Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

Reviews of the 3080 coming in! A list for now

The main problem is that these outlets have no experience with sims (haven't seen a single X-Plane benchmark in the past). They take a small plane, fly around their rural hometown and call it a day. I want to see LAX rush hour take-offs in airliners, then we're talking. Another problem is that most of these benchmarks fail to take into account the CPU limitation of the sim. It took me weeks to balance my sim, and as a matter of fact, if I swapped my 1080ti for a 3080 today, I would see no benefit, not a single frame. It's different for 4K users probably, but if anything, the GPU should always have headroom while the CPU is dictating the framerate.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

The main problem is that these outlets have no experience with sims (haven't seen a single X-Plane benchmark in the past). They take a small plane, fly around their rural hometown and call it a day. I want to see LAX rush hour take-offs in airliners, then we're talking. Another problem is that most of these benchmarks fail to take into account the CPU limitation of the sim. It took me weeks to balance my sim, and as a matter of fact, if I swapped my 1080ti for a 3080 today, I would see no benefit, not a single frame. It's different for 4K users probably, but if anything, the GPU should always have headroom while the CPU is dictating the framerate.

Defintely true. I guess the video from digital foundry was a good one with NEw York as test ground.

• Like 1

Victor Roos

When does the 3090 NDA get lifted? Next week?

Ryzen 9 3950X / RTX 2080 Ti / 32GB DDR4 (3200MHz @ 14-14-14-34)

I liked this one.

• Upvote 1

Asus ROG  Strix x 470-f, Ryzen 2700X,Flare X (4x8)3200 CL14 ,EVGA  GTX 1070 Ti, 970 EVO 500GB  NVMe, 860 EVO 1TB, 860 EVO 2TB,Seasonic TX-850, Hauppauge 1 HVR-1265, LG  27UK650-W 4K Monitor

21 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Yes, I want to see LAX rush hour take-offs and landings in airliners, then we talk real benchmarks.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

my overly simplistic takeaway from what I've seen is improvements in 4k and 1440P.  No improvement in 1080P.  I'm curious to see if VRAM compression in P3DV5 feels any different.   

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next