Sign in to follow this  
Guest tango_d

New Nvidia drivers

Sorry but these drivers work fine for me and as for the incorrect memory speed, that is a bug noted in the release notes if anyone bothers to read them.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest tango_d

Hi Scott,Without the risk of sounding stupid, i'm using 77.77 for my 256mb 6800GT on both FS9 and FSX. Both run really well. In fact i'm more than happy with FSX performance.My question is....Are there any benefits for me to upgrade my drivers, being as my card is quite old in gfx card terms ? I heard that generally after a while of drivers, the newer versions don't / aren't written with older cards in mind...The age old addage comes to mind - 'if it ain't broke - don't fix it' but i don't want to miss out either so to speak....Thanks for your advice.RegardsEddyNorth Wales - UK

Eddy,Your exactly right. After time, espically with a 6800GT (AGP) im assuming, nvida will stop releasing updates for a card that isnt in production anymore. I had a LedTek 6800GT AGP and used a "8" series driver for it with FSX. Granite the performance was minimal compared to my 7950Gx2 but it still performed well. I could be wrong, but off the top of my head i believe the drivers i was using with my 6800Gt were the forceware 81.94 or 81.98's whql. Hope this helps, its' been awhile since i ran an AGP GPU. On another note, check your AGP aperature rate as well. There are a few articles here that explain where you want to set that rate based on your systems RAM.BTW.... these new drivers work GREAT on my system. No problems at all.Here are all the fixes with the drives, except for the clock frequencies:Resolved Issues for 32-bit Operating SystemsSingle-GPU Issues Resolved

Guest pomak249

I'm using Xtreme G-92.91's from www.tweaksrus.com for my BFG 6800 GS OC (AGP).EXCELLENT drivers !

Guest Toni Rauch

After correctly installing the new 93.71 drivers (using DC Pro etc.), I discovered a major problem.....I disabled Anti-Aliasing from within FSX and enabled it using the Nvidia driver controls (AA 4X option).The sim runs fine until you end a flight (or mission). Then, instead of returning to the 'options' screen (e.g. choose another free flight, mission etc), the screen goes black and everything 'hangs'. Only way forward from there is to reboot the computer!Restoring AA to the sim and resetting the driver to 'application controlled' solves the problem.Your results may vary, of course.Toni.(GeForce TI4400 graphics card)

Guest allcott

Yeah, there's something a bit odd with these drivers that seems to make FSX a bit flaky on my system too. Installed using the usual method of: uninstall old, run DC Pro, install new, remove display lines from the FSX. cfg to force the game to recognise the new card (not sure if this is still needed in FSX, but I do it anyway) then boot FSX. Reset display preferences from the settings menu, then select one of my previously-saved flights which function with the earlier 91.47 drivers (do my `soak testing` on this particular flight and had the game running smooth for 16 hours non-stop, so there is nothing wrong with the .flt file).Game loading screen gets to 75%, then black screen and CTD with a G3D.dll error message. Tracked the problem to the default.xml file but even replacing the (default) default.xml with a saved clean copy won't let the game boot. I have to make a change to the tree or building volume tweak in the FSX.cfg file before it will load. Then I can fly for around ten or fifteen minutes before the black screen/CTD/error message crops up again.Rolled back to the 91.47's and all is well again.Even with WHQL drivers, YMMV!Allcott

Guest Vilk

gentlemen, a tiny addition to this thread, perhaps it will help somebodyi was punching myself in the face continuously for switching to nvidia after years with ati, precisely because of the erratic driver upgrade/reinstall behaviour, until i discovered that due to unnecessarily restrictive permissions uninstallers and cleaners are unable to remove some nvidia settings from the registrynow if i want to play with a new driver i uninstall the old, run the cleaner, then right-click:HKLMSoftwareNVIDIA CorporationHKCUSoftwareNVIDIA CorporationHKCUSoftwareNVIDIA nvCpl Containergive myself full privileges and delete them before i install a new driver. never had a problem since. your mileage may vary, of coursecheersvilk

I am using the nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers from Guru 3D I tried the 91.47 from Nvidia but went back to the above with good results. Craig

Guest wyoming

which is best: settings app.-controlled or user-defined within the card. Assuming a good driver.

Guest allcott

>which is best: settings app.-controlled or user-defined>within the card. Assuming a good driver.Without being obtuse. Try both, use the one that works better.!Allcott

Guest tango_d

Hi Scott,Thanks to you and everyone for your answers. Perhaps i should've pointed out, my card is in fact on a PCI express slot.Does this make a huge difference, or am i technically outta date now for drivers....?Thanks once more - sorry to be a pain !!RegardsEd

App-controlled AA and AF is the only way that works for me with 91.47. I don't know how some of you are controlling yours in the driver. Please explain how you are doing it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (91.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest wyoming

what happens when you do both... (check AA and AF in FSX), app-controlled unchecked plus AA and AF set from within the driver. Haven't had the time yet. What I do know is that when AA and AF are unchecked in FSX, the result is terrible (shimmering, lousy textures etc...)<>Go to the driver tab, then to the Performance and Quality sub-menu, uncheck app-controlled and adjust as wanted.

Astrodave, Re: "you deserve what you get" (installing beta drivers). As I recall the folks that posted in this thread were asking for help and or advice. If you can't give either you should refrain from posting. Craig