Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

Solar Eclips 11-AUG-1999 not total

6 hours ago, Shack95 said:

back then we went to Stuttgart with school to see the eclipse and it was completely overcast.

I did the same. I had a friend who was from Stuttgart so we all packed our things and stayed the night before, only to have the sight be obscured by clouds half an hour before it actually happened.

But I think it was still worth it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mace said:

haha.  "To the second!"   I was in a total eclipse as well, about 4-5 years ago.  It was very strange, it getting dark and streetlights coming on at midday.

I drove up from South Florida with my son to visit my Daughter in Decatur AL, and we went up around Nashville area to get in the path of Totality.  It was awesome.  So surreal.  It was light, for most of the partial right up until the end, then it looked as if someone sucked all the color from the world, then darkness.  It was that weird colorless state right before totality that took me by surprise.  It was also cool to see that red band you normally get either east or west (pre sunrise or post sunset) 360 degrees right at totality.

• Like 1

Just now, wthomas33065 said:

I drove up from South Florida with my son to visit my Daughter in Decatur AL, and we went up around Nashville area to get in the path of Totality.  It was awesome.  So surreal.  It was light, for most of the partial right up until the end, then it looked as if someone sucked all the color from the world, then darkness.  It was that weird colorless state right before totality that took me by surprise.  It was also cool to see that red band you normally get either east or west (pre sunrise or post sunset) 360 degrees right at totality.

I'm not too far from Nashville.  Initially, when it got sort of dark I thought, "hm, that's neat" -- but I had no idea just how dark it would get.  I was truly surprised when it got dark as night.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

20200915192012_1.jpg

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

20200915192012_1.jpg

Nice,

But where and when was this taken?

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

13 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Thats a neat observation, they even paid attention to astronomical phenomena.  They need to model light pollution from cities better from the sounds of it. Hope its fixed in a future patch!

Yes, and smog as well. 

As with all the other simulators, the stars shine too brightly and some of them already appear too soon before sunset has finished even. When dark one can see a lot of faint stars normally invisible to the naked eye. The Andromeda galaxy however is missing, With these conditions you should be able to see a faint little cloud. but it's not there. 

But i am already happy that the moon's behavior and the positioning of the stars are OK. I expect to see Orion in a few months in Winter time.

It would just be nice to also see a bright shining Venus in the evening/morning when it is also there in real life.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

39 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

Nice,

But where and when was this taken?

One of the few Eclipses I looking at yesterday (see my previous posts in this thread).

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

It was cloudy on that day in 1999, so I never actually got to see the totally eclipsed Sun. However, the onset of darkness, that strange lack of colour in the surrounding landscape as totality approached, and the sight of the Moon's shadow right on top of me during totality (the horizon was light for a full 360 degrees) was easily one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I am keen to try and get to the 2024 March 8 total solar eclipse in the USA, or the August 2026 and August 2027 total eclipses that can be seen from Spain, because I want to see what some people have referred to as "the eye of God" at least once in my lifetime.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

46 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

However, the onset of darkness, that strange lack of colour in the surrounding landscape as totality approached, and the sight of the Moon's shadow right on top of me during totality (the horizon was light for a full 360 degrees) was easily one of the most amazing experiences of my life

Even if MSFS would get the offset corrected so that the eclipses were total i don't believe we would also get this effect you experienced in the sim. Unless the sim supports 'moonshadows' in addition to cloudshadows. In fact. Is the sun object in the sim even a real light source in the 3D rendering world casting shadows on earth objects? i doubt that.

I was in Arlons (Belgium) that 11th August and was lucky enough to experience a temporary gap in the clouds when it was needed, so my trip from the Netherlands to that spot was not wasted at all.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---

I do not expect Asobo to recreate all of the effects of totality in a flight simulator. I was just commenting on my real world experience.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That could actually be the case, the game engine (lighting) doesn't allow for a Moons Shadow, so to "hide" this the Sun is only ever Partially eclipsed even in Totality locations/times leaving enough sunlight on the ground as per a full sun (not even partial darkness).

Theory of course.

Hope you get to see one properly Chris.  Just surreal to see the sun get "sucked into a black hole" for brief period.  All of a sudden its very dark, but he outline of the moon visible again the solar corona.  Holding out for another one in Aus too!   🙂