Sign in to follow this  
ParaMan

REX WEATHER FORCE For MSFS

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Finding myself surprisingly skeptical about this, having been a big fan of REX in my FSX days. 

Is metar really a better solution for lower level bush / GA flying away from small / rural airports? Also will it interfere with MSFS’ local airflow around buildings and topography?

Happy to be proved wrong, but see no real reason to be excited about this yet.

It is not METAR or not METAR discussion on this product. The product has other feaures as smoothing and automation.

• Like 1

Federico Sucari

I think I need to see what fixes Asobo implements for weather depiction in the next few updates before deciding if I need a third party weather engine.  

It seems like the best case scenario would be blending the best of both worlds: weather at airports that is reasonably accurate to current METARS and the global weather generated by models to fill in everything away from airports.  Maybe that’s Asobo’s goal?  

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Will this program be just injection product or is there graphical improvements also ? 

Rich Sennett

4 hours ago, Sticky said:

<sigh>...message board arguments. Here we go back and forth with little jabs about each other’s intelligence....ok I’m bored, guess I’ll play along...

the lack of METARs is not a bug, you agreed with that. Since it is not a bug, and since MSFS clearly chose not to implement METARs long ago....REX is not a STOPGAP between anything.

good grief....

How do you know that METAR isn't being taken in to account at all?

If you go to https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather-maps you can view the METAR data meteoblue has. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, L3m0n said:

How do you know that METAR isn't being taken in to account at all?

If you go to https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather-maps you can view the METAR data meteoblue has. 

Asobo said in the prerelease Q&A they'll look into adding a hybrid METAR system for the weather, that makes it sound like they're not using METAR already.

Edited by Tuskin38

REX is a cloud drawer not a wearher engine. Rex has a build-in wearher engine but never was reliable for me. Active Sky is a pure blooded weather engine. In the past we used REX to draw the clouds given by Active Sky data. Just wait a while. Don’t forget it’s as expensive as the sim itself at minimum and a year later a new version with another expensive name like “Super Ultra 3D Shock” at full price and six months further another Extreme better ultra...

Edited by Smoky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Just now, Smoky said:

REX is a cloud drawer not a wearher engine. Active Sky is a pure blooded weather engine. In the past we used REX to draw the clouds given by Active Sky. Just wait a while.

Um, no. They certainly do have a weather engine. You may not like it over HiFi, and that’s fine, but you’re wrong. Actually you’re wrong twice....there is no mention of the MSFS version being a cloud drawer either...

8 hours ago, rstough said:

Human observation is better than model's.  Models rely upon the observation to make their forecasts.  Metar data is the foundation, but model data cannot replace it.  The best computer models cannot replace the metar report.

What about areas where METAR's are sparse? As an example, if you look at South Africa - there are massive areas in the middle of the country with no METAR data nearby, since it's not near any large airport. This is where model data shines. In these areas, Asobo's depiction of the weather is surprisingly accurate. Would you be doing a blend of METAR and model data, or how do you plan on interpolating?

Edited by aktorsyl

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

6 minutes ago, Sticky said:

Um, no. They certainly do have a weather engine. You may not like it over HiFi, and that’s fine, but you’re wrong. Actually you’re wrong twice....there is no mention of the MSFS version being a cloud drawer either...

I specified my post. 

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

Well, Meteoblue devides the earth into 250 Million (250.000.000) 'weather squares' with accurate weather models compared to 20 000 Metar stations around the world (including 7 000 ships, 100 moored and 1 000 drifting buoys, hundreds of weather radars and 3 000).

That means Meteoblue's weather grid is 12.500 times more defined than just simply using Metar data.

Meteoblue includes Metar data in their models as outlined in the partnership series.

I can not see the REX's model can be more accurate. Weather is not only around a metar stations. 5 miles or even 2 km away weather can be totally different, especially in mountainous regions.

All logic and commons sense tells me that this product must be inferior to the default MSFS weather system, once the bugs are squished.

• Like 2

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

6 minutes ago, Silicus said:

I can not see the REX's model can be more accurate. Weather is not only around a metar stations. 5 miles or even 2 km away weather can be totally different, especially in mountainous regions.

They're calling it a stopgap system, so I assume outside of METAR range you'll still have the base game 'live' weather.

Edited by Tuskin38

I've also been a REX customer.  Always loved their stuff, but in this case, I think this should be on ASOBO to fix. 

Accurate METARs (any weather reporting station) should be the responsibility of the core sim. 

I would hope they would know how to blend current weather with forecast models.  I understand why they would use models for some situations, but you still need the actual weather at the airport along with winds and temps aloft, etc..  

This isn't a case of either or. You need both.  

As far as developing a weather add-on at this stage without the required parameters in the SDK or otherwise?...that's like all these people trying to bench mark the sim while it's still broke.  Worthless.  People know that fixes and optimizations are coming but yet they are still trying to reach conclusions.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

By the way: Meteoblue is a professional weather service company. They provide all kinds of professional services around weather. That‘s their core business. You really think a 2 or 3 person FS developer can provide better weather data then these guys? Come on...

Don‘t get me wrong. REX had its place in the old sims and they did some pretty decent add-ons. But this is David against Goliath here...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

7 minutes ago, Silicus said:

All logic and commons sense tells me that this product must be inferior to the default MSFS weather system, once the bugs are squished.

"if the bugs are squished"

• Like 1

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad