Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Airports in Canada

Guest ez2bjojo

I still have not bought FSX. Can anyone tell what airports in Canada have been updated and what the British Columbia mountain and coastal scenery areas especially Victoria, Vancouver and Nanaimo areas look like. If anyone who owns FSX lives in those areas can report if it is similiar, thanks.

Vancouver airport is done in detail. And Downtown looks very nice.I cannot comment on the terrain because I have UTCanada installed and ported from FS9 which is really cool, so I am not looking at default terrain.Toronto is also detailed airport, but thats it.There is a problem with the Rockies texture, making sandy hilltops with melting ice-cream textures for snow, etc,,, but some guys here have some sort of fix for that but it is time consuming. It is resolved with UTCanada so I rarely see this messy texture choice.al

Guest Gordius

Vancouver is my virtual home and I can assure you that the new defauly YVR is first class. IMHO one of the best detailed airports MS have turned out although I am a bit biased.Scenery in the BC area is OK but the ground texture problem is a pain. In some parts of BC textures make it look like desert scrub which is a shame (tends to be mostly around the valley floors). From my testing it is largely down to the fact that although they are using the correct texture it only seems to look OK on the flat. Don't let that stop you buying FSX though it is a fairly small matter that willsoon be resolved I am sure. Textures aside BC is a far better in FSX.Toronto Airport is excellent too, MS have done themselves proud there. The surrounding area is pretty good too.Yukon area, same as BC.Andrew Brown192029.png

Unfortunately most of the rivers are dry in Canada.Some coastlines look pretty funky, an FS98 look to them. Seems MS didn't pay for all of the Navteq data.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Hi there,actually, you can check for yourself with http://local.live.com . It uses Navteq data for its road and water maps and the FSX landscape files are a very close match, at least as far as detail and accuracy of water bodies are concerned.For example, where the Fraser River in FSX inexplicably ends at Agassiz the same thing is visible at Windows Live.Cheers, Holger