Sign in to follow this  
ParaMan

REX WEATHER FORCE For MSFS

Microsoft uses much more precise data than METARS. Can‘t see how this would be an improvement once the built-in weather engine is fixed. In the past, REX has basically just sold bitmaps with all their products. Don‘t see what they can bring to the table in MSFS. 

• Like 12

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

13 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Microsoft uses much more precise data than METARS. Can‘t see how this would be an improvement once the built-in weather engine is fixed. In the past, REX has basically just sold bitmaps with all their products. Don‘t see what they can bring to the table in MSFS. 

Metar's is about as accurate as you can get.  It is reported data directly from a human or an automated station.  The simulator uses model data. This would be data generated from computer models and though you may have some accurate points, there are often misses.  Don't get me wrong the sim is AMAZING.  But we felt the weather engine could be greatly improved.  Plus our plan is to integrate archived weather after the initial release.

Edited by rstough
  • Like 13

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I've been drawn in too many times with their marketing.

Look forward to the reviews when it's released but I'll definately not be an early adopter.

Stu

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Once Asobo fix the weather issues and improve upon it in the future then i don't really see the need for a separate App, especially if that app charges X amount a month or one off payment. Each to their own of course and I'll keep an eye on it, but not overly fussed.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 6

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

22 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

A cut of the profits for MS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I am also not that convinced to be honest. There are issues with current weather, yes. But those mostly seems to be either problems with the server or the fact that the rendered weather is 30 minutes-1 hour behind real time.

If you check their comparison screenshots too, well, some are done at different angles, some are in the air and the other on the ground with buildings covering etc etc etc

The dynamic themes is another thing i am not interested in, since i basically only use real weather per se..

Right now i don't think i am interested in weather related addons.

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

First: I really don't see any advantages. I am wondering, how metar data can be better than meteorblue model that has complex parameters that fed into the model? Sure sometimes can be inconsistent but I think Asobo is aware of this and they have promised to fix some of the shortcomings. 

Second: one thing I sm super happy about MSFS that I don't need to start 4 applications before I have to start the sim, now you are telling me we are back to this? 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

This sounds all too familiar, remember the people that said they won’t need to buy another add on again. All I would say is let’s wait and see what they bring to the table.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

First: I really don't see any advantages. I am wondering, how metar data can be better than meteorblue model that has complex parameters that fed into the model? Sure sometimes can be inconsistent but I think Asobo is aware of this and they have promised to fix some of the shortcomings. 

Second: one thing I sm super happy about MSFS that I don't need to start 4 applications before I have to start the sim, now you are telling me we are back to this? 

We hope they do fix it so it is no skin off our back.  We built WF because we saw that there was definitely some issues.  In addition, we also wanted to provide archive as well as custom dynamic weather scenarios.

I believe that what Asobo has done is amazing, but there is definitely a difference between metar and model data.  Model data is based upon a grid which covers the world.  Most global models cannot get to that level.  There are some local models that can, but again they are at best forecasts.  Metar is real data reported from an observer.  So WF is built from metar data.  If  it says a thunderstorm you will get a thunderstorm.

Edited by rstough
  • Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

2 minutes ago, rstough said:

We hope they do fix it so it is no skin off our back.  We built WF because we saw that there was definitely some issues.  In addition, we also wanted to provide archive as well as custom dynamic weather scenarios.

I believe that what Asobo has done is amazing, but there is definitely a difference between metar and model data.  Model data is based upon a grid which covers the world.  Most global models cannot get to that level.  There are some local models that can, but again they are at best forecasts.  Metar is real data reported from an observer.  So WF is built from metar data.  If  it says a thunderstorm you will get a thunderstorm.

Reed is correct on this.

• Like 3

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Well, if MSF natively won't give us weather that matches metar data, then I certainly will purchase an addon with an engine that will give me that. It is imperative that the rendition of the weather must not be taken away from, though. I dont wan the visual fidelity to take a back seat with WF. 

The uses of such an addon is of course related to flying online and being able to check the factual weather before arriving in to it. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

13 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Well, if MSF natively won't give us weather that matches metar data, then I certainly will purchase an addon with an engine that will give me that. It is imperative that the rendition of the weather must not be taken away from, though. I dont wan the visual fidelity to take a back seat with WF. 

The uses of such an addon is of course related to flying online and being able to check the factual weather before arriving in to it. 

All I can say, once I got the Alpha that was the first thing I checked.  That is when WF was born.

Edited by rstough
  • Like 5

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

If Weather Force brings accurate weather, cirrus and other missing cloud types. Plus low visibility & fog conditions for IFR.
It is an instant buy.

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Perhaps I didn't understand the Meteoblue Partnership Series video. It was clear from that, that Meteoblue uses observation data. Period. It starts with observation data (which is relatively sparse and will be no better or worse than what REX can get their hands on) but then realistically models the weather in locations where there isn't data, including upper atmosphere conditions. They also make forecasts for days ahead (which I expect has nothing to do with MFS).

Unless REX has access to proprietary source weather data, I can't see them having anything more accurate than Meteoblue, and absolutely nothing to rival the granularity and accuracy of the predictions where there isn't actual data (unless REX has a big data supercomputer cluster it's not telling us about).

What's not known is just how frequently the Meteoblue data is updated and how well it smooths from one set of data to another. That's possibly something that REX might have an advantage with. But so far it's been hard to evaluate because the system is obviously partly broken. My suspicion is that it's the data feeding aspect that's broken (hence 255/3), not the actual weather system itself. That might be down to the MS cloud system that the data most likely has to pass through and so nothing to do with Meteoblue. Hopefully we'll see it in full action once the next patch comes out.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6