Sign in to follow this  
jackdleach

Taxiway Accuracy

Hi - in my setup, I'm using ForeFlight on the iPad and streaming sim's GPS data to it.  Works great.  Except... most airports I've been in don't seem to have taxiways laid out correctly in the sim, and while they're sometimes close "physically", the names are way off.  E.g., Bravo might be on the south side in the Sim, but it's actually on the North side in real/on ForeFlight.

This is a bit of a letdown as I was really hoping to practice ground ops situational awareness with ForeFlight.  Further, there seems to be no way to find a taxiway diagram for the sim: all I can do is look at signs (which I guess is a good old-school way to do things, if my plate flew out the window on the flight there maybe, but not what I had in mind).

Is this a known issue (or has it never been expected and I was just blindly wishfully thinking)?  Is there some data I can upload to "fix" it?  Is there some way I can view a taxiway diagram the sim provides, in a worst case scenario?

Thanks

It's a known issue.  They had to rely on AI to make these taxiways based on computer interpretation of aerial imagery.  I call this a big problem.  Payware airports won't have this problem.  But it pretty much makes vatsim flying a major challenge.  

• Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Thanks for the confirmation.  Odd though, at least in the US, couldn't they have gotten digital (and marked!) images from the FAA?  Maybe there's some license/usage issue with getting it directly from there, but geez, they're way easier to interpret than aerial images, and it has all the info: https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/diagrams/

Anyway.. wish in one hand...

By chance, do other sims have the same issue? (I'm thinking of perhaps firing up XP-11 as I hear the flight model is slightly more realistic there)

3 hours ago, ripthejacker99 said:

Why didn't they use the runway and taxiway info from fsx?......

probably because it would have subtle conflicts with the bing generated scenery

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 hours ago, ripthejacker99 said:

It was a public service for the AVSIM membership, so that we would all have something to moan and whinge about :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

20 hours ago, micstatic said:

It's a known issue.  They had to rely on AI to make these taxiways based on computer interpretation of aerial imagery.  I call this a big problem.  Payware airports won't have this problem.  But it pretty much makes vatsim flying a major challenge.  

yes it does stink having them named wrong but vatsim/pilotedge I dont see much of an issue. As long as I know where im at on the airport, I can follow taxi instructions by the AFD rather than by the signs. I dont even look at the signs really. 

5 hours ago, ripthejacker99 said:

Because, as we've seen, the primary focus of MSFS was to make it pretty, not accurate.

• Like 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Even though I don't use in game ATC, having wrongly named taxiways is REDICULOUS!  We b*tched about this in alpha.  They went backwards with technology.  There's still plenty of airports without towers as well.  

Ugh!

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, Ilari Kousa said:

They probably thought it wasn't worth licensing the Jepp DB again, as most discerning users would resort to custom scenery anyway.

You can't say they're going to have 40,000 airports, then also say people should replace them all with custom ones.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]