Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

RTX 3080 - Flight Simulator 2020 Benchmarks

Yes because the Unreal engine worked straight out of the box! Around five years after the release of FSX there was one of the original devs talking about how the original code had major issues with performance and how they never really sorted it out. It might even be here on the AVSIM forums

3 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

You may not fully understand how CPU utilisation works, It's basically low due to the software  not using CPU cycles and cores to their advantage. This is why when you put a card such as the 2080 you wont see any large gains. 

Oh I see thank you.  So let me paraphrase to see if I have this correct:   CPU utilization is so low because the old legacy code (that would be the 'software') is so terribly inefficient, hence how sad they used this as the base platform.  Um...why is it then that so much more is being displayed w/ perfect fluid video animation, and only using a fraction of the CPU cycles FSX/P3D 4.5 does?  Gee,. they really screwed up, how sad 😰

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

Oh I see thank you.  So let me paraphrase to see if I have this correct:   CPU utilization is so low because the old legacy code (that would be the 'software') is so terribly inefficient, hence how sad they used this as the base platform.  Um...why is it then that so much more is being displayed w/ perfect fluid video animation, and only using a fraction of the CPU cycles FSX/P3D 4.5 does?  Gee,. they really screwed up, how sad 😰

You sound upset for some odd reason. Yes I'm not saying that it is never fluid, more so the main issue is the unstable frame rate, hence why performance tanks when using glass cockpit in any airliner (not so much in the Airbus) but still significant. If you fly around using only external views then you personally may not be seeing this. Before you attempt some kind of rebuttal please take a look around these forums 🙂

Upset?  Nope, just disagree with some of your claims, which is different from being upset, in case you're confused.  You state, "You may not fully understand how CPU utilisation works, It's basically low due to the software  not using CPU cycles and cores to their advantage."   What I see in MSFS w/ regard to CPU utilization is all 16 threads happily running around 17%-35%, never getting anywhere close to a bottleneck.  So no, it's not a case of CPU cycles not being used--it's using exactly what it needs, and there is massive headroom to exploit by for example study-level aircraft.   And I'd far rather see the sim being far more GPU dependent--it's a lot easier to upgrade than the entire box, so I'm stoked about this reality in MSFS.   Gone is the CPU-limited days of FSX and former versions of P3D.   This sim needs more GPU, which is what I plan to give it when the right GPU becomes available.  When DX12 is supported it will be even more so the case.  And once again, the real acid test all theory aside, is what is being displayed at a steady and smooth frame rate.  I'm thankfully in the camp not looking for more frame rate--vsync to a 30Hz screen delivers liquid smooth video in both MSFS & P3D 4.5.  The only thing that threatens that is hitting 100% GPU utilization or hitting the VRAM limit of 8Gb which is easy to do in places like FSDT KORD.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, Noel said:

Upset?  Nope, just disagree with some of your claims, which is different from being upset, in case you're confused.  You state, "You may not fully understand how CPU utilisation works, It's basically low due to the software  not using CPU cycles and cores to their advantage."   What I see in MSFS w/ regard to CPU utilization is all 16 threads happily running around 17%-35%, never getting anywhere close to a bottleneck.  So no, it's not a case of CPU cycles not being used--it's using exactly what it needs, and there is massive headroom to exploit by for example study-level aircraft.   And I'd far rather see the sim being far more GPU dependent--it's a lot easier to upgrade than the entire box, so I'm stoked about this reality in MSFS.   Gone is the CPU-limited days of FSX and former versions of P3D.   This sim needs more GPU, which is what I plan to give it when the right GPU becomes available.  When DX12 is supported it will be even more so the case.  And once again, the real acid test all theory aside, is what is being displayed at a steady and smooth frame rate.  I'm thankfully in the camp not looking for more frame rate--vsync to a 30Hz screen delivers liquid smooth video in both MSFS & P3D 4.5.  The only thing that threatens that is hitting 100% GPU utilization or hitting the VRAM limit of 8Gb which is easy to do in places like FSDT KORD.

I'm now curious as to what hardware setup you have..................

4 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

I'm now curious as to what hardware setup you have..................

That would be below my signature after System.  

Noel

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

That would be below my signature after System.  

Ok more to the point are you using any head tracking devices?

27 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

I hope not at 30hz....! 

35 minutes ago, Plimmy said:

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I hope not at 30hz....! 

I've said all I need to, you're on your own to answer your own questions going forward.

Cheers

Edited by Noel

Noel

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Actually that's a known Bot "provider" (including malicious bots).  

There are plenty of tools to block "bad Bots":

https://www.shieldsquare.com/block-bots-traffic/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkoz7BRBPEiwAeKw3q17r-l7aaYQBjmJBD9qQ3XffiOfBg37I_Evc59YkKxcoQ8baUOlbJRoCZq0QAvD_BwE

https://www.reblaze.com/product/bot-management/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkoz7BRBPEiwAeKw3qzucw_rWIZDqaIW5_Q8lhV6qX_FLht-lCeIsYtBccFflzd1yUNl33BoCq1IQAvD_BwE

https://moz.com/blog/how-to-stop-spam-bots-from-ruining-your-analytics-referral-data

Bot blocking is all part of the www game, NewEgg have bot blockers in place, sounds like nVidia doesn't which in itself tells a story ... hmmm.

Nothing really new here, "Bounce Alerts" will probably disappear into the ether (come back with some other company name) pretty quickly leaving many holding the "bag of investment" and their dream of making a quick $25,000 shattered ... hopefully they didn't buy on credit, doooh!  And $75/mo for access to these Bots, wow, scam the scammer ... it really has evolved into a dog eat dog world.

Cheers, Rob.

Card Wars, Episode IV: The Wrath Of..........

Consumers.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

No way ,3080

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

21 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

No way ,3080

True but cant get 1.  I run 1440 and in the bench there doesn't look to be much difference.

10 minutes ago, Lynchie said:

True but cant get 1.  I run 1440 and in the bench there doesn't look to be much difference.

Id still wait 2080 is no slouch in the mean time, wait for 3080 with 20 gb, you never know you might decide to go 4k, it looks fantastic

Edited by Jetman67

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K