Sign in to follow this  
Colonel

ATC And Flight Plans

Hi, Newbie to Xplane 11 and ex MSFS X user currently using An IMac with Catalina and have Orbx Southern UK scenery installed.  (That’s a story!!)

Just updated to 11.50 and using Metal the frame rate is vastly improved.  One complaint and some questions (I’m sure there will be more of both).  Why has my favourite local airport (Plymouth UK) had it’s ILS beacons removed? Boo Hoo.  I used to practice everything there!! I know the airport is now closed BTW.

Question: When I enter a Flight Plan with an Approach set up using say Vectors, I file it with ATC and also load a cruising altitude.  After climbing to cruising height I usually set autopilot and activate the first approach waypoint leg but ATC never accepts my flight plan but gives me headings to follow which are very different. OK, I guess they are using a particular flyway even though I’m selecting IFR low level as my route.  In addition although my plan gives an altitude to be observed for the waypoint as say 2,500 feet, ATC ignores that and continually  instructs me to climb and maintain my cruising altitude.  This means I cannot capture my ILS approach and then get berated for ignoring ATC instructions. I’m used to MSFS but realise things won’t be exactly the same, but I feel I’m not grasping the correct logic here. Can anyone advise me?

also, on the Cirrus SF 30, if I raise the speed to anything over 235 mph, the plane starts porpoising up and down with constant Trim adjustments. Again, is this a bug or me being dumb? Thanks

The SF30 autopilot becomes unstable above a certain speed. That's why it oscillates. Probably an issue due to poor choice of autopilot constants in plane-maker.

Can't help about ATC sorry, I don't use it. Hopefully someone else?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 minute ago, Murmur said:

The SF30 autopilot becomes unstable above a certain speed. That's why it oscillates. Probably an issue due to poor choice of autopilot constants in plane-maker.

Can't help about ATC sorry, I don't use it. Hopefully someone else?

Thanks for the response, I‘ll just keep the speed down to 230 then 

I've tried to use ATC for IFR flights, but became very frustrated with it. To your point, ATC did a lot of vectoring instead of allowing me to fly the filed flight plan. Additionally, every time I got near my destination airport, ATC vectored me all over the place instead of just vectoring me to final. When I added AI aircraft, ATC vectored AI aircraft on top of me, and on the ground ATC told AI aircraft to basically run me over.

So, there seems to be something definitely buggy with XP11.5 ATC.

• Like 1

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

29 minutes ago, Colonel said:

Exactly that! I wonder if anyone has reported it before?  Thanks for your response

Yes, default ATC is very much a beginner/familierise yourself tool only.

If point and click is your thing grab 124th ATC (free)

If you want more real life oriented (voice recognition, groundschool, no prompting - not quite finished IFR yet, but getting close) grab AutoATC (free and paid)

If you want decent "full experience" ATC, pilotedge is the next level up (very very payware)

(disclaimer - AutoATC author)

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

I suggest that you try the free add-on - 124thATC - it's much better than the default one.

8 minutes ago, Bulva said:

I suggest that you try the free add-on - 124thATC - it's much better than the default one.

I’ve seen reference to it on here. Do you know where it comes from, maybe a link or web link?

thanks for the info

14 hours ago, mSparks said:

If you want more real life oriented (voice recognition, groundschool, no prompting - not quite finished IFR yet, but getting close) grab AutoATC (free and paid)

If you want decent "full experience" ATC, pilotedge is the next level up (very very payware)

I'm used to MSFS's ATC which was at least logical and worked reasonably well.  I'm not looking for anything fancy so I'lll give your suggestions a look.  Thanks for the response.

21 hours ago, mSparks said:

Have now tried 124th ATC and seems to fit the bill admirably.  Will look at your other suggestions, thanks again.

12 hours ago, Colonel said:

Have now tried 124th ATC and seems to fit the bill admirably.  Will look at your other suggestions, thanks again.

It definitely comes highly rated, although I've not tried it recently myself and its been getting more loving recently. The second two fit slightly different bills (actually talking to ATC, which is a whole other level of hard, since all you get as a prompt is a button to push to talk and a dial to tune frequency, meanwhile you still have to fly the aircraft).

additionally AutoATC adds ai traffic also going through procedure from big jets to small ga and helicopters

AutoATC Developer

Another option is Pilot2ATC. It's payware but much more than atc. Check it out. I've been using it for a few years.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, flyer47 said:

Another option is Pilot2ATC. It's payware but much more than atc. Check it out. I've been using it for a few years.

Unfortunately it’s a Windows product not OIS-X for iMac:(