Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Can I write a negative review at Avsim?

Hi,

I had a very bad experience with a scenery product. I am wondering if I can write my negative experience in Avsim or there are specific rules against negative reviews?

• Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Yup. You sure can do a negative review so long as it is your honest finding. And here's why...

When I started as a reviewer for Avsim years ago, I asked the founder, Tom Allensworth the very same question. My question was along the lines of:

Given that we had been presented with review copies, are we in any way compelled to be nice about them?

This was a long time ago, but I can still clearly recall the gist of his reply, which was:

As long as you are honest and thorough in your review, then don't feel under any pressure to praise a product which you don't find is worthy of it, otherwise our reviews will not be trusted and will essentially be worthless. Put what you think. If it is honest, people will appreciate it, and honesty is in-keeping with what Avsim is about.

Fortunately, I rarely, if ever, got to review anything which truly sucked, but it was good to know that the boss of Avsim wanted me to say so if I found that something less than praiseworthy. So you are following the desires of Avsim's founder if you criticise something which you legitimately feel deserves criticism.

I will add though, if you can, try to put a positive spin on anything negative you have to say, perhaps pointing out how it might be improved, rather than just being nasty about it. Also be sure of your facts. If it was for example really problematic to install, be sure it was not a user error; some products can clash with others, and this means it might not actually be a problem with the product itself and may even be caused by the other product, so make sure this is not the case. When I used to review stuff for Avsim, I would usually put it on a clean install of the base program, just to make sure of this, then add other things to make sure it did not clash; and that's not a bad way to go about reviewing stuff.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

20 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

Hi,

I had a very bad experience with a scenery product. I am wondering if I can write my negative experience in Avsim or there are specific rules against negative reviews?

As long as you are fair and factual then post it as a message in the appropriate forum here.  When I see the term Review I think of something submitted through the moderators for them to post.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thank you guys. Yes Frank I meant to write it as a thread. Its not just the product that was bad and not as advertised it's also how the developer handled this and even threaten me because I asked a Paypal refund. I think its unacceptable behavior but I also don't know if its against Avsims rules to talk "bad" about a developer. 

• Upvote 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

AVSIM encompasses flight simulation which includes any and all developers, so I would hope that you can talk "bad" about a developer if that is your experience, and why.

Now of course you may experience some "backlash" from people who genuinely are enthusiastic about the product and/or the developer but that's to be expected, not just here, but in many walks of life.

Your Mileage May Vary, as the saying goes.

In fact I think that you're one of the few people to consider this aspect. 🍻

Please, post up your bad experience - other members might have experienced a similar occurrence. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Just remember to keep your response polite and not to rant/rave or bash the developer.  If you can't keep it within those guidelines, I would suggest that you email the developer and hash it out between you two.  I do realize you want to make it known to others about your experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

21 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Just remember to keep your response polite and not to rant/rave or bash the developer.  If you can't keep it within those guidelines, I would suggest that you email the developer and hash it out between you two.  I do realize you want to make it known to others about your experience.

Top drawer advice!

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere