Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

RTX 3080 - Flight Simulator 2020 Benchmarks

2 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Terrain and objects LOD weigh on the CPU (main thread) much more than on the GPU, that's very well known by now. Many people observed that the sim is CPU limited even at 4K when the LOD sliders are maxed out. You can see it clearly from the benchmark posted here.

With a good card (RTX 2080 and above) I would recommend Ultra presets but with LOD sliders down to 100. 

At the current state of development (DX 11), MSFS is not a good GPU benchmark and if you're planning an upgrade just for this game you'd better save for the next generation of CPUs which will have a higher IPC and frequency.

I'm 4k ultra with a 200 lod but the Sim always says I'm limited by GPU not CPU, I have a 1080 ti and an i78700k

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

2 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

I'm 4k ultra with a 200 lod but the Sim always says I'm limited by GPU not CPU, I have a 1080 ti and an i78700k

It also depends on the area you fly on. Try Manhattan or Heathrow airport. 

With the RTX 3080 used in the benchmark posted, they experienced CPU bottleneck at 4K Ultra.  

However the 1080 Ti is a 3 years old card and absolutely not suitable for 4K / Ultra. With the same card I play at 1440p / High and there's no headroom for more in my opinion.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Meh, 3080 does nothing for me...  Just my opinion but the 3080 will be upgraded to a 3080 Super or TI very shortly... 3080 has 10G DDR, 3090 has 24G, that is a huge delta especially with DX12 and more GPU hungry titles being released. My "prediction" is a 16G 3080 Super card that will slot in between the 3080 and 3090 price and performance wise but Nvidia wants to push the 3090 first... Personally I think that will be the card to have. Just my .02 though In either case I just picked up a 49" 5120*1440 120hz ultra wide to make sure I have enough pixels to make the card work LOL!!!

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

7 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

It also depends on the area you fly on. Try Manhattan or Heathrow airport. 

With the RTX 3080 used in the benchmark posted, they experienced CPU bottleneck at 4K Ultra.  

However the 1080 Ti is a 3 years old card and absolutely not suitable for 4K / Ultra. With the same card I play at 1440p / High and there's no headroom for more in my opinion.

Fair call,I only fly in Australia which is not as demanding some of the bigger cities

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

8 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

With a good card (RTX 2080 and above) I would recommend Ultra presets but with LOD sliders down to 100.  At the current state of development (DX 11), MSFS is not a good GPU benchmark and if you're planning an upgrade just for this game you'd better save for the next generation of CPUs which will have a higher IPC and frequency.

I currently use an RTX 2070 Super w/ a 9900K@ 4.8Ghz HT enabled , vsync to 30Hz 3440x1440 screen.  I rarely ever see the average CPU utilization go over 20-30% and that is w/ LOD sliders at 200, and most all other settings at Ultra.   In fact TO out of Denver area which has plenty of scenery objects and most of the time CPU use average was under 20%.  FSDT KORD necessitated reducing various sliders to prevent the 8Gb VRAM limit from being hit after which frames dump into the toilet.  And the 16 threads are quite well balanced.  So far this sim-game needs more GPU and VRAM.  2070 Super is roughly 14% slower than 2080Ti and w/ less VRAM.   I may jump into 3090 or maybe wait until 3080 w/ 16+Gb of VRAM appears.  3090 is overkill right now but presumably will become useful once DX12 arrives if it does.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

What an utter fail...  Looks like all the bots got the 3080's, every site went from "coming soon" to Sold Out or unavailable instantaneously, they are already on ebay but no one seems to actually have one.   NewEgg crashed, B&H crashed, Amazon never had any, Best Buy's site couldn't keep up Nvidia just showed sold out, what a joke.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Local Microcenter in Denver has some.  In store purchase only.  

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

1 minute ago, helloo said:

Local Microcenter in Denver has some.  In store purchase only.  

Do they actually have them?  I heard they gave out vouchers but never actually had any... Nvidia is already talking about the 20gig 3080 so that's the play...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Absolutely astonishingly fascinating that nobody is interested in testing vr performance with this card. Not talking fs 2020 of course as there is no vr support talking in general here.  Seem to be an absolute Borg mentality amoung the review sites where they test everything the exact same way with the same benchmarks with no ability to look past their own horizon of testing how they have always done!

2D results do nothing to make me jump from 2080ti though though seem to be at times the 25 % performance increase is there in FS 2020 to but far from norm 🙂

I don't think anyone actually has the 3080. A big FAIL on NVIDIA's part. One of the most horrible launches ever.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 9/16/2020 at 10:39 AM, bobcat999 said:

I think it shows that the 3080 is a good 4k card, but other than that, not much point in upgrading from a 2080Ti at the moment.

I am happy with 1440 at 130 scaling and TAA anyway on my 23 inch monitor.  I can see enough detail, read all of the instruments, and no real jaggies.

Engine optimisations will come, but I don't expect massive improvement.  We all live in hope of getting that extra 10 fps for nothing, but normally there will be a cost in quality.

I think the instrument refresh rate hack has brought the best fps improvement we will see in the sim.

PS. this doesn't mention much about if it becomes CPU locked with the bigger card, but nice to see the 1080Ti results are roughly in line with what I see.

23 inch monitor.  Get yourself a 4K big screen for FS20!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I don't think anyone actually has the 3080. A big FAIL on NVIDIA's part. One of the most horrible launches ever.

Totally agree. This is a total scam. In Germany, the 3080 FE was sold out after 1 minute. The „low“ prices are a joke. Supply was intentionally kept scarce. Nobody will be able to get hold of a 3080 for 700 dollars (or euros).

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

It seems to me that they are asking the wrong question.  

The question should be how much further  beyond ultra can you go with The 3080 without losing any fps.  E.g can you set the render slider to 200 ( equiv to 4 x supersampling) with a 4K monitor and increase the shadow buffer to 2048?

Well I order a new PC today with a 3080

10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON : AIO Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm : 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 14-14-14-31: RTX 3080 : Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus : 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2

This is what they told me here in the UK

The first batch of cards are not coming to the 23rd of sept, 15 of them and all will go to PC builds, none to be sold as just cards, because I ordered a PC just after 2 pm when they were released, I am getting one, but will not get PC to around 2-8th Oct and they think I will be one of the first to get one. 

Make of that as you please. 🙂

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Curious to find out if the benchmarks are still the same with the new drivers Nvidia released today.

I’m sure they are optimized for the 30xx series cards!

Chris Camp