, sure you will nick pick and find fault but the other 80-90% is breathtaking all with no addons at all. No nothing. I did KSFO over the bridge and down the west cost, I was totally blown away again with nothing added to the sim. Also the weather and clouds are like nothing ive seen in P3D and they also run over the horizon. Try setting AS to cloud draw to 200 miles and see whats happen

Also what's "new" is I can enjoy this and these setting on a 6 year old PC. So belittling MSFS is, well odd and this sim is only 6 weeks old.

I get 50 FPS in most placer 35 in big cities.

So never in my 30 years have I enjoyed these views, so 6 weeks in how can anyway still keep trying to but this sim down. Am personally very grateful to have it and enjoy it every day.

2dt.png

My-Settings.png

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

7 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I tell you want "new" about MSFS you can go any where in the world like you have Orbx TE installed. But unlike P3D when you need a top class PC to run it, no, not only run it but turn all shadow on, turn traffic on and even then you don't have wonderfully sloped runways. Add TE add AS add a cloud app, add as but as you like.

Whats "new" is I just did a tour of Portugal and Spain that look 10x better that both PR I had for it in P3D and there is not TE for both. Also I don't need TE because MSFS comes with every where done so well, sure you will nickpick and find fault but the other 80-90% is breathtaking all with no addons at all. No nothing. I did KSFO other the bridge and down the west cost, I was totally blown away again with nothing added to the sim. Also the weather and clouds are like nothing ive seen in P3D and they also run over the horizon. Try setting AS to cloud draw to 200 miles and see whats happen

Also what "new" is I can enjoy this and these setting on a 6 year old PC. So to again belittle MSFS is, well odd to but it kindly. I get 50 FPS in most placer 35 in big citys.

So never in my 30 years have I enjoyed these views, so 6 weeks in how can anyway still keep trying to but this sim down.

2dt.png

My-Settings.png

Very nice pic David.

I am still waiting for an enhanced SDK for Prosim. And the issues that appeared with patch 2 are not very encouraging to buy MSFS at this time.

Airports for jetliners are being released but you cannot fly a jetliner from/too it.

And no Hotfix will be released for the missing sensivity settings.

Again I will continue flying P3Dv5 while keeping an eye on MSFS development.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Very nice pic David.

I am still waiting for an enhanced SDK for Prosim. And the issues that appeared with patch 2 are not very encouraging to buy MSFS at this time.

Airports for jetliners are being released but you cannot fly a jetliner from/too it.

And no Hotfix will be released for the missing sensivity settings.

Again I will continue flying P3Dv5 while keeping an eye on MSFS development.

Thank you.

The sim runs even better after the patch, smoother. I read there adding back in the curves.

Airliners I have not tried, pointless when you use to FSL/PMDG but frankly to learn and to be able to really fly VFR, know what height to fly, follow roads or look for towns and to take in the breathtaking scenery wherever i go, I am enjoying more than Addon airport to addon airport with the FSL, and you know how much I loved that. No this takes my breath away with every flight and every flight feels like a new adventure, it's also fun to plan where to go next and not be governed by what airports I have or scenery for that area I have. I can go anywhere and that at this point seems endless. 

I look forward to what 5.1 brings and will have a look but I have no urge to jump into P3D and fly my beloved FSL at all. Tonight I am planning on flying through the Yosemite National Park, cannot wait. Little moving map is amazing for VFR planning. I have no idea how long it will be to I feel the need to fly FSL again but P3D v5.1 will be the sim for it for the time being. MSFS need to work on the SDK but AS etc all say they are working hand in hand with them all to bring them what they need, what more to people want to hear than that. Airliners will come and that will be a wonderful day, until then am happy to explore the world in real VFR. 

As for Airliners, I tried the CCL and that thing is a rocket and wants FL38-FL40 and I really enjoyed it. Really enjoyed it, so when I want to fly high the CCL is the one I will use without question. 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 9/17/2020 at 12:24 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

That's a shame, much can learned from history ... us old timers made what you are doing now possible.

Cheers, Rob.

For years I tried to get my now 32 year old web designer son interested in flight sims but he always said that they were boring.  Now that FS2020 has come out he is finally interested and also in flying in general.  He is even looking at getting an RTX 3090.  Woe unto him and his wallet lol.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

@rob - feel free to interpret my posts anyway you want.

Regards

bs