Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Change waypoint order in flight plan?

I wonder if I am really doing something dumb or have missed a very simple and important instruction or note.  This seems like such an important problem, yet I find no mention of it. 

The general problem is than flight planner adds waypoints in a ridiculous fashion as I built the flight path rather than in the order I click on the fix on the map and then ADD.  I seem to have no control over the order in which flight planner builds/places fixes in the flight plan.  Here is a specific example:

I build a flight plan that is a one hour circle in the C 172 taking off on KPGD Rwy 33 and landing on KPGD Rwy 4 ILS.  Here are the GPS fixes for the flight in the desired flight order:

VICHY (on Rwy 33 heading at 3 NM) CEXAN GURPE THMPR ZEGIS SEPIG (IAF for ILS Rwy 4)

I then add ISOXE, which is the fix for the MDA on the ILS.  

Flight Planner inserts ISOXE as the FIRST way point after take off from RWY 33 while I want it to be the LAST fix in the flight path prior to landing on Rwy 4.

HOW do I move ISOXE to the proper place in the way point list, which makes up the flight plan?  I want to make the corrections to the waypoint order in the flight planner, before I "TAKE FLIGHT."

An even dumber flight plan with  Departure on Rwy 4 KPGD and an Arrival on the same Rwy 4 was created by flight planner with waypoints in this order:

CEXAN ISOXE SEPIG  THMPR GURPE ZEGIS SEPIG - there are several turns of more than 180° in this strange plan

This is the order in which I added them and was the order in which I wanted to fly them.  

CEXAN GURPE THMPR ZEGIS SEPIG ISOXE

Is it possible to rearrange a flight plan or to somehow control the order in which flight planner inserts fixes?  I am not trying to make these changes from the cockpit but am doing in the flight planning stage at the Welcome Menu.

Edited by TacomaSailor
Clarification of when I want to make changes

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Here two images of the good

GoodPlan.png

and bad plan:

BadPlan.png

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

I wish I knew the answer. It ought to be possible firstly to to have the waypoints ordered in the sequence you added them, and then to be able to drag them to a different order as required.

I end up having to delete waypoints and fly to those ones manually - particularly annoying if you're performing a FD/AP flight.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Another example of the changing sequence of fixes as I add waypoints.  I was trying to fly from KSEE - east on the rwy heading then circle around to the NW and out to the IAF for KSAN ILS 9 - but flight planner just will not allow that.  The four screen shots are in the order I added the waypoints:

KSEE_1.pngKSEE_2.png

KSEE_3.png

KSEE_4.png

Try adding waypoints in reverse order; that is, adding backwards from the destination.

• Like 1

Darryl Wightman, Georgetown ON

PMDG 777 FSX Order 238685

PMDG 777 P3D Order 305276

1 hour ago, TacomaSailor said:

but am doing in the flight planning stage at the Welcome Menu.

Perhaps time to think outside the box (MSFS).

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/584350-question-about-flight-plans/?tab=comments#comment-4342908

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, canuck21a said:

Try adding waypoints in reverse order; that is, adding backwards from the destination.

Same thing happens eventually.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

That's all very well as a workaround, or if you like using 3rd party applications, but this is something that really should work properly inside the box.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I've had the same experience building flight plans in MSFS20. Creating flight plans definitely needs some additional TLC from MS/Asobo.

This, the flaky GPS / FMS, and the 10 degree VOR adjustments (because I use a Honeycomb Yoke apparently) make IFR flying very frustrating. I guess I just need to be patient until these bugs are addressed.

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

I have the same yoke. I've found that if I use the mouse wheel the bug will move in 10 degree increments, but if I hold the left button down, it will move 1 degree at a time.

canuck21a, thanks for the heads up on your recommendation.

Works perfect for setting up an initial  flight plan, didn't try changing waypoints.

Looks like in order to change a waypoint we have to go back to the beginning of the flight plan and change from there.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

2 hours ago, N9718 said:

I've had the same experience building flight plans in MSFS20. Creating flight plans definitely needs some additional TLC from MS/Asobo.

This, the flaky GPS / FMS, and the 10 degree VOR adjustments (because I use a Honeycomb Yoke apparently) make IFR flying very frustrating. I guess I just need to be patient until these bugs are addressed.

And we are yet another day closer....  To.......  Wow.  Just how close are we other than another day closer????  Are there still testers?  Alpha. Beta. Is it now Charlie?  
I hope it is Delta, because Delta is an acronym for change... 

Charlie?  I am a US veteran and ......

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Looks like if you click on one of the flight path lines on the map, it will highlight that leg. it should then add the new selected waypoint either before or after the leg you had highlighted.

• Like 1