Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Thoughts on CPU upgrade, it's depressing.

Regardless what you do I will buy your 4790K processor for $100 if you are interested. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Forget Intel, they're in the backburner now. New AMD Ryzen ZEN3 cores are soon to arrive and THOSE will be the CPUs to go for.

• Upvote 2

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

So I am running the good ol' 4790K, clocked at 4.6Ghz. The new 10700K seems to be the ideal CPU for MSFS (the 10900K has more cores, but MSFS doesn't utilize them).

I've been looking at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html for single core performance, the single most important factor in flight simulation. 

4790K @ 4.0 = 2.47 Performance points.

10700K @ 3.8 = 3.08 Performance points.

That's a performance increase by 25% (not considering my overclock, or the 10700K's turbo speeds up to 5+Ghz), or in other words, if you get 25FPS at a situation in MSFS, the new CPU would run that with 31FPS. While that represents just the increase you need to kill the dips below 30FPS (I lock at 30FPS), and additionally will tackle the stutters caused by core overload, it's still, by all means NOT MUCH, considering the 6 years between the CPU's, and the roughly 700-900 bucks needed for the CPU, Mobo and RAM.

Seeing that I am basically locked at 30, and I only get dips at, say, LAX in "bad positions" (such as 07L looking at the entire airport with traffic) to maybe 27, I really wonder if it's worth the spending (and work). Am I missing something here? Will the increase be larger because the 10700K will run at turbo speeds (probably). Sure, once we get more complex add-ons, dips will increase, but overall, it's kind of depressing that even the fastest CPU can't lift your performance more than a mere 25%.

I gained about 15 FPS in P3d moving from a 4790k to an 8700k at the same OC... The main reason is moving from DDR3 to DDR4

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

4 hours ago, Colonel X said:

So I am running the good ol' 4790K, clocked at 4.6Ghz. The new 10700K seems to be the ideal CPU for MSFS (the 10900K has more cores, but MSFS doesn't utilize them).

I keep seeing people say that MSFS doesn't utilize additional cores beyond four, or some say six, but that's not at all what I see here.  I run a 10900K with HT off, and MSFS/Win10 is most definitely distributing the workload across all 10 cores.  Flying the Caravan around one of the big buffed-up airports (KDEN), I see all of the cores fluctuating around the approximately 35% mark with occasional spikes on some that don't come close to maxxing any one core out.  This is running with frames locked to 30 by VSyncing to a 4K display with a 30 Hz refresh rate.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Forget Intel, they're in the backburner now. New AMD Ryzen ZEN3 cores are soon to arrive and THOSE will be the CPUs to go for.

Yes and Jensen is holding some GPU`s back to release end of year.

In in-depth test of MSFS core clock is still king, i ran a flight today HT on all cores in use just done my BIOS update ready for some tweaking. 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

I may be building a new rig after I've moved location. And guess what I'll be going for? Intel! 😉 

Don't care if on paper Ryzen is superior. There's something about Intel CPU's I like. I understand them, they are familiar. And recently I built a rig for someone and cant say I was impressed with the way AMD CPU's spike. Slightest thing you do, the CPU spikes. Had to set a custom fan curve so that the fans wouldn't ramp up till temp was above 50. No big deal, but I'm just not feeling AMD chips to be honest.

Each to his/her own. 🙂 

2 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I am aware of that. But like in most cases, it's the CPU. My 1080ti is just yawning in MSFS.

I paired my 1080 TI with an i5 9600K @ 5Ghz (Full specs below) and I have to say it performs admirably well once the sim loads and settles with pretty decent settings but certainly not Ultra across the board. I can maintain 60FPS a good deal of the time but I am using a 42" 1080P LED TV. Of course the FPS takes a hit at huge airports but I do not generally fly in and out of those. Even the modded A320 performs pretty well now and I am sure with updates the optimizations will improve.

I certainly would not be in a hurry to fall down the hardware upgrade rabbit hole when I get fantastic performance in X-Plane 11 with a ton of Ortho4XP and birds like the FF A320, FF 757 V2 and of course the Zibo 737 with my current rig.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Each to his/her own. 🙂 

Exactly. I'm glad i did test them, so i know the "on paper" is Intel's "weapon" right now, because in real life use, things have indeed changed.

Besides, next upgrade would require a new motherboard once again whereas AMD will still be AM4.

Each to his own indeed, in full PCIe 4.0 speed.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Upvote 3

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

3 hours ago, EmaRacing said:

Why Intel though?
AMD's price\performance in multicore is unbeatable ATM.

Depends on your priorities. If single core performance is is more important than overall price vs multi-core performance then Intel might be the way to go.

I have a R5 2600x on a X570 board that I built just before MSFS was announced. I'm sticking with this motherboard, chip-set, and memory setup until. Zen4/Ryzen 5000 and Alder Lake are both out with DDR5 memory.

In the meantime any CPU upgrades I will definitely wait for Zen3/Ryzen 4000 chips to come out.

But if I was buying a whole system today I would go Intel based on the better single thread performance.

Edited by ANCRM114

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

Never go on paper launches the 3080 has proved that in MSFS not much better than a 2800ti you have got use 4K to get some benefit. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Guru3D has done a performance oriented review of MSFS 2020.  Great reading for those looking to upgrade.  I hope it gets periodically updated:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/microsoft-flight-simulator-(2020)-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html

Interestingly it sort of dismisses the 10900k as not necessary.  One of their final comments is telling:

Guru3d wrote:
As you have been able to see, something is bottlenecking at Full HD as the cards are just too close towards each other. This might be CPU related, but also can be a throttle based on retrieving satellite imagery from the cloud servers. We'll have to investigate a bit more to see what is going on there.

Reading between the lines here, why the meager performance of the 2080ti at 1920x1080?  Definitely not a gcard issue.  Perhaps the Cloud access...if so, would manual caching alleviate this problem?  My gut tells me this: Is MSFS going to be just like it's always been with M S F S...always chasing rainbows for that elusive "perfect settings with perfect performance"?

BTW, I got my sights set on a 20GB edition of the 3080 when it hit the streets eventually.  Until that time, my 4 years old gtx 1070 will get me through adequately well using "High-End" and externally limited to 30 fps.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

BTW, I got my sights set on a 20GB edition of the 3080 when it hit the streets eventually.

LOL how many body organs will you sell?

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Well look at my PC spec in sig below.

Hopefully tomorrow 2pm UK I can order new PC 10900K@4.9 ( All cores), 32RAM 3200Hz 14-14-14-31, 3080, SSD M.2

Won the lottery, David?  😁

• Like 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Did anyone read the change log for today's major update.  Did all of this discussion just become obsolete?  Guess the next few days will tell.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere