Sign in to follow this  
hedbonker

Basic navigation tutorial?

The sim I am using is FS2020.  I really want to learn how to navigate from point a to point b.  I can land and take off just fine.  There are two GA airports near me but I have never actually been to them.  They are about 10 miles from each other.  Santa Paula (KSZP) and Camarillo (KCMA).  I fly the Cessna 172 G1000 in the sim generally.  

If I create a flight plan from KSZP to KCMA, the flight plan details basically show an ascent to a certain altitude, then proceed on a given heading for a specific distance and then a descent but this does not really help me too much as I do not have details about how to approach the destination's runway etc. so I tend to fly right past it. Since I don't really know what these places look like visually I just know when I have flown too far, pause the sim and have a look about with the showcase drone.  I typically find it at that point and see that I have passed it up.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that illustrates how to do this kind of thing for a new virtual pilot?  Does not have to be specific to FS2020 obviously but one that uses the G1000 would be ideal.

Thanks!

Look up P Gatcomb on youtube he has some good videos for beginners such as yourself.

Edited by sgreen91
  • Like 2

Sean Green

It depends on what kind of flight you are making, either VFR or IFR, and then it also depends on whether the airport you are arriving at is controlled or uncontrolled. An IFR flight is one where you will typically be under ATC control and so they will vector you for an approach, but in the flight planner in the sim you can choose an IFR plan and choose exactly what kind of approach you want and then the sim's ATC will give you that approach and direct you to it, and you will also see the track for it on your avionics if you are flying with some kind of GPS-equipped aeroplane. so in that case the problem solves itself since it's there on your avionics and ATC are steering you for that too.

On a VFR flight, it's up to you to steer and so when you contact ATC at the airport, they will probably tell you to join the pattern, or at an uncontrolled airfield you will announce on the airfield frequency that you are joining the pattern. Either way, you need to get into the circuit and make an approach and I am assuming this is what has you puzzled. So... 

Here's a drawing of what you typically would do. This varies around the world, but the gist of it is on this drawing. This is sometimes called a 'teardrop entry' because you make your descending turn and basically draw a teardrop shape in the sky with your aeroplane in the descending turn. The important thing is to announce your position and intention and to look out for other aeroplanes. At some airfields, you might fly straight into the crosswind leg and join the circuit that way, but the way shown on the drawing is probably what most places will expect you to do, either way, make sure you have every light your aeroplane has on it, lit up:

aD2t8iW.jpg

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here