Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Caravaning past KMIA

Left from one of the coolest airports in South Fla 07FA, up to KORL....tipping my wings at KMIA as I pass by.

uKHY6F.jpg

Loving the clouds....so much better, volumetric, low FPS hit than P3D ever was.  Flying in and out of them is just gorgeous.

k39Rp5.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Any chance you're going to caravan past KPBI or F45?  If so,  I'll give you a virtual wave 👋 

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

1 hour ago, Richard Sennett said:

Thats a pretty sweet repaint - yours ? great shots

It is Richard....still a lot to learn with the new format.  Just wish we at least had a good parts location map for the default GA craft...I'd like to do some more personalization and tweaking.

1 hour ago, vp49p3 said:

Any chance you're going to caravan past KPBI or F45?

Didn't fly past those airports....but have flown over NAS Jax in a previous flight (It's just ok in MSFS...needs work as I remember it in the 80's-90's) Spent most of my career there on the Seawall and finally with NAMTRAGRUDET across the street from the VP hangars where you hung out. 😉

KAVjj6.jpg

FYI for those not well versed in Naval Acronyms: NamTraGruDet - Naval Air Maintenance Training Group Detachment. Of course I worked for CNATechTra (pronounced Ka'-net-tra) -- Chief of Naval Air Technical Training... Also in my career I worked at HelAntiSubRonOne - Helicopter Antisubmarine Squadron One, and worked under the ComMidEastFor - Commander, Middle East Forces, and ComSixFleet - Commander, Sixth Fleet (Admiral Kelso at the time). Hehe....lots'a syllables. 🙂

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

13 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

It is Richard....still a lot to learn with the new format.  Just wish we at least had a good parts location map for the default GA craft...I'd like to do some more personalization and tweaking.

Didn't fly past those airports....but have flown over NAS Jax in a previous flight (It's just ok in MSFS...needs work as I remember it in the 80's-90's) Spent most of my career there on the Seawall and finally with NAMTRAGRUDET across the street from the VP hangars where you hung out. 😉

🙂

Bravo Zulu Steve-o!!  Whoops, ANOTHER Navy acronym 😎

Chris Sunseri

***Amazing***

• Like 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

33 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Well thats awesome - new it was your work let me know if you ever share it 🙂 stunning paint as usual 

Rich Sennett

7 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Well thats awesome - new it was your work let me know if you ever share it 🙂 stunning paint as usual 

I'd like to say I slaved hours on the paint....figuring out all sorts of things....but in reality, when just throwing paint on what was given us so far (at least I can't find any good parts layout for the Caravan or 172)...so from this....

Crm3oF.jpg

to what you see in the sim. 🙂   The wings, the same....I just threw a tan color on it and viola'. 🤣

I got some splash on areas I didnt want, and partial coverage in some areas...so I wouldn't call this a paintjob, more like a flood-fill job playing around experiment. (But I must admit I do kinda' like it). You should try it. 🙂

I did it on the default paint (not really recommended but I made a backup of course).  Trying to fiddle with the mega-pack paints for the Caravan only gets you the fuse...no wing map in them.  If you try to add the wing map without doing all the json and manifest and xml stuff I don't know how to do yet, you lose all your Caravan paints in that mega-pack. 😉

Hope I find some inspiration to get some paints out there...been seriously lacking any motivation to pick up the brush when I'm enjoying flights in the sim, going to every place I've been to in the real world.

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

48 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Highly interested in your workflow and what source files you used.  I am interested in changing one color on one aircraft and changing the color of a tail number.  Just have not broken through the front side of the learning curve.  I did this regularly with FSX models.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

16 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Highly interested in your workflow and what source files you used.  I am interested in changing one color on one aircraft and changing the color of a tail number.  Just have not broken through the front side of the learning curve.  I did this regularly with FSX models.

Hey Frank....

The tail numbers as they pertain to when you type them in in the ATC section when you pick your aircraft in the sim front end...have a play with these and see how it works:
629ceA.jpg

Hope you know the HTML color codes....if not a few basics are 

• Black - 000000
  • White - ffffff
  • Red - ff0000
  • Blue - 0220ff

Of course there are millions of permentations of those colors....;)

If you are looking to paint the reg on the plane....you'd need to blank out the default one on the decal map for it...a little more involved. (If you leave it blank in the sim it drops in Asobo's default call sign, so that wont work....maybe just a space in there?  Dunno.)

Make a backup of ANYTHING you play with (goes without saying....but I said it anyway) 🙂

May want to Google the arc_id_color and font settings too....not too worried about the color, but the font may be tricky....I'd imagine it'd have to be at least a font on your system, and maybe only ones that come with Windows.  Armillio for example is what I used alot for military markings...but may not work in that field.

Edited by Steve Dra
more info

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

56 minutes ago, pinlifter said:

Bravo Zulu Steve-o!!  Whoops, ANOTHER Navy acronym 😎

Hehe.....actually won a few BZ awards when I was in.  Got a NAM too (not a big deal) but NAVPERS lost it in the freaking paperwork shuffle that is part of discharge back in those days.  Will never forget sitting in the NAVPERS office the day I went reserve, listing to PNs yelling in the cubeless office, "Printing DD214 to printer 1"....which I gather meant that nobody was to print out anything to that printer until it was done and they yelled "Printer 1 clear".  Was such a fine-tuned system in the days of green CRTs, WordPerfect, and dot matrix printers (that Airlines still use to get weather for the pilots at the gate desk...you've seen it!) 😉

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi speed sailor!!! We had the phosphorus green monitors and dot matrix printers on the railroad up until about 8-9 years ago.

Printer 1...cleared hot🤣

Chris Sunseri

56 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I'd like to say I slaved hours on the paint....figuring out all sorts of things....but in reality, when just throwing paint on what was given us so far (at least I can't find any good parts layout for the Caravan or 172)...so from this....

I think my painting days are over just dont have time anymore - times flying but you knew that Steve 🙂 amazing paint Sir - luv the colors

Rich Sennett

Loving the paint...

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

11 minutes ago, crosswind said:

Loving the paint...

Thanks....but I think it'd look better on a Dash Eight. 😉😉

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg