Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Inflight ep. 25: Jorg and Seb from Asobo

2 hours ago, Wobbie said:

LOL, Jan, in a game, it does not matter at all..

So much for realism 😄

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

So much for realism 😄

Realism in a game?( Like flying a Cessna with a joystick?)

Immersion scores more points & is more valid.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 minute ago, Wobbie said:

A rare occasion where I have to agree with you. 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

9 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

It was a joke.  

I like the interview a lot because of what the two devs are talking about. For instance implementing a way to code in C++ for MSFS without resorting to C++ native (apparently thats what many FS devs were using) because of security concerns and interoperability issues. I did not know that prior to this interview. 

However, I did not like the interviewer: He is constantly reaffirming what the devs were telling anyway without being on the same knowledge level as they are. Instead of simply asking those questions which float around in the community anyway, he tries to get buddy-buddy with Jörg and Seb. For instance, I would have like to hear a question about the remarkably short beta period, the poor initial Steam reviews, etc. Apparently he is afraid of coming across as too negative, when, as an interviewer, you can just pass along questions. Your own opinions (positive/negative) shouldn't matter.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MagentaChild said:

For instance, I would have like to hear a question about the remarkably short beta period, the poor initial Steam reviews, et

To be fair, as the external game developer and Program Manager they probably had little say over the short period to market.  I guess if you asked them for their personal opinions, they would have preferred more time to fix what was obviously flawed and less flack from the users. Pinning them against the wall would have achieved little.    It may also be a condition of granting the interview that certain topics are not covered.  But I do agree with you that interviewers in the flightsim world often times miss the obvious questions.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, MagentaChild said:

the poor initial Steam reviews

Well, that happens all too often. Typical release aches. They have already shift to mostly positive.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

He wouldn’t have had the interview in the first place if he was that type of interviewer!! @MagentaChild but I agree would love to see hard questions asked. 

on a separate note, I really enjoy listening to Jorg, he’s exactly what we need from a passion standpoint even though I have a lot of fundamental issues with how this sim was released. 

Edited by UAL4life

Maybe it's just an advertorial.. advertising the sim, not criticizing it, obviously no hard questions.

A marketing exercise placating the early adopters?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

50 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

A marketing exercise placating the early adopters?

Seems to me it was just a podcast with a flightsim podcast guy asking two other guys some questions about themselves and the new flightsim they've made.

Pretty simple and straightforward actually. Some questions were asked, and they were answered.

Marketing ploys usually feel pretty scripted, which this podcast didn't.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UAL4life said:

He wouldn’t have had the interview in the first place if he was that type of interviewer!! @MagentaChild but I agree would love to see hard questions asked. 

on a separate note, I really enjoy listening to Jorg, he’s exactly what we need from a passion standpoint even though I have a lot of fundamental issues with how this sim was released. 

MS and Asobo seem confident and self-critical enough to allow for different type of questions. I doubt they make any restrictions on what type of questions may be asked. The interviewer obviously is not a trained journalist and thus lacks the experience and self-confidence to ask more serious and possibly challenging questions. 

19 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Great interview. I particularly like what they said about the world updates (from 1:04:14).

We [MSFS and the Bing Maps team] are currently in touch with almost every government, because the governments oftentimes have great data for their countries. We’re trying to get better DEM, obviously we’ll get better aerials because we have contracts with satellite providers and aerial providers. We send each other pictures like “here’s the current sim we just shipped, and here’s what we can update whenever we’re ready to do that particular world update and holy s***, in some cases it’s a generation ahead. It really is that amazing. Oftentimes our hight field is 5m or 10 m resolution. There’s some data coming in right now it’s 25 centimetres. It is crazy, it looks crazy. The nice thing is we’re gonna be able to give this away for free, the world updates are free.

Great to hear that they’re reaching out to governments as many provide excellent mesh and imagery for free.

As a MSFT to Xplane back to MSFS convert....I have to say, this is why Xplane will never be able to compete with MSFT as far as visuals...deep pockets and connections make all the difference. Xplane can do some great things but with this level of connection/money, its hard to compete visually. 

• Like 1